Bill Lazor | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Lazor

I hate the term regressing! Players that are young don't get worse
He is just showing what he is now, he has not regressed. Same guy he has been, there are ways to hide a qb's flaws. We hated Sherman for being a dinosaur with that terribly vanilla offense...Maybe Sherman knew what Tannehill is, he would know better than anyone. Maybe he knows Tannehill isn't capable of being asked to do a lot, and make multiple reads etc

Apparently Joe Philbin brought up route spacing and depth in his press conference again yesterday. Last week we thought that was a dig at the receivers.

This week I think it was a dig at Lazor. Almost every single play you send 3-4 guys out within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage...

There are a few instances of bad playcalling, but overall it has been better than Sherman, and our players are having a problem executing the offense, particularly the QB. One thing I notice is that Tannehill hasn't been changing the play at the LOS as much as he did under Sherman. I wonder if Lazor has even allowed him that responsibility.

Or Tannehill is simply regressing. It happens. The problem thus far has been purely on execution. Tannehill standing in the pocket too long, Miller not breaking tackles, Tannehill not throwing accurately, and receivers not catching passes.

I agree with this. It has been the same story for years. Sometimes it comes down to players making plays. Did Tannehill even try ONE deep pass yesterday? I don't think so? Gee I wonder why? How many dropped passes has their been? Absolutely putrid for the money these guys are being paid. Add to that the lingering problem of pocket awareness. I don't think it mattered one iota what plays were being called. These guys would've found a way to **** it yup.

We all expected growing pains with a new offensive system. Tannehill seems to not be a good fit for this system so far. He has to drop back and fire the ball in rhythm to be effective. He has almost zero instincts to move around the pocket to buy time and he simply doesn't feel pressure the way that most NFL QBs can. He does so many things well that it's a shame that the things he has trouble with are not being covered up by the scheme. If Lazor is indeed a guy that makes your QB better I like to see some signs of it quickly. The kid's going to get benched if he keeps hurting the team. It might be the best thing for him because he's cracking like an egg under the pressure. If he gets off to ANOTHER slow start in the first half I want to see what the highly paid Matt Moore can do. I want our team to win and it's not happening right now.

Coaching has been bad. Players have been bad. Can't throw, can't block, can't catch.

All I know is that when you bring in a guy to help your quarterback and your quarterback's efficiency numbers nosedive, and that guy calls twice as many passing plays as rushing plays when the game is close (for the majority of it) and you're running at 7 yards per clip, he probably deserves at least one of the 20 call-out threads on the front page of this board.

So how do we know if the play calling is bad if the players have been bad? Seems to me if players were making plays, then the play calling wouldnt look as bad.

So how do we know if the play calling is bad if the players have been bad? Seems to me if players were making plays, then the play calling wouldnt look as bad.

Simple: when you keep throwing the ball despite running it very effectively, and the difference in the game is only one score, you have failed as a coach. When you refuse to call deep shots or use your QB in the boot game, despite the fact that the defense is sitting on that three step drop and underneath stuff, you have failed as a coach. When you ask Cameron Wake to cover Joe McKnight instead of take a shot at Alex Smith, you have failed as a coach.

Yesterday was a complete failure of the entire team from the coaching on down to the punt team gunners. That includes the quarterback, he's just not the only one to be blamed like some people here would have it.

Simple: when you keep throwing the ball despite running it very effectively, and the difference in the game is only one score, you have failed as a coach. When you refuse to call deep shots or use your QB in the boot game, despite the fact that the defense is sitting on that three step drop and underneath stuff, you have failed as a coach. When you ask Cameron Wake to cover Joe McKnight instead of take a shot at Alex Smith, you have failed as a coach.

Yesterday was a complete failure of the entire team from the coaching on down to the punt team gunners. That includes the quarterback, he's just not the only one to be blamed like some people here would have it.

Amen. And yea I agree with all that. We were running well, but threw 6 out of every 7 plays when we were down by 6. Mind boggling.

This is not possible. I was assured on FH before the season started that our un-tested OC was surely a big upgrade.

I will say there is some silver lining in that the Eagles last year with Lazor a part of their O started 2-5 and then things started clicking and they made a run to the playoffs. Maybe just maybe it's a matter of a new O taking time to adapt. Could be but probably not. You never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What started clicking was a competent QB...once Foles took control that offense is unstoppable

This is not possible. I was assured on FH before the season started that our un-tested OC was surely a big upgrade.

let me guess, you stated from the beginning that Lazor was gonna suck!?

I was one of those people who was initially concerned about Lazor. I softened once I looked at some of the stuff he did at UVa and heard the way the team was talking about uptempo, Chip Kelly stuff. I heard what the beat reporters were saying about our offense in camp and I thought "Alright, this guy gets it."

I'm not giving up on the guy after 3 games, but right now he is struggling to find his footing as an offensive coordinator. He certainly deserves more benefit of the doubt than the people who have been here for 35 games (Tannehill, Taylor, Philbin, Coyle). Yet he also deserves criticism for making a lot of what may really be "rookie OC" mistakes.

Here's my issue with Lazor and I said it after the pats game so it's not hindsight, That patriots game might have been an aberration. It was his first game as an OC. There was no film on what his system looked like outside of pre-season. After week one, once teams have some film to breakdown tendencies. strenghts and weaknesses etc... the offense has been pretty bad. The first game, players were running wide open, even with several drops we were still able to put up points. Now it looks like players are having a much tough time getting open. Factor in the dropped passes and you have 10 and 15 point games.

I was one of those people who was initially concerned about Lazor. I softened once I looked at some of the stuff he did at UVa and heard the way the team was talking about uptempo, Chip Kelly stuff. I heard what the beat reporters were saying about our offense in camp and I thought "Alright, this guy gets it."

I'm not giving up on the guy after 3 games, but right now he is struggling to find his footing as an offensive coordinator. He certainly deserves more benefit of the doubt than the people who have been here for 35 games (Tannehill, Taylor, Philbin, Coyle). Yet he also deserves criticism for making a lot of what may really be "rookie OC" mistakes.

I was neither excited or dismayed about his hire. There were others I wanted more but I was open because we basically have very little history on Lazor as an OC.
I think too many people wanted to give the success of the Philly offense to the qb coach we hired to be OC

Back
Top Bottom