Biggest bust of all time? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Biggest bust of all time?

We all hope that Tua is the guy, but if doesn’t pan out bcuz of anything but injuries will he be the biggest bust ever?

Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf would be nearly impossible For Tua to pass up in that department.

Both of those guys were drafted 1st overall, and both crashed and burnt so hard it’s impossible to see Tua not facing challenges that reveal themselves in his life head on.

If he is a so called bust then it will he he don of one of
The greatest brotherhoods of all time!

Fletcher worst pick instead of Brees
John Avery (Jimmy Johnson pick) which was a trade down from 20 where Randy Moss would have been picked.

Tua is the opposite of a Bust. He is a winner already and bringing that winning IT factor to the Phins.

Bro there is no way Tua is a bust. Injuries are the only thing that can stop him. I just dont see it. You dont go from slinging the rock like that to nothing.

In the words of my friend Ricky "He got a Corvette body."

Yatil Green falls into that same category. He had a injury history at UM and yet the Dolphins still drafted him in the first round and then he just continued to sustain injuries. He wasn’t a bust. The people who decided to draft a player who was constantly injured in college in the first round were the real bust.

Hopefully Tua will not be another example of a player who was constantly injured in college and then has similar injuries in the NFL.

It looks like he played in 9 games as a freshman, 11 games as a sophomore, and 9 games as a junior at UM.

I can't recall his exact injuries in college, but I'm not sure the catastrophic tearing of his ACL on the first day of training camp was destined to happen.

Tearing the same knee the following year pretty much did him in, although he lingered on for a couple more seasons.

Just a devastating, devastating injury.

Seriously though, if the question extends beyond players and draft picks, I'd say the biggest bust in team history was Nick Saban.

TFK

Most arrogant a$$hole in team history?Probably.

Biggest bust? Not even close.

Saban couldn't control the Players like he can in College so that's why he left he wasn't a bust. Deion Jordon, Rayn Leaf, and J Russell now those are Bust?

NFL - Jamarcis Russell, Dolphins - Dion Jordan. I cant put Yatil Green in the bust category due to the severe knee injury stuffed his career. That is not his fault.

Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf would be nearly impossible For Tua to pass up in that department.

Both of those guys were drafted 1st overall, and both crashed and burnt so hard it’s impossible to see Tua not facing challenges that reveal themselves in his life head on.

If he is a so called bust then it will he he don of one of
The greatest brotherhoods of all time!
Leaf was drafted second behind Manning, but yeah there were plenty of people advocating that he was better. He’ll always be the biggest bust for me due to the cost to trade up and the fact he was was such a dick; Russell was just lazy with a painkiller addiction. Akili Smith and Heath Shuler should get honourable mentions.

Last edited:
C'mon man, the was 4-7 that year when the games mattered, and then when we were out of hit he compiled wins against bottom feeding teams (minus the Chargers), the Patriots backups (which we barely beat), and used the relief arm of Sage Rosenfels (which was deadly in relief that year) to steal two wins that his ineffective starting QB would not have had a chance to win...again against sad sack teams.

Tony Sparano and Adam Gase were both able to make the playoffs in their first season by riding similar weak schedules...they followed those up poorly as well.

What happened the next year, once expectation had built up? He crashed and burned. On a team that was believed to be a Super Bown contender. It wasn't just that he picked the wrong QB...he made bad decisions over and over. The only good one was bringing Ricky back in. Saban's first year is also why I caution fans about Flores. Lots of bad coaches who have a skill in their game can exceed expectations on a bad team. It's when you actually have the expectation of playing good football week in and week out that really defines you. Flores has a lot of questions, and last year's management of the running game, personnel decisions (trading away talent, playing players in the wrong position), and QB decisions don't have me convinced. We will see.

I'm not arguing whether or not Saban was a good coach in the NFL, just not "the biggest bust of all time".

Leaf was drafted second behind Manning, but yeah there were plenty of people advocating that he was better. He’ll always be the biggest bust for me due to the cost to trade up and the fact he was was such a dick; Russell was just lazy with a painkiller addiction. Akili Smith and Heath Shuler should get honourable mentions.

that’s right, I thought he went first, but I forgot. :)

If you’re talking about being drafted by Miami. Here is my list.

1. Dion Jordan -Being drafted #3 overall.
2. Yatil Green
3. Jamar Fletcher
4. Charles Harris
Man, we can add so much to this list so easily. John Avery. Cecil Collins. Vernon Carey. John Beck,

When I hear bust I’m thinking picks made in Round 1. As for Russell being the worst the argument could be made but let’s not forget guys like Tom Couch, Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer and David Carr.

Back
Top Bottom