Bill Lazor | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Lazor

I was neither excited or dismayed about his hire. There were others I wanted more but I was open because we basically have very little history on Lazor as an OC.
I think too many people wanted to give the success of the Philly offense to the qb coach we hired to be OC

Honestly, I was hoping he would bring those Chip Kelly concepts here. I thought that if he could crib on what Kelly did and bring it down here, that will be an improvement. From what I heard about the offense in training camp, it sounded like that was going to be the case.

This isn't it, though.

I don't have the numbers to support it but I feel we were bad in the red zone last year and even worse this year.

We are using our best weapon more but now we don't spread the ball.

Lazor might have a better offense but he's doing a terrible job calling the plays.

Last year we were 11th (56.5%)
This year we are 21st (50%)

3 games is a pretty small sample size.

Honestly, I was hoping he would bring those Chip Kelly concepts here. I thought that if he could crib on what Kelly did and bring it down here, that will be an improvement. From what I heard about the offense in training camp, it sounded like that was going to be the case.

This isn't it, though.

never got a read on what I thought the offense would be. I was concerned with his lack of experience at NFL level period and outside of the one year in Philly his resume seemed far from stellar.

This isn't it, though.

We will run the "up tempo" when our offense learns how to execute it. We practiced it in camp, and we haven't seen it in the regular season because we cant play mistake free football, and we cant regularly convert to 1st downs. Our only TD yesterday came when we got the ball on the opponents 20 yard line. We cant even string together drives at normal pace, let alone up temp. If we actually ran that up tempo offense, we would just be increasing our chances for mistakes...and that game yesterday ends up being 45-15. Our time of possession would be 15 minutes to their 45 minutes. Our defense would be gassed in the 3rd quarter with all of our 3 and outs.

We will run the "up tempo" when our offense learns how to execute it. We practiced it in camp, and we haven't seen it in the regular season because we cant play mistake free football, and we cant regularly convert to 1st downs. Our only TD yesterday came when we got the ball on the opponents 20 yard line. We cant even string together drives at normal pace, let alone up temp. If we actually ran that up tempo offense, we would just be increasing our chances for mistakes...and that game yesterday ends up being 45-15. Our time of possession would be 15 minutes to their 45 minutes. Our defense would be gassed in the 3rd quarter with all of our 3 and outs.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again when it's not working, right?

Heres a thought on why Tannehill is reegressing. Our QB coach sucks!!!! He was barely qualified to start at lowly Nebraska in college. He never played a down in NFL yet he is coaching our QBs. Pathetic

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again when it's not working, right?

I didn't advocate doing the same thing over an over. What I did say was that when you play bad football at twice the speed, you will make twice the amount of mistakes. The problem is not the tempo, its the execution. When we learn how to execute the offense properly, we can then run the up tempo imo.

But why is Tannehill regressing? Last year he improved over his rookie year and now this? What went wrong, what changed? Bill Lazor is the new element, so he must shoulder some blame here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The book is out on how to defend him. It's over.

This isn't something new. You do remember the last 2 games last year don't you?

I didn't advocate doing the same thing over an over. What I did say was that when you play bad football at twice the speed, you will make twice the amount of mistakes. The problem is not the tempo, its the execution. When we learn how to execute the offense properly, we can then run the up tempo imo.

Just out of curiosity, did you watch Eagles/Skins on Sunday? Eagles offense couldn't score in the first half. They were running up-tempo and the game was a marathon of play after play on both sides of the ball, yet the Eagles had just 7 points on offense early on -- their other 7 came in the return game. Yet they stuck with it, putting their defense in bad spots and letting Washington go up and down the field on them. Then the dam broke.

I think that when your team is struggling you have to try some different things, and maybe give them more opportunities. I don't see this slow tempo short passing game as being of any value to our team, and clearly our quarterback isn't doing well with it. I don't think Matt Moore would do well in this offense either, FWIW.

In 2014 so far, Eagles are 3-0, offense is #2 in points scored, and Nick Foles is still doing fairly well (95.5 passer rating).

Meanwhile, Miami is a disaster, and Ryan Tannehill has regressed.

Maybe the success of the 2013 Eagles & Nick Foles was because of Chip Kelly, not Bill Lazor.

Just out of curiosity, did you watch Eagles/Skins on Sunday? Eagles offense couldn't score in the first half. They were running up-tempo and the game was a marathon of play after play on both sides of the ball, yet the Eagles had just 7 points on offense early on -- their other 7 came in the return game. Yet they stuck with it, putting their defense in bad spots and letting Washington go up and down the field on them. Then the dam broke.

I think that when your team is struggling you have to try some different things, and maybe give them more opportunities. I don't see this slow tempo short passing game as being of any value to our team, and clearly our quarterback isn't doing well with it. I don't think Matt Moore would do well in this offense either, FWIW.

I watched about a quarter of that game, but that just reinforces my point that we need get better with our offense first. Foles has been in that offense for 17 games now. I doubt he would have been able to do that in his 2nd or 3rd game in that offense last year.

And lets not forget how many times Foles was pressured...somewhere along the lines of zero times. I don't think its fair to say "because the Eagles did it, so can the Dolphins".

Lazor's offense so far this year looks alot like the one we ran last year with a few more shifts and moving parts. The tempo appears about the same so far if you ask me.
Even when the running game is effective it is quickly replaced with a throw every down cuse that's what they do now mentality just like last year.
When Pouncy and Moreno get back hopefully that will change regardless of who we have at QB.

This guy has sucked bad as OC. The offense has been putrid, even in the Pats win. Hyped up like crazy just like Miller has been. They both are nothing special. This is not an excuse for Philbin/Tannehill/special teams, etc. This is reality. The offense is horrible under him and he deserves a big hunk of the blame. Don't blame it all on the players either, Lazor's job is to best utilize the players in his scheme and put them in a position to win. The Miami Dolphin offense is at the bottom of the league in stats. He has failed badly so far.

I agree.

Doesnt anyone here think that the time to hurry up is right after lamar takes it up the gut for 30? And RT has a headset in his helmet. And the guy is on the sideline staring at him.....or maybe not.

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Didnt Foles throw 7 TD' in his first startig game last year?

[/COLOR]Didnt Foles throw 7 TD' in his first startig game last year?

No, and Ryan Tannehill is not Nick Foles anyway.

Serious question: would you all really feel comfortable with Ryan Tannehill running the hurry up offense for an entire game right now?

Back
Top Bottom