Boise State vs. Virginia Tech Predictions | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boise State vs. Virginia Tech Predictions

i knew you thought that. i remember you explaining why but i forget. i will never be able to understand how such a hardcore college fan could be against a playoff. then again, i'll also never be able to understand how you can defend clowns like favre, lebron, and cowherd. :lol:

it's inherently flawed. every year someone gets screwed. you can set your watch to it. why would you not want to fix such an easily remedied situation? it's broken - it needs to be fixed. mind bottling.

Last edited by a moderator:
if they've got the backing to be preseason #3 i don't see them being left out after they go undefeated. not this time. people would freak and call the whole ranking pointless ... which it would be if boise got left out. why even rank them 3 in the beginning if you're gonna keep them out in the end? makes no sense. not to mention the style points they'll be racking up when they're butt spelunking wyoming by 30 points.

you're right about the SEC playoff thing but that goes both ways. by having such a hard road until the playoffs the SEC would be more battle tested and ready to go than anyone - unless they've suffered a bunch of injuries along the way. i'd rather face the tough schedule until crunch time - i'd know exactly where my team is at, what they're capable of, and how to beat the potential threats.

the independents would be at a huge disadvantage b/c that's 3,4,or 5 games in a row they have to game plan and show up for in a row. who knows if they'd be up for the challenge. not them.

i'd want UF and bama to stay right where they're at. we've got the depth to withstand an injury or two. and i want that tradition intact regardless.

hell, even if we would be at a disadvantage - i still say let them have their cake. we've got the best talent in the country in the southeast - let us battle it out to see who's the best.

I just said the BCS is clever... You don't rank them #3 with the INTENT to leave them out in the end if they go undefeated... You're going to let Boise's schedule do it for them... Why in the hell would you let a team play in the BCS title game that didn't even win it's conference? It's been done twice already Bob...

I figured the BCS out a long time ago... and I ABSOLUTELY would rather be battle tested through the SEC when it comes playoff time... UNLESS it's going to end up keeping you out of the playoffs all together if you lose 2 games or so...

You're better off leaving the conference and becoming independent, scheduling a bunch of cupcakes, go undefeated and wait for the playoffs to begin... It's really that simple...

However, tradition and rivalries staying intact ALWAYS takes precedence.... even over a shot at the title... that's my point.

I just said the BCS is clever... You don't rank them #3 with the INTENT to leave them out in the end if they go undefeated... You're going to let Boise's schedule do it for them... Why in the hell would you let a team play in the BCS title game that didn't even win it's conference? It's been done twice already Bob...

I figured the BCS out a long time ago... and I ABSOLUTELY would rather be battle tested through the SEC when it comes playoff time... UNLESS it's going to end up keeping you out of the playoffs all together if you lose 2 games or so...

You're better off leaving the conference and becoming independent, scheduling a bunch of cupcakes, go undefeated and wait for the playoffs to begin... It's really that simple...

However, tradition and rivalries staying intact ALWAYS takes precedence.... even over a shot at the title... that's my point.

not gonna lie - you blew my mind a little bit with this one. :lol:

not only are they ranked 3 but they have va tech and oregon st. on their schedule. i would be absolutely stunned if they went undefeated and got left out for a 1 loss team. i'd love it but i'd be shocked. what the hell is the whole thing for if you're gonna do that to the team YOU ranked #3? i take your word for it that it could happen but it's insane. makes the whole thing an exercise in futility. even pisses me off a little - b/c it affects everyone else as well.

how many teams do you see getting included when the playoff scenario happens? i'd say a good amount - enough to where the solid SEC teams with 2 losses get in. 3 for the big boys. i don't see a deserving team getting fisted in which case.

tradition and rivalries win every day of the week. absolutely. without question. history was the whole reason i rooted for the SEC - before i had any clue i'd be going to a school there. to tell you the truth - and don't tell anyone - that's the reason i was a ND fan when i was a kid - until i found what a dick they are. :lol: (say what you will about ND - and you will - but the history/tradition there is second to none.)

i knew you thought that. i remember you explaining why but i forget. i will never be able to understand how such a hardcore college fan could be against a playoff. then again, i'll also never be able to understand how you can defend clowns like favre, lebron, and cowherd. :lol:

it's inherently flawed. every year someone gets screwed. you can set your watch to it. why would you not want to fix such an easily remedied situation? it's broken - it needs to be fixed. mind bottling.

With a playoff you're talking about adding FOUR more games to the season. These are COLLEGE KIDS. You're cutting into class time in a HUGE way for one. Imagine the expenses for a University to send a team to that many more games. Most athletic departments scrape by as it is. Then you have the issue of fan travel. Ohio State fans might travel halfway across the country to see the Buckeyes in the Rose Bowl, but how many of them will go to every playoff game they're involved in? It gets EXPENSIVE for the fan. And you can't have half empty stadiums for huge playoff games. College basketball gets away with it because the tournament is such a huge draw on television no matter who is playing. These "hardcore college football fans" only make up about 10%. Most people are casual fans. I might be "hardcore" but only for the 'Canes. If the 'Canes aren't in it, I just don't care to watch Virginia Tech and Wisconsin in a playoff game.

A college football playoff seems like a very simple fix just by adding games and saying go play. But it's VERY complex when you bring in corporate sponsors and economics into the equation. I think a plus one system is about as close to a playoff as we'll ever seen because the bowl system setup is so lucrative for the NCAA and the conferences. From a financial standpoint it doesn't make ANY sense to implement some ridiculous 8 game playoff or whatever.

I'm not gonna lie. I was rooting like crazy for Boise State last night. Kellen Moore is a flat out stud quarterback. There is no situation that's too big for him and he never seems to get rattled.

Sorry guys, I was wasted last night. That was a huge win and I was having maybe a little too much fun.

Back
Top Bottom