biggest bust | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

biggest bust

Here are a few that haven't been mentioned:

Randal Hill
John Bosa
Lorenzo Hampton
Jackie Shipp
J.J. Johnson

I know Priest never played a game for us but that does not mean he wasn"t w/ the team. I thought we signed then released him. Like I said I may be wrong. Should have signed him when he was in for the visit. I know he came in for a visit in 2000 guranteed.

I know Priest never played a game for us but that does not mean he wasn"t w/ the team. I thought we signed then released him on a roster cut. Like I said I may be wrong. Should have signed him and kept him when he was in for the visit. I know he came in for a visit in 2000 guranteed.

Ricky is hands down our biggest bust. We gave up a boat load to get him and we never saw the playoffs before he abandoned us. I Know that he was impressive for the 2 years we had him but he will always be the number 1 bust in my book. I would also have to put Yatil Green and Boston on the list. I had very high expectations for the both of them and never had the chance to see them play. Hopefully we sign Boston back and he can redeem himself.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Here are a few that haven't been mentioned:

Randal Hill
John Bosa
Lorenzo Hampton
Jackie Shipp
J.J. Johnson

I did mention Bosa, and apart from R Hill who went to the Cards all the others had some production at Miami, which is more than I can say for Kumerow and Milner. Another one who i had down as a great hope was Rick Graf-he didn't deliver

Ps is that your son on your avatar--he looks like a mighty fine fellow

PHINZONER said:
I know Priest never played a game for us but that does not mean he wasn"t w/ the team. I thought we signed then released him on a roster cut. Like I said I may be wrong. Should have signed him and kept him when he was in for the visit. I know he came in for a visit in 2000 guranteed.

I think that was Tyrone Wheatly. Priest did come for a visit when he was a RFA, as i remember when wanny was close to sign him to an offer sheet but decided to sign Lamar Smith instead.

Given To Fly said:
I think that was Tyrone Wheatly. Priest did come for a visit when he was a RFA, as i remember when wanny was close to sign him to an offer sheet but decided to sign Lamar Smith instead.

We had Droughns at one time too.

All Time Busts?

Basically every defensive player drafted from 1983 - 1995 with the exceptions of Offerdahl, Bowens, Vincent, Cox and Cross. Coleman was alright and Oliver was serviceable but overrated.

Shall we run down the list of defensive players drafted in the first three rounds during this span of time?

1983: Mike Charles (drugs), Charles Benson (don't even remember the guy)
1984: Jackie Shipp (BUST), Jay Brophy.
1985: George Little, Alex Moyer (huh?)
1986: John Offerdahl (warrior, Pro Bowler), T.J. Turner (um...)
1987: John Bosa (could'nt stay healthy), Rick Graf (BUST!)
1988: Eric Kummerow (MegaReachBust), Jarvis Williams (big hitter, could'nt cover)
1989: Louis Oliver (Another all hit no cover safety)
1990: Alfred Ogelsby (um...)
1991: We did'nt draft defense in the first three rounds that year...why I don't know.
1992: Troy Vincent (got hurt for us, played well and then walked because we had no cap room), Marco Coleman (he was alright), Eddie Blake (piece of crap), Larry Webster (got into drug issues, had a decent career elsewhere)
1993: No defense in the first three rounds again
1994: Tim Bowens (defensive rookie of the year, solid Pro Bowl player), Aubrey Beavers (BUST)
1995: No defense in rounds 1-3

Look at the list.....from 1983 - 1995 in rounds 1-3 we drafted a total of 19 defensive players in rounds 1-3.

What did we get for 12 years of drafts? 11 certified busts, 4 ok players, 2 players who played in the Pro Bowl for other teams and 2 homegrown Pro Bowlers.

That is a record of failure as far as drafting defense.

By the way...this post is for ALL the posters who club Jimmy over the head for failing to draft offense when he was here.

Jimmy had 4 drafts of failures on offense...the immortal Shula had 13 drafts of failures on defense.

I know this is off topic but whenever I see a list of "All Time Dolphin Busts" on this message board the John Avery's and Yatil Green's of the world always come up and then it is followed by the manditory "Jimmy could'nt draft offense/he ruined our team" or the "he passed on Randy Moss" revisionist history comes up...take a good LONG look at what Shula's skillful drafting did for this team for over a decade.A decade when we had the greatest player to ever play the sport behind center.

unifiedtheory said:
All Time Busts?

Basically every defensive player drafted from 1983 - 1995 with the exceptions of Offerdahl, Bowens, Vincent, Cox and Cross. Coleman was alright and Oliver was serviceable but overrated.

Shall we run down the list of defensive players drafted in the first three rounds during this span of time?

1983: Mike Charles (drugs), Charles Benson (don't even remember the guy)
1984: Jackie Shipp (BUST), Jay Brophy.
1985: George Little, Alex Moyer (huh?)
1986: John Offerdahl (warrior, Pro Bowler), T.J. Turner (um...)
1987: John Bosa (could'nt stay healthy), Rick Graf (BUST!)
1988: Eric Kummerow (MegaReachBust), Jarvis Williams (big hitter, could'nt cover)
1989: Louis Oliver (Another all hit no cover safety)
1990: Alfred Ogelsby (um...)
1991: We did'nt draft defense in the first three rounds that year...why I don't know.
1992: Troy Vincent (got hurt for us, played well and then walked because we had no cap room), Marco Coleman (he was alright), Eddie Blake (piece of crap), Larry Webster (got into drug issues, had a decent career elsewhere)
1993: No defense in the first three rounds again
1994: Tim Bowens (defensive rookie of the year, solid Pro Bowl player), Aubrey Beavers (BUST)
1995: No defense in rounds 1-3

Look at the list.....from 1983 - 1995 in rounds 1-3 we drafted a total of 19 defensive players in rounds 1-3.

What did we get for 12 years of drafts? 11 certified busts, 4 ok players, 2 players who played in the Pro Bowl for other teams and 2 homegrown Pro Bowlers.

That is a record of failure as far as drafting defense.

By the way...this post is for ALL the posters who club Jimmy over the head for failing to draft offense when he was here.

Jimmy had 4 drafts of failures on offense...the immortal Shula had 13 drafts of failures on defense.

I know this is off topic but whenever I see a list of "All Time Dolphin Busts" on this message board the John Avery's and Yatil Green's of the world always come up and then it is followed by the manditory "Jimmy could'nt draft offense/he ruined our team" or the "he passed on Randy Moss" revisionist history comes up...take a good LONG look at what Shula's skillful drafting did for this team for over a decade.A decade when we had the greatest player to ever play the sport behind center.
Great post.

Back
Top Bottom