Bill Barnwell proposes Chiefs trade Chris Jones to Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Barnwell proposes Chiefs trade Chris Jones to Dolphins

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

The Chiefs have been very positive about keeping Jones in any public-facing remarks, and the lineman has done the same, stating he wants to finish his career with the Chiefs. It makes the most sense for the Chiefs to hang on to Jones for at least one more year, even if it’s on the franchise tag amount, in order to make another Super Bowl run with such a valuable player.

However, if Brett Veach has surveyed the financial future of the team and decided that having another $100 million deal simply is not feasible going forward, Barnwell has an option with a team that holds multiple first round picks. Specifically he has the Chiefs giving up a fourth round pick and Jones in exchange for the No. 26 overall selection. He writes:

The Dolphins spent millions to improve their defense this offseason, but the pass-rushers they imported were guys like Shaq Lawson and Emmanuel Ogbah. Both have upside, but neither is a star. Jones is, and the Dolphins have both the cap space and the draft capital to get a deal done.

Will see if this happens.

I'd give up 26 and a 4th for him. Since 2017 he has the 7th most sacks of any defensive linemen with 31, and he'll only be 26 when the season starts. What are the chances we get a player of his caliber with the 26th pick in the draft?

Its the contract he’ll demand that concerns me. If it was just him and his talent, I’d be all about it. But to give up a first and likely a contract that would pay him upwards of 20M a season? Woof.

Its the contract he’ll demand that concerns me. If it was just him and his talent, I’d be all about it. But to give up a first and likely a contract that would pay him upwards of 20M a season? Woof.

I mean that's the price for having elite talent, if Jason Taylor, Madison, Surtain, and Thomas were all playing in this era of football at least 3 of them of them would be making 16-20 million right now. If we hit on blue chip talent with in the next 2 drafts some of those dudes are going to require 20+ million salaries, thats just the nature of the beast.

They will have to do better than a 4th. I’ll need that 2021 2nd or pick 96 this year and a 5th next year.

Sorry KC, we win trades in Miami now.

Great player sure, would love to have him but we don’t have to have him. Pick 26 and the cap space are worth quite a bit. Ask Houston.

You deal with us, you settle.

I mean that's the price for having elite talent, if Jason Taylor, Madison, Surtain, and Thomas were all playing in this era of football at least 3 of them of them would be making 16-20 million right now. If we hit on blue chip talent with in the next 2 drafts some of those dudes are going to require 20+ million salaries, thats just the nature of the beast.

I agree completely. So the question becomes if DT an important enough position in this defense to warrant that salary? I don’t believe so.

Back
Top Bottom