Biggest bust of all time? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Biggest bust of all time?

If you’re talking about being drafted by Miami. Here is my list.

1. Dion Jordan -Being drafted #3 overall.
2. Yatil Green
3. Jamar Fletcher
4. Charles Harris
Unfortunately for us, Charles Harris wouldn't make my top 10 draft busts. Maybe not top 20.

Well, Tua does have a chance to be an injury bust. John Bosa was a good player for Miami, but couldn't stay on the field. To me, that is the definition of an injury bust. Someone who obviously had the talent to be great in the NFL, but couldn't stay healthy.
Yatil Green falls into that same category. He had a injury history at UM and yet the Dolphins still drafted him in the first round and then he just continued to sustain injuries. He wasn’t a bust. The people who decided to draft a player who was constantly injured in college in the first round were the real bust.

Hopefully Tua will not be another example of a player who was constantly injured in college and then has similar injuries in the NFL.

How could one judge when we know not the circumstances of such "being a bust"? I mean, I have definite questions about the guy to begin with and stated them many times before the draft. People certainly like him as a prospect but I wouldn't label him can't miss.

Over Cam Cameron?

Cam Cameron was a head coach that didn't work out. Nick Saban wrote books about how awesome he was. People worshipped the ground he walked on. He came to the NFL as the next great coach, and what's even crazier is that the fact his post-Dolphins career leaves him as one of the top college coaches of all time means that it might not have been unwarranted. Still, he crashed and burned, and when he left with his tail behind his legs he did it in shameful fashion.

For us or in NFL? For NFL he wont be close to guys like JaMarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf.

For us? Maybe? If its injuries no. Otherwise I'd say yes

In the NFL I would go hands down Ted Gregory DT Broncos R1 pick in 1988. He didn't even make it out of training camp being traded to the Saints where he only played 3 games because of a knee injury.

My apologies...9-7 just missed the playoffs.

Still, I wouldn't call that a bust. People dislike Saban because he left the team cold. but he wasn't even close to the biggest bust.

C'mon man, the was 4-7 that year when the games mattered, and then when we were out of hit he compiled wins against bottom feeding teams (minus the Chargers), the Patriots backups (which we barely beat), and used the relief arm of Sage Rosenfels (which was deadly in relief that year) to steal two wins that his ineffective starting QB would not have had a chance to win...again against sad sack teams.

Tony Sparano and Adam Gase were both able to make the playoffs in their first season by riding similar weak schedules...they followed those up poorly as well.

What happened the next year, once expectation had built up? He crashed and burned. On a team that was believed to be a Super Bown contender. It wasn't just that he picked the wrong QB...he made bad decisions over and over. The only good one was bringing Ricky back in. Saban's first year is also why I caution fans about Flores. Lots of bad coaches who have a skill in their game can exceed expectations on a bad team. It's when you actually have the expectation of playing good football week in and week out that really defines you. Flores has a lot of questions, and last year's management of the running game, personnel decisions (trading away talent, playing players in the wrong position), and QB decisions don't have me convinced. We will see.

In the NFL I would go hands down Ted Gregory DT Broncos R1 pick in 1988. He didn't even make it out of training camp being traded to the Saints where he only played 3 games because of a knee injury.

Sounds like a huge bust but I've never heard of the guy before. The ones who end up on the big bust lists for posterity always have some kind of story or dramatic event that put them in the public focus before they were drafted or placed them there afterwards. Despite being drafted number one overall, if you couldn't understand why Jamarcus Russell was a high likelihood to not pan out, I can't really help you. He makes a great story in hindsight..

I guess where you're a Dolphins fan you think of the things that have gone wrong a lot more than the things that have gone right.

Ryan Leaf was the WOAT.
JaMarcus Russell was a worst pick ever in the NFL because he was the first pick in the draft and he was a terrible NFL QB. He was lazy and a terrible teammate who blamed his lousy play on everyone else on the team but himself.

Back
Top Bottom