Bills fan's take on game | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills fan's take on game

Yeah, I personally know a lot of really great people who are Bills fans. And I don't mind the Bills fans that post on here. Honestly, my position for a long time was if we weren't gonna be the ones to win the division, they should be the ones to take it. But man, I am seeing a ton of people who are just absolutely cannot come to terms with the fact that they fairly lost a game. They can't admit that Miami did anything right. As if the scoreboard didn't exist.

That organization is a very talented one right now and they've shown the capability to dominate a lot of the league. But there is so much softness that emanates from that organization and a lot of its fans right now. Once that team ascended to being good suddenly the idea that they could just be outplayed fair and square went out the window. It's always the weather, or the rules, or some other reason why they were cheated. And you don't have the ability to deal with adversity that championship caliber teams have to have. You can't just be a good team when things are going good - the really good teams win when they're at the best, and steal others when they aren't, and I just don't see that in the Bills or Josh Allen right now. I see a team that has the expectation and confidence that they will dominates, and will mercilessly impose its will when able, but when things go bad they look around for somebody else to fix the conditions so they can get back to dominating like they would if things were "fair".

I think its pretty universal that championship hopefuls don't like losing, and Brady and the Pats were no exception, but some of them hate losing so much that they are gonna have three bad quarters of football and then play the 4th quarter of their lives to make you beat them. And I don't see that with the Bills right now.
That's an excellent summary. I had no idea the Bills fanbase wasn't mature enough to accept one defeat. I assumed they would take in stride. Instead I was stunned at the themes I was seeing. This was only weeks after the Matt Araiza situation that I thought their fans handled very well.

In particular, the Bills fans seem to be totally clueless regarding situational influence in the NFL. That was hardly a positive scenario they were in...coming off a lopsided home victory on Monday Night then traveling on a short week. That is a scenario that normally promotes a performance that is below par. Not always, and Cream teams own considerable margin for error, but let's just say you're very unlikely to see a peak effort given that scheduling spot.

It's the reason I didn't understand all those projections last week of an extremely high scoring game, with Buffalo winning 42-28 or whatever. That's the tunnel vision perspective that relies on personnel, matchups and recency. It is the preferred method. I realize that's never going to change. However, I'll continue to point out that NFL outcomes are not dictated by personnel, matchups and recency. Early season NFL division games very seldom turn into wide open high scoring free for alls, especially when the underdog is at home. It's the reason the over/under wagering last week featured the familiar pattern of the public steadily playing the Over while the so-called wise guys had the Under.

I bet sports in that town for 24 years. The guys who do it for a living are overwhelmingly Under bettors. That's where the advantage is, if you are involved all year long, even if Scott Van Pelt's otherwise excellent segment always leaves the impression that Unders are foolish and doomed to one bad beat after another. Meanwhile under often feel like stealing, especially in basketball.

Last year Buffalo came to Miami in week two, but their situational influence was vastly different than 2022. It could not have been more different. They had blown the opener at home to the Steelers as 6.5 point favorites, while frustrated offensively the entire game. They had a full week to prepare and traveled to Miami as a road team coming off a defeat and as only a 3.5 point favorite. Again, all of those variables are positive for the road team. Road games after a defeat are high energy for Cream road teams, especially defensively. I've made that point countless times. The defense typically is where there is greatest variance, based on whether the road team is coming off a victory or defeat. On offense it equates to crispness and attention span. Offenses on the road after a loss tend to do all the little things well, like making the clutch grabs in traffic.

Yet perspective favors the other way. If Buffalo had manhandled Pittsburgh in that 2021 opener, they would have come to Miami as something like 5 or 6 point favorite instead of 3.5. The scenario would have been worse for them but the public expectation and price tag would have been higher.

I mention this only because it's interesting to me, and perhaps others as well, but it's a topic that never enters the pregame shows or discussion, where everyone is obsessed with the -- IMO -- trivial All-22 nonsense.

On message boards the problem with themes like this is that everyone becomes desperate for outliers. What about this? What about that? No kidding it doesn't work every time. I became a lot less interested in posting back and forth on message boards due to that fixation on outliers, which does not exist in Las Vegas. I'm offering stuff that works more often than not and be carried from season to season.

Bills fans turning into Pats fans Mk2. That's what happens when you get used to winning and being favourites i guess. It's arrogant. They need to win a SB before they get above their station.

That's an excellent summary. I had no idea the Bills fanbase wasn't mature enough to accept one defeat. I assumed they would take in stride. Instead I was stunned at the themes I was seeing. This was only weeks after the Matt Araiza situation that I thought their fans handled very well.

In particular, the Bills fans seem to be totally clueless regarding situational influence in the NFL. That was hardly a positive scenario they were in...coming off a lopsided home victory on Monday Night then traveling on a short week. That is a scenario that normally promotes a performance that is below par. Not always, and Cream teams own considerable margin for error, but let's just say you're very unlikely to see a peak effort given that scheduling spot.

It's the reason I didn't understand all those projections last week of an extremely high scoring game, with Buffalo winning 42-28 or whatever. That's the tunnel vision perspective that relies on personnel, matchups and recency. It is the preferred method. I realize that's never going to change. However, I'll continue to point out that NFL outcomes are not dictated by personnel, matchups and recency. Early season NFL division games very seldom turn into wide open high scoring free for alls, especially when the underdog is at home. It's the reason the over/under wagering last week featured the familiar pattern of the public steadily playing the Over while the so-called wise guys had the Under.

I bet sports in that town for 24 years. The guys who do it for a living are overwhelmingly Under bettors. That's where the advantage is, if you are involved all year long, even if Scott Van Pelt's otherwise excellent segment always leaves the impression that Unders are foolish and doomed to one bad beat after another. Meanwhile under often feel like stealing, especially in basketball.

Last year Buffalo came to Miami in week two, but their situational influence was vastly different than 2022. It could not have been more different. They had blown the opener at home to the Steelers as 6.5 point favorites, while frustrated offensively the entire game. They had a full week to prepare and traveled to Miami as a road team coming off a defeat and as only a 3.5 point favorite. Again, all of those variables are positive for the road team. Road games after a defeat are high energy for Cream road teams, especially defensively. I've made that point countless times. The defense typically is where there is greatest variance, based on whether the road team is coming off a victory or defeat. On offense it equates to crispness and attention span. Offenses on the road after a loss tend to do all the little things well, like making the clutch grabs in traffic.

Yet perspective favors the other way. If Buffalo had manhandled Pittsburgh in that 2021 opener, they would have come to Miami as something like 5 or 6 point favorite instead of 3.5. The scenario would have been worse for them but the public expectation and price tag would have been higher.

I mention this only because it's interesting to me, and perhaps others as well, but it's a topic that never enters the pregame shows or discussion, where everyone is obsessed with the -- IMO -- trivial All-22 nonsense.

On message boards the problem with themes like this is that everyone becomes desperate for outliers. What about this? What about that? No kidding it doesn't work every time. I became a lot less interested in posting back and forth on message boards due to that fixation on outliers, which does not exist in Las Vegas. I'm offering stuff that works more often than not and be carried from season to season.
So what’s your take on our chances this week after a big home win going on the road on a short week?

Reality is, EVERY year EVERY team (expect some team in '72 who's name I forget) loses to a 'lesser' team. That's football. The proper response is 'my team lost. I happens. On to next week.'
On a side note, I hope when Miami loses to a 'lesser' team - and they will - the Fin fan base doesn't go 'Buffalo.'

He also called a play at the end of the game that got a receiver free in space, and the guy just couldn't resist staying in bounds for three more yards instead of flying for the sideline like he was Cedrick Wilson. May not have made it to the sideline anyway, but he wasted way too much time if he wasn't getting to the sideline.

Agree. The WR tried to be clever.

Sometimes, situational awareness counts. /s?

At some point it’s real information and not a coincidental and unimportant data point.

This isn't a random stat, i totally agree ..their players don't look well coached in late game situations. This goes for the end of the half too...it's a coaching issue, they just don't know what not to do.

Bills fans can tell themselves whatever they want, the fact is their offense ran 90 plays and scored 17 pts idgaf about the yards it's points and That is a highly inefficient output.

I could come up with the same injury excuses and weather excuses for pretty much every single playoff game we lost to them ever. In the end we lost just like they did. The end.

The Bills fans can make any excuses they want, but there's no excuse for Josh Allen choking on that 4th down pass at the goal line. He's just not a winner, and when you need a big play in a big game, Josh Allen isn't going to give it to you.
I don’t believe that to be true at all..

Ball can slip out of a qbs hands any time

I watched the best in the game play a great game and make incredible plays that he will make against every team he faces

I also watched our defense very closely and said after their first TD drive I saw what I needed to see and this is going to be a dogfight.

He made the plays outside of great execution by our defense which means unless your Josh Allen or Pat Mahomes ain’t no other Qb who must have a great game on top of it is gonna be able to beat our defense..

And we still beat Josh Allen, best Qb having a great game was not good enough because of how we contained the rest of the offense outside of great individual plays by the Qb

It reminds me of technical analysis with stock charts. It will not be 100% accurate but if you know how to read them, you can put the odds squarely in your favor.

Didn’t the sun shine on both teams? Miami players went off w cramps too. This whole thing is beyond stupid

Yeah....this is a weak argument. Our defense was on the field just as long as their offense and seemed to survive just fine.
This. Defenses get tired while offenses keep rolling. As someone pointed out, had the Bills hit that TD pass or got the FG at the end this wouldn’t even be a “story”

Back
Top Bottom