biggest bust | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

biggest bust

ercin13 said:
I'm not talkin about pamela lee.Last night i was watching espn classic they had the top 20 biggest nfl draft busts. dolphins didnt get in the top 20, but we did have steve emtman and lawrence phillips who were on the list. Who do you think was our biggest disappointment via draft, trade or signing. I think jimmy johnson was one.

well, 1st off, we didn't draft Emtman. I actually think that when we got him ( after all his injuries) he actually did OK but nowhere near where the Colts drafted him. We also didn't draft Phillips...that was St. Louie. We didn't give up a bunch for the guy but he's still a bust.

The biggest draft bust for anyone I still say was a tie between Leaf and the "great" :lol: OG from Michigan St. that Green Bay drafted #2 overall. :roflmao:

For the dolphins, Avery and Green jump to mind. But my biggest one for us was Eric Kumerow in the draft.

In a trade...for me it was Phillips. Again we didn't give up a lot and we all knew he had problems but he was truly wired like Mike Tyson...phycho. While I was and STILL AM a Ricky fan...giving up 2 #1s and what turned into a 3rd...was dissapointing only in the fact that we didn't make the playoffs even though he led the league in rushing one of those years and is no long actually with the team. If he was still with the team, I wouldn't have even brought it up.

My favorite FA signing of all time was Keith Jackson. I still remember how happy I was that the NFL granted him free agency....if I remember correctly that was the big year that the rules changed based on the Reggie White case. But I could be wrong. Ooops off subject.

Trust me, Priest never played for the Dolphins..

As for biggest busts, I'd have to put Yatil Green atop any list. This guy was supposed to help Dolphin fans elicit memories of the Marx Brothers and Paul Warfield. Instead, he had more trips to the injured reserve than he did impact plays and was gone before ever leaving any kind of positive memory.

Jamar Fletcher also was a pretty big bust. This guy was supposed to have Top of the 1st Shutdown skills.. If he did indeed possess those skills, he never showed them in Miami..

John Avery... Miami passed on Moss for this jackass.. Need I say anymore?

Billy Milner showed glimpses of promise, but not nearly as many as he should have. The best contribution he made to the Dolphins was when he was traded for Troy Drayton.

Eric Kumerow was a big heap of nothing for the Dolphins while in Miami, as was Sammy Smith...

I could keep on going but you guys get the idea.

zephon said:
well, 1st off, we didn't draft Emtman. I actually think that when we got him ( after all his injuries) he actually did OK but nowhere near where the Colts drafted him. We also didn't draft Phillips...that was St. Louie. We didn't give up a bunch for the guy but he's still a bust.
i never said we drafted emtman and phillips. they were on the top 20 bust list. I was just noting that they were the only 2 on the list to have played for us. Ryan leaf was #1 on the list. It was funny they showed the clip of leaf blowing up at the reporter in the locker room, guess who was there immediately to pull leaf out of there, none other than junior seau. i'm glad we have that leadership in our locker rooom.

Dolphins13Fan said:
Trust me, Priest never played for the Dolphins..

As for biggest busts, I'd have to put Yatil Green atop any list. This guy was supposed to help Dolphin fans elicit memories of the Marx Brothers and Paul Warfield. Instead, he had more trips to the injured reserve than he did impact plays and was gone before ever leaving any kind of positive memory.

Jamar Fletcher also was a pretty big bust. This guy was supposed to have Top of the 1st Shutdown skills.. If he did indeed possess those skills, he never showed them in Miami..

John Avery... Miami passed on Moss for this jackass.. Need I say anymore?

Billy Milner showed glimpses of promise, but not nearly as many as he should have. The best contribution he made to the Dolphins was when he was traded for Troy Drayton.

Eric Kumerow was a big heap of nothing for the Dolphins while in Miami, as was Sammy Smith and John Offerdahl.

I could keep on going but you guys get the idea.

whoa...I'll certainly agree on Milner (with his spine already narrowing when we drafted him), Fletcher and Sammy Smith but I can't agree with Offerdahl. Granted he didn't play 12 years but he was very good. Just got injured too often later in his career.

Pretty much all the names have been covered here, but let's not forget the "Great White Hope"...the one and only Larry Shannon! Jimmy said he was going to be better than Randy Moss...how did that work out??

Also I'm waiting for someone to say Vernon Carey. It happens all the time a thread like this is open. :shakeno:

ercin13 said:
i never said we drafted emtman and phillips. they were on the top 20 bust list. I was just noting that they were the only 2 on the list to have played for us. Ryan leaf was #1 on the list. It was funny they showed the clip of leaf blowing up at the reporter in the locker room, guess who was there immediately to pull leaf out of there, none other than junior seau. i'm glad we have that leadership in our locker rooom.

oh, I wasn't trying to slam you or something...I was just noting it. Sorry if that came out wrong.

Another big bust was Todd Marinovich...I bring him up because I remember all the ESPN reports on the guy and his crazy dad. That one special they did on then was almost scary. His dad had "trained" him to be a NFL QB since he was like 6. No sodas, fast food, drinking...all that "bad stuff". He made him practice an extra 2 hours a day just on throwing technique above everything he was already doing. It's no wonder that when Todd was finally on his own (with the Raiders) he when overboard drinking and smoking pot (which the pot finally got him kicked out of football). He was so overhyped....maybe as much as anyone the last 30 years and he simply wasn't that good.

offerdahl a bust? granted he didn't have a long career, but he was a probowler before he had to retire because of injuries, no way would anyone consider him a bust.
pretty much all of the Fl college high picks were busts with miami, y. green, s. smith. r. hill come to mind

zephon said:
whoa...I'll certainly agree on Milner (with his spine already narrowing when we drafted him), Fletcher and Sammy Smith but I can't agree with Offerdahl. Granted he didn't play 12 years but he was very good. Just got injured too often later in his career.

Offerdahl had balls.. I can't label him a bust.. He gave it his all every down. Don't ask me why the hell I had him on my initial list.

IMO its grossly unfair to characterize players who were injured as "busts". How can you judge so harshly a man like Yatil Green? The guy signed early, for less money than he could have, just to get in and work with Marino. If he had played 5 games and been phenomenal, would he have than been a bust--or just unlucky. I guess David Overstreet was a bust, and Larry Gordon, too while were at it!

The biggest draft bust to me has to be Kumerow. He sucked. Truth is tho, he never should have been selected that high anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:
Noodle Arm said:
Pretty much all the names have been covered here, but let's not forget the "Great White Hope"...the one and only Larry Shannon! Jimmy said he was going to be better than Randy Moss...how did that work out??

Also I'm waiting for someone to say Vernon Carey. It happens all the time a thread like this is open. :shakeno:

Carey's got 2 more years in my opinion to do something with us. He's got the best (or one of the top 2 anyway) line coaches in the game. If he doesn't make a dent in the lineup the next 2 seasons...he becomes a bust for us.

Heck, unless he does something this year, he's likely to only be a 3rd string tackle and 2nd string RG (that might even be a stretch with Cook and Hadnot likely battling for RG). I'm hoping he makes the push for starting somewhere on the line but we actually have some talent know and it's not looking good IMO.

I know in 2000 we brought him in for a visit and I thought we acquired him! He had like 1000 yd season in 98 and only 500 in 99. I think that he might have then went back to Bal and then KC or straight to KC. I may be wrong on the actual signing but I thought we did.

I know it was due to injuries, but Yatil Green was a first round draft pick that gave us NOTHING.. it might be unfair to call him a bust, but, in my mind, he has to be included...

PHINZONER said:
I know in 2000 we brought him in for a visit and I thought we acquired him! He had like 1000 yd season in 98 and only 500 in 99. I think that he might have then went back to Bal and then KC or straight to KC. I may be wrong on the actual signing but I thought we did.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1645

That's the breakdown of his career.

zephon said:

OFFERDAHL are you kidding?????:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

Milner or KumerowWould be mine

Wouldn't be Bosa as he actually played well when he was fit

Back
Top Bottom