Blitzing/Norv Turner. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Blitzing/Norv Turner.

XoPhinsoX

No More Injuries, Please ;).
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about our "scheme" for 03 on the Defensive side of the ball.

IMO we play way too conservative and hardly ever blitz. With Seau in the mix known as a good blitzing LB does anyone think we'll see the Phins start pounding QBs? I know we play aggressive on the corners..cause we can ;).

Also, could someone enlighten me on why Norv is leaving after this year (most likely I suppose)? I'd like to hold on to him ;(.

Yes we need to do some more Blitzing....but with Bates you just never know....but from what I hear we look faster then weve evwer been on defense, and as I recall we were pretty fast...... now would be a good time to try some scheme blitzes.....Pittsburgh loves to Blitz and look how far they got...........As for Norv, I hope he sticks around, Becuz if Wanny screws up Id love to have Turner as our new coach.

I think you'll see new ripples in our defense, as something is added and changed every season. As far as Norv, if we go all the way and have a great offensive year, expect him to have plenty of offers from teams wanting a HC. I doubt he leaves Miami to be a coordinator somewhere else. All in all, I think he stays here at least one more season.

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
we blitzed plenty.

Yeah, we blitzed all the time, only 27 other teams blitzed more often than we did. :rolleyes:

That said, I think this year we will see a more aggressive scheeme from Bates... and if we don't, well, I need an address for the letter bomb.:lol:

Originally posted by Barbarian

Yeah, we blitzed all the time, only 27 other teams blitzed more often than we did. :rolleyes:

That said, I think this year we will see a more aggressive scheeme from Bates... and if we don't, well, I need an address for the letter bomb.:lol:

I dunno this has always been a very frustrating and confusing issue for me. We would send Thomas to blitz the QB, that's just not very smart. He has a very small chance of getting to the QB, because of his size. As good a tackler Zack is, he is that bad at blitzing the QB. This is where the frsutration comes from.

We had Rodgers who was one of the better blitzers on this team, but we rarely blitzed him. This is where the confusion sets in for me.

Hopefully now with Seau here, we have a OLB that everyone knows can blitz, he blitzes well, and he blitzes all the darn time. I hope they allow him to continue to do what he does best.

If they want Seau to be a success here, they need to let him do what he feels is best.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Oliver

Hopefully now with Seau here, we have a OLB that everyone knows can blitz, he blitzes well, and he blitzes all the darn time. I hope they allow him to continue to do what he does best.

If they want Seau to be a success here, they need to let him do what he feels is best.

Oliver...

BINGO!

of course, this is Bates were talking about so while I think that we will see more blitzing and more aggression, I'm not holding my breath. :(

I thought we had better success with Safety blitzes rather than with Zach myself. I remember distinctly in the Patriots game that when we sent Feeman, he disrupted Brady's timing for some incompletions. Then shortly after, we sent Zach and Faulk got one of his catches for a gazillion yards right where Zach would have been. Hopefully Seau can improve that area as stated earlier in this post, but I would like to see more corner and safety blitzes.

As to the Norv part of the question I was surprised we didn't lose him this offseason. Just enjoy him while we got him as an OC because he won't be here long.

I agree with adding the blitz to the defensive scheme. But I also agree with the poster who said we should NOT blitz Zach. Too small, too small, and ALWAYS gets taken out by the RB left in to block. Sometimes he gets upended and lands close to the QB (ball already gone)... but it's kind of like a great drive to the basket in hoops when the the layup just misses. Looks nice, still a shame.

I think if Wanny gets fired then norv is gonna become the head coach. If that doesnt happen and norve goes somewhere else then mike shula will take his spot if he doesnt go to alabama.

Originally posted by Oliver

Oliver...

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about our "scheme" for 03 on the Defensive side of the ball.

IMO we play way too conservative and hardly ever blitz. With Seau in the mix known as a good blitzing LB does anyone think we'll see the Phins start pounding QBs? I know we play aggressive on the corners..cause we can ;).

Also, could someone enlighten me on why Norv is leaving after this year (most likely I suppose)? I'd like to hold on to him ;(.

The only thing that has been mentioned was putting Buckley and Lowe in the slot so Surtain can stay at the corner.

One thing to keep in mind, if your defensive line is getting pressure and sacking the QB then blitzing is gambling for nothing. The Fins have a history and reputation for destroying rookie QBs who have not mastered beating the blitz. As you already know the D brain trust dislikes blitzing QBs that can beat you for a quick cheap TD when blitzing. Even keeping this all in mind the Fin's blitzing schemes can and should be improved. The safety blitz worked very well last year probably because they didn't use it consistently.

What you read about Norv Turner leaving is just someone's opinion as he is one of the better O.C. in the league. Things you expect don't always happen as often as the unexpected.

Hey Cinncinati and Chicago blitzed a whole lot. In fact most bad defensive teams blitz a whole lot. That's because they don't have a consisitent pass rush and have to go to extremes to generate one. While I agree thast I'd like to see some more use of the blitz when the pass rush isn't working like in the game at NE and against the Chiefs but you have to be wary of relying on it too much.

Originally posted by DNY
Hey Cinncinati and Chicago blitzed a whole lot. In fact most bad defensive teams blitz a whole lot. That's because they don't have a consisitent pass rush and have to go to extremes to generate one. While I agree thast I'd like to see some more use of the blitz when the pass rush isn't working like in the game at NE and against the Chiefs but you have to be wary of relying on it too much.

And thats just it... it's not just the lack of blitzing, it's the timing of those rare Blitzes that drive me nuts. Theres a time to blitz and a time to drop back into coverage and let the front 4 do their thing. Bates needs to learn the difference.

Back
Top Bottom