Bill Lazor, was Philbin holding him back? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Lazor, was Philbin holding him back?

Called a great game today. I like to believe there was a reason we kept him. Wasnt long ago he was the hottest name on the market.

Of course Philbin did and coach Camp was there to probably observe all of it.

But today you could see Camp stressed rushing the ball to Lazor and to make his plays based off of that. Outside of that I'm confident that Camp let Lazor do his own thing.

Like 1/2 of our plays from scrimmage seemed like WR screens in weeks 1-4. A lot of our plays today were faking the WR screen. That'll even out a little bit. What can have some longevity is the classic play action passing game. Run the ball and you can set up the pass. It's not gonna change.

Lazor is capable of calling a good game. If the head coach has to step in a provide some direction - so be it - that's his job. However, that small piece of evidence, last's year San Diego's game, tells me this is about Phibin holding Lazor back. We'll see.

Lazor is capable of calling a good game. If the head coach has to step in a provide some direction - so be it - that's his job. However, that small piece of evidence, last's year San Diego's game, tells me this is about Phibin holding Lazor back. We'll see.

How so? Philbin was on the sideline that game.

GeForce, Philbin was on the sideline during the Charger game but was away all week while the team prepared without him. When the game started the team was ready and they crushed SD. If Joe was putting the game plan together for SD we wouldn't have come out ready to play. When Joe gives you his classic excellent week of preparation you can bet the team is going to get hammered. Hands off all week and the team was awesome. Joe fired, the team was awesome. This is not coincidence. The man had zero ability to coach a football team. Remember the Monday night Tampa Bay game? TB hadn't won a game all year, Joe puts together an excellent week of preparation and guess what, the worst team in football embarrasses us on Monday Night Football. Let's talk about the Jacksonville game, the Bills game, the Jets game, but then again lets not. Let's forget this bag of garbage ever sullied the hallowed halls of Dolphin Football. Let's see, Shula, Marino, Warfield, Griese,Stevenson, Moore,Morris, Williams, Taylor......PHILBIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How so? Philbin was on the sideline that game.

Easy. Philbin could have been in non-conservative mode that week. IMO that was his biggest issue as a HC. He constantly sent mixed signals to his team. One week the O looked like the 84 Dolphins, the next game they could look like the 2007 Dolphins O.

That damn RB toss sweep though...

f2fe50a75e8d92dc3b632fb3680dcef1-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We actually lined up in an I formation at one point and I was stunned. I actually had to stop and rewind the DVR just to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing. It even happened a second time later in the game. Be still my beating heart.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 using Tapatalk

LOL.....I saw the same thing and thought....damn, we look like a real team.

If I look at the aggressiveness on both side of the ball I do believe that Philbin had enormous influence on our offensive game and defensive game (just by simply keeping Coyle). This is the same offensive who barely scored 20 points against the Jaguars, 10 points against the Skins and looked like chicken **** against the Jets and Bills. Pretty much the same personnel. An OC does not jiust become overnight a good play caller. We looked like a totally different team on offense and defensive and the only thing what changed: Philbin and Coyle are gone.

I lean more towards Campbell challenging Lazor more so than Philbin holding him back.

I lean more towards Campbell challenging Lazor more so than Philbin holding him back.

You cannot change the basic philosophy of an OC in less than two weeks. Campbell was a tight end just a few years ago. He was an intern and then a TE coach here. He knows the playbook. He knows the personnel inside out being with them for years. The only thing Campbell did is what most good head coaches do: let an OC do their job. He took the shackles off. They might have discussed what play they should use but I think we have seen Lazor calling a game for the first time without Philbin holding him back.

You cannot change the basic philosophy of an OC in less than two weeks. Campbell was a tight end just a few years ago. He was an intern and then a TE coach here. He knows the playbook. He knows the personnel inside out being with them for years. The only thing Campbell did is what most good head coaches do: let an OC do their job. He took the shackles off. They might have discussed what play they should use but I think we have seen Lazor calling a game for the first time without Philbin holding him back.

I agree that the philosophy of the offensive scheme cannot be changed in two weeks. I disagree that Campbell did not have a huge impact on Lazor. I am speculating that he emphasized we will establish the running game. We will not quit on it. Are we clear?

I believe it is a little bit of both. It appears that Philbin made everyone look over their shoulder. Campbell freed both the players and the staff from fear of making mistakes. He emphasized being aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom