Bills are a nightmare matchup for Miami | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills are a nightmare matchup for Miami

Neither Marshall or Jeffrey led the Bears in receiving if that tells you anything.

Matt Forte did.

Fair point, but Forte is probably the best receiving back in the NFL. On the flip side, Da Bears did have 4 receivers with more than 70 yards, 2 of those with a touchdown and 3 of those receivers with 8 catches. It will be interesting Sunday.

Why do you assume that Schwartz is going to use the same schemes against the Dolphins as he did against the Bears? He has an excellent record as a DC, so this isn't his first rodeo. Tannehill to Mike Wallace or Brian Hartline is NOT nearly as potentially dangerous as Cutler to Marshall or Jeffery. Miami is much more like the Bills than either team is like Chicago. Different teams, different game plans.

I think I'm one of the few Bills fans who did NOT bemoan the loss of Mike Pettine. Last year, Pettine's attacking, gambling style worked well for the DL personally (3 of 4 went to the Pro Bowl), NOT so well for the Bills LBs (and the run defense) and the team's win-loss record, so I'm more than willing to give Schwartz the benefit of the doubt.

The Bills have added two LBs to help against the run: Manny Lawson and Brandon Spikes. Unfortunately, they won't have last year's outstanding rookie LB, Kiko Alonso, who is on IR, but they'll get Nigel Bradham, who's taking his place, back from a 1 game suspension. They seem significantly improved against the run.

Well, I think there's a few valid lines of thought along those lines. Are you the type of defense that a) does what you do and forces other teams to adjust, or b) changes the type of defense you run based on the opponent?

There are both types of teams in the NFL, and both types can work (almost all great defenses are "a" defenses). Generally most teams try to strike a balance. Not getting to far away from what they do but being willing to adjust somewhat. The question is how much.

I actually remember Jim Schwartz's defenses in Tennessee pretty well. They were a fast flowing defense that was pretty basic scheme-wise. They played a four man front, bump and run coverage (lots of cover 1, but plenty of 2 man as well, though that's straining my memory pretty hard) and did not blitz all that much, and it was really effective. They were the kind of defense that did their thing and forced you to react to them. At the same time, though, those teams had guys like Keith Bulluck, Jevon Kearse, Kevin Carter and Albert Haynesworth in those front sevens and good secondary players like Lance "Sergeant" Schulters and Samari Rolle. It was also a different NFL. Very few teams play aggressive bump and run coverage anymore. Off man and cover 4 have taken over the league.

So as for how much Schwartz will change his strategy I actually think it's more dependent than anything on how he reacts to your injuries on defense, which is actually even more banged up than ours. Some coordinators tend to get more aggressive when there are injuries -- take your chances and help the guys on the back end by creating pressure. Others get more conservative, trying to help out poor or inexperienced players. Both choices can be valid, depending on the circumstance. What I saw from the Bills on against the Bears was a team that actually started out more aggressive. Lots of eight man boxes and cover 3. But it wasn't long until you guys shifted into cover 4 and cover 6 (with the 2 man coverage to Marshall's side). He got more conservative as time went on.

FWIW I only saw Manny Lawson playing DE in the game, spelling Jerry Hughes. Lawson is an okay SLB but he's a sub mediocre DE and always has been. Brandon Spikes is smart and aggressive but he is also slow and a hothead and frankly a dirty player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon Spikes is garbage and I look forward to Clay chewing him up. That's a matchup that I was begging Sherman to take advantage of last year when he was in NE.

the cutler pick was a nice play by kyle williams...he just kept flowing down to the ball and undercut it...nice effort by the dt to continue to try and get in the play...but it was also a cutler special...he does some dumb things sometimes

these bills fans are underestimating our new offense...it wont be as cookie cutter as the one the bears showed...more motion more late movement more declaring of coverage by the defense as a result...passing out of read option action etc

Wait, but TheWalrus said that Kyle Williams had a bad game and the INT was luck?

Oh wait, he had no idea what he was talking about.

Brandon Spikes is garbage and I look forward to Clay chewing him up. That's a matchup that I was begging Sherman to take advantage of last year when he was in NE.

Spikes is bad against the pass and good against the run.

The Bills try to take him out on obvious pass plays.

Either way, he won't be guarding Clay.

Neither Marshall or Jeffrey led the Bears in receiving if that tells you anything.

Matt Forte did.

I watched some the Bills-Bears game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Marshall and Jeffery miss plays because they both got injured in the game? I'm not sure how much of the game they missed, but I do remember hearing they were both injured at one point during the game.

Wait, but TheWalrus said that Kyle Williams had a bad game and the INT was luck?

Oh wait, he had no idea what he was talking about.

If you're gonna troll at least be good at it. I didn't say the INT was luck I said it was a gift.

Spikes is bad against the pass and good against the run.

The Bills try to take him out on obvious pass plays.

Either way, he won't be guarding Clay.

You already heard our offense uses a lot of formations, movements, and motions. Also, our offense is capable of running a lot of no-huddle. So if our OC wants Spikes on Clay, he'll find a way.

You already heard our offense uses a lot of formations, movements, and motions. Also, our offense is capable of running a lot of no-huddle. So if our OC wants Spikes on Clay, he'll find a way.

That's not how football works. If a LB is assigned to a TE, how exactly is your offense going to force us to have Spikes cover him?

Unless were in Zone LB.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

this is where up tempo would come in handy. that should absolutely be part of our game plan this week.

Absolutely good point.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

If you're gonna troll at least be good at it. I didn't say the INT was luck I said it was a gift.

Except it wasn't. It was an excellent play by Kyle who reversed field to get the INT.

Our offensive line is what lost us the games against Buffalo last year. It appears the offensive line this year is much improved. We have the better offense so while it will be a tough game and close, I think we have the edge in this one.

After this game, we will have a better read on James. Is he an average starting RT? Is he better? Is he worse? We will learn about each player on this Oline.i am not confident they will play well, but I am encouraged by their performance in week one.

I watched some the Bills-Bears game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Marshall and Jeffery miss plays because they both got injured in the game? I'm not sure how much of the game they missed, but I do remember hearing they were both injured at one point during the game.

Yeah Marshall missed 2 or 3 plays and Jeffrey missed the last quarter.

Except it wasn't. It was an excellent play by Kyle who reversed field to get the INT.

It was a great play by Kyle, but it was one of the most foolish decisions a QB made in week one. That is saying a lot given how poorly Romo played.

I do not see Buff as a nightmare matchup. I see them as a maybe average team with a bad QB, who won 6 games last year, and will be hard pressed to do the same this year.

Last year, Tannehill had 4 bad games, Saints, Jets, and 2 vs the Bills. Why is anyone's guess, as he was under pressure all year long, and not just against Buff. I do not believe he will have another vs the Bills this Sunday, see Miami winning by at least 7, and am betting the same. JMO

Back
Top Bottom