Boomer's Top 15 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer's Top 15

Thanks alot for the info Boomer. I always enjoy your posts and definiitely value your analasys of players over just about nyones on here lol.

I have a couple questions for yah.

In your opinion with the new direction in coaching and GM of this team, do you see the Phins drafting BPA or need at 9?

Also, do you think Brady Quinn will be the Phins QB of the future? Do you see Cam mking a move to get him?

Lastly- If Quinn is not an option and Landry is on the board. Do you think Miami would take him nd if so would it be the right call in your opinion?

I am sorry, I know I am asking as if you're the coach. I would just like to know your opinion on that.
Thanks.

Difficult re: best player/need. The cognescenti have talked about immediate impact, but it's tough to gauge.

If Miami can get Quinn, then yes, I think he's the target. There's been too much mentioned around the edges of scouting to think that he isn't a target and when you consider the Trent Green thing and look at how Brady so perfectly fits a Cam Cameron QB, then you have to think he's the guy. I think if he gets to 5/6, then we'll jump. That's a big IF though.

If Landry's there, do we take him? Depends what you intend to do with Jason Allen. If you put him at CB, then he's back to year zero again. If you keep him at FS, then you can build on the strides he made late in the year. That would seem to nullify Landry, although he can easily play SS I think, because of the way he plays the run and attacks the LOS.

I think Miami would look elsewhere - Okoye, Carriker, Ginn, Brown, etc.

Nice Post...as much as I have disagreed with the idea of Miami drafting Ginn I am in total agreement with who the top 5 players are. I might even move Willis to #3 on the list behind CJ and AD. In all likelihood it would be Willis still on the board if Miami drafts at #9 of the top 5 and I would have no complaints at all if his name gets called despite obvious needs at other positions.

Nice to see someone call out Russell...OVERRATED! I think the Raiders would be "INSANE" not to take CJ which means the Raiders probably won't.

I agree with your concerns. From what I've heard and seen, though, my impression is that Joe will (or or at least has the potential to) eventually be the better LT one or two years down the road. In the worst case, you would have a decent left guard. In the best, you'd have a franchise LT. Levi Brown on the other hand has a lot of Vernon Carey in my opinion. He might become a good (albeit not great) LT or he might "just" be a decent RT. He's probably the better short term prospect, I agree, but he hasn't written "greatness" over him like Joe does under the right circumstances. So the question would be if you prefered a good starter in week 1 or a stud LT in two years. With almost every other position, I'd take the week 1 starter, but with LT, it might be wise to grab the more talented player to be set for the next decade, even if that means grooming him for one year. I see very little bust in Joe.

I think that's fair enough, although to have a Vernon Carey type at LT and the real thing at RT, is no problem in my eyes.

Joe certainly has the bigger ceiling, but I think the bust factor is greater because of where he's come from.

I appreciate it. Thanks again. It's good to see that you're high on Eric Weddle as well. He seems to be flying under the radar a bit and I like him a lot. I also like Wendling in the 3rd, so it's going to be a tough call which one I'll target ...

Weddle is a superb player. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Pats leave round one with him. What a versatile kid he is.

I like how you made the rankings based on what YOU think, with some surprises in there. Great job Boomer, although I do disagree with some of the rankings (Quinn & Carriker too high for me). However, I'm with you on Russell, and I wholeheartedly agree with your assesment of him (as not being the cant-miss prospect that many think he is)... although I'd probably also put Quinn around the same 15ish area.

Boomer:

Like you, I am fairly high on Ginn. However, IMO I would utilize him as a #1 CB most of the time, and then as a flanker on 3rd down situations and on the 2 minute drills. I think with his speed and hands, in time he could literally shut down one side of the field like Champ Bailey. As a QB I would be scared of throwing the ball to his side of the field. Thus, he could potentially solve two issues for us (#1 CB and opening up the passing game in passing down situations). Your thoughts?

Remember, he hasn't played CB since about game 5 of his freshman season, so that would be asking him a lot. What I think you'll see is him playing WR, KR, PR, utility TB/QB and maybe some dime coverage, but I think it would take a while to turn him back into a pure corner.

Thanks.

Difficult re: best player/need. The cognescenti have talked about immediate impact, but it's tough to gauge.

If Miami can get Quinn, then yes, I think he's the target. There's been too much mentioned around the edges of scouting to think that he isn't a target and when you consider the Trent Green thing and look at how Brady so perfectly fits a Cam Cameron QB, then you have to think he's the guy. I think if he gets to 5/6, then we'll jump. That's a big IF though.

If Landry's there, do we take him? Depends what you intend to do with Jason Allen. If you put him at CB, then he's back to year zero again. If you keep him at FS, then you can build on the strides he made late in the year. That would seem to nullify Landry, although he can easily play SS I think, because of the way he plays the run and attacks the LOS.

I think Miami would look elsewhere - Okoye, Carriker, Ginn, Brown, etc.

Nice nice. Thanks again for the info.

Nice Post...as much as I have disagreed with the idea of Miami drafting Ginn I am in total agreement with who the top 5 players are. I might even move Willis to #3 on the list behind CJ and AD. In all likelihood it would be Willis still on the board if Miami drafts at #9 of the top 5 and I would have no complaints at all if his name gets called despite obvious needs at other positions.

Nice to see someone call out Russell...OVERRATED! I think the Raiders would be "INSANE" not to take CJ which means the Raiders probably won't.

Thanks. Yeah, Willis is really good. Really good. How anyone can talk about Timmons or Beason as a better LB than Willis is beyond me.

The Russell thing surprises me. 3 drafts ago, I told Fin Heaven, about 7 weeks before the draft that Alex Smith and not Aaron Rodgers would be the QB the 49ers would pick, based on something I was told. I was vilified.

Then about 4 weeks before, I did a mock with Smith at 1 and Rodgers at 24 to Green Bay. And hell was unleashed upon me. Whilst I don't think Russell will fall that far, I will be stunned if the Raiders don't take Quinn, or Johnson. Personally I'd sign David Carr and then draft Johnson. That seems win/win to me.

Thanks. Yeah, Willis is really good. Really good. How anyone can talk about Timmons or Beason as a better LB than Willis is beyond me.

The Russell thing surprises me. 3 drafts ago, I told Fin Heaven, about 7 weeks before the draft that Alex Smith and not Aaron Rodgers would be the QB the 49ers would pick, based on something I was told. I was vilified.

Then about 4 weeks before, I did a mock with Smith at 1 and Rodgers at 24 to Green Bay. And hell was unleashed upon me. Whilst I don't think Russell will fall that far, I will be stunned if the Raiders don't take Quinn, or Johnson. Personally I'd sign David Carr and then draft Johnson. That seems win/win to me.

C'mon. I definitely can't agree with the Carr being a "win" situation?

Carr is Joey Harrington with a worst decision making ability. People here have nailed Culpepper to a cross about his "not making quick reads"...Carr is worst.

You can't blame Carr's sacks on his OL and Culpepper's on his slow reads. Carr obviously is a sack artist "and" interception artist because of his slow decision making.

I don't see OAK signing Carr. And I totally disagree with your "emotionally" based dislike for Russell.

Russell is the consensus top pick overall. Stop hatin Boom.

Can I ask why?

You'll probably get your answer from Mike Mayock, Mel Kiper Jr, and all the other draft experts who have Quinn dropping.

You're much too high on Quinn. And you have Carriker over Adams?

Now I do agree with a lot of your assessments though. I definitely like Ginn Jr at #9. I do like Reggie Nelson and was surprised how so many experts don't have him in the top 15.

But as much as I like Willis. I definitely think you have him too high and no way we draft a LB at #9. No way in heaven, earth, or hell.

But I do like most of your stuff though Boom. Good job. And I do like that you went with "your" feelings and not just bandwagoning with all the other draft gurus.

So good job.

Boomer
Did you happen to see the highlight video on Brady Quinn that was posted on Youtube? I was already impressed by what I have seen and heard on Quinn but after seeing this video I am really impressed and wish there was someway the Phins could grab him.
Here is the link if you havent seen it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJgmeEH1lrE
Please take a look if you haven't already seen it.

Boomer
Did you happen to see the highlight video on Brady Quinn that was posted on Youtube? I was already impressed by what I have seen and heard on Quinn but after seeing this video I am really impressed and wish there was someway the Phins could grab him.
Here is the link if you havent seen it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJgmeEH1lrE
Please take a look if you haven't already seen it.

I'm more impressed by Ginn Jr's highlight video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WGyrgqOKZLg

Boomer you never fail to impress. Great read again. I would not want to be the man to pick @ #9 if we had to chose between Willis and Ginn hehe. But man Ginn would be exciting to watch in a phins uniform.

Back
Top Bottom