Boyer hate needs to end | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boyer hate needs to end

Our quarterback had a historic performance for our franchise and we barely won.

It seemed like we tightened up the coverage and gained a respect for their deep ball ability and accuracy to the boundary as those plays seemed more limited in the 2nd half.
Yes, we limmited our Cover Zero package and stopped blitzing. we went more into Knickel hybrid, even Phillips was dropping into coverage making it a 3/4 schema. There was some really great adjustments made.

You hit a nerve. Here is my complaint against Boyer and Mcd and it involves a phrase many football fans know by heart.
"HS coaches adjust the next games, college coaches adjust the 2nd half, and NFL coaches adjust on the next series."
Watch enough games and these adjustments are common, except Boyer and Mcd. They seem to be stuck at the college level. There is NO WAY Det should have had consistently good drives in 1H. That said, Boyer gets too much grief. Dealing with (mostly) 2s and PS secondary. Missed tackles (DET game was better. Boyer made the right adjustments, he just made them late
So that being said, what adjustments were made in the second half on defense? Because initially I thought there was too but after seeing part of it again, it really only looked like better play from the players and the lions making more mistakes.

You really don’t need to read my responses if it bothers you that much. I certainly won’t be offended.
I'm only thinking of those using their phones getting carpal tunnel from the effort of scrolling past the legions of paragraphs you post.

Star Trek No No No GIF by arielle-m

I'm really not sure how much we can expect from him. Ogbah has decided to take the year off (aside from the 2nd half of the bills game), Howard I guess is either banged up or suddenly mediocre, no Byron Jones and now no Brandon Jones or Needham, Philips gets some pressure at times but can never get home, linebackers are pretty average at best, we decide inexplicably to not dress our our other strong safety.
Ogbah has had a back injury all year and X has a groin injury. That said, the last two games X has given up 1 catch for 4 yards or something like that. It’s that we aren’t getting sacks and turnovers is the issue

still finding funny when people say we need to cut a player at halftime only to see that player have a great 2nd half.......then people want Boyer gone at halftime and his defense allows zero points in the 2nd half....lol

We beat the bills this year because every one of them was dehydrating on the field in real time. We will not do that in Buffalo. If you cant get pressure on Josh Allen with your front four you are gonna have a bad time. We blitz and still dont get to the QB. Sure we have been playing bend dont break Defense but eventually they will break.

personally Id like to see us go back to 4 starting linemen (Most base sets are 4-2 Nickel at this point) but Id like to see 2 Massive tackles that clog the middle, 2 actual DE pass rushers.

Next year we are dropping byron so he is not playing this season at all. There is no incentive for him to play for a team that is dropping him and him to possibly get hurt. X is no where near the man he has been for the last 2 seasons so the lock down corners we had are gone. We need preasure from the front 4 and DBs that are good enough to let the line get the QB.

"****ing get this fixed bro" - I think McD is nearly at his limit with Boyer. Took a look at some stats - we are 5 and 3 - we've scored 178 with our high powered offense and given up 192 with our stellar bottom dweller defense. Not nearly acceptable. Off with his head...and I'm not being literal here for all of you worrying that this is hate.

still finding funny when people say we need to cut a player at halftime only to see that player have a great 2nd half.......then people want Boyer gone at halftime and his defense allows zero points in the 2nd half....lol
I still want him gone. I haven't liked him. I thought Flo ran the defense at a certain point last year. The defense we see out there now (injuries or not) looks like the one we saw at the beginning of last year. Continually dropping Phillips and Gordon into coverage should be criminal.

Secondary is a walking MASH unit, that needs to have pressure on the QB. Miami can't generate any, and our two best pass rushers are constantly in coverage, well there aren't really covering because that's not what they do, but they keep dropping back. If it ain't broke don't fix it, but this defensive scheme is broken. If not for drops and costly penalties Miami doesn't win that game yesterday. I did see a slight adjustment and that was Phillips rushing, and while he didn't get there he did make Goff move from his spot a few times that caused off passes.

I dont hate Boyer, but I also dont agree with the approach... There has been a cost to playing D the way he does, and saying this D has been good is cringe level...

It is not Boyer hate - it is Boyer realization. The guy isn't getting the job done and if the offense had not made such great strides this year with the emergence of Tua as a franchise QB and the addition of Tyreek Hill and Armstead on the line we would be in a world of hurt. The D is terrible. We have some players who should be able to compete in this league on Defence. Where does the buck stop - Boyer. Just take a hard look at any one of our high paid players for instance - Jerome Baker - rewatched the whole game yesterday and zeroed in on his play. Its absolutley shocking. Phillips - while his effort is improving he's just not getting there! Obgah - mediocre. Defence is scheme and execution. Remember last year? What caused the night and day change when we started to go on the streak? I am now thoroughly convinced that was due to Flores taking the reins away from Boyer. I remain steadfast. This guy must go. I don't hate him.
Thanks for making a normal response that I can actually respond to. =)

In game 1 our defense carried us more than the offense - only 7pts allowed and played well all game.

in game 2 our defense struggled in the first half, gave up only 10pts in the second half and made huge stops. Played great complimentary defense and were part of the reason we won in the end even if they didn't do so well in first half.

in game 3 our defense WAS AMAZING THROUGHOUT. Gave up only 3pts in the second half, and made many crucial stops. Held up well against the Bills better than any other team I can think of, and probably gave a gameplan to other teams moving forward on what to do.

in games 4,5,6 we had a 3rd string QB playing. In game 4 everyone, I mean everyone, thinks we win with Tua in. In game 5 we folded after our QB made back to back turnovers in the 4th quarter on our end. In game 6 again the defense was solid and just folded at the end with our 3rd string QB unable to muster points. There is NO TEAM IN THE NFL that wins more than 2-3 games in a season with their 3rd string QB. None. The fact that we didn't get blown out in any of those games is actually a testament to the defense.

in game 7 we gave up 10 total points, and nothing in the second half. The defense carried us to victory.

in game 8 we gave up nothing in the second half after struggling in the first half. They played complimentary football in this game.

In 2 of our 5 wins the defense was the reason we won. In all 3 of our losses the OFFENSE was the reason we lost.

Point out one game we lost because of our defense.

So when you guys make comments like the defense is TERRIBLE when we have not lost a game because of them, is a little strange. When we are doing all this with our #1 paid defender being banged up, our #2 paid defender OUT ALL SEASON, our #3/4/5 CB's all missing time and the #3 CB out for season, the starting safety out for the season, AVG who is one of our better blitzers being fairly useless for the first 4 games...

To have played the way they have, especially considering WE ADDED ZERO PIECES IN THE OFFSEASON is a testament to mental fortitude, toughness, consistency, and focus. It also says a lot about coaching and strategy.

You guys live in a madden world who seemingly fail to realize THE OTHER TEAM IS PAID TO SHOW UP. We've been winning consistently and our defense has been a big part of that... all with half the defensive roster decimated and playing with a 3rd string QB in their losses. When our starting QB has been in the game, we have won every game... that says how important our QB is, but it also says how important having a complimentary football team is.

This is the first time in my life watching the Dolphins where I can say we have complimentary offense and defenses. This is the most dangerous team I've ever seen us produce. Better than those teams that had Ricky Williams, Pat Surtain, Madison, JT, ZT... and Jay Fiedler. This team is more dangerous. And its because both sides of our team are "good enough". It's also because we have the best coaching I can even remember watching.

JMHO, but the complaint I noted has been common since game 1. This isn't just 'they messed up this time.
Yes, I'm happy with the win. Yes, this is the best O since Dan. I deny none of that. But, if this complaint remains a common complaint, it will be more difficult to win consistently. And the solution, in concept, isn't difficult . . . adjust more quickly
Why do we need to adjust more quickly? We have won every single game our starting QB has played.

If we win in the SuperBowl because we adjusted in the 2nd half to win in the 4th quarter, will you still complain?

The problem is we all expect that we NEED TO BE PERFECT to win a superbowl... then you see flawed teams like the Giants get hot late in the season, teams like the Eagles win, and juggernauts like the Saints, Packers, and Patriots actually lose... you have to realize there is no perfect team. If you adjust enough to win by the end of the game... why do we need to adjust sooner? For what reason? For you?

So when you guys make comments like the defense is TERRIBLE when we have not lost a game because of them, is a little strange. When we are doing all this with our #1 paid defender being banged up, our #2 paid defender OUT ALL SEASON, our #3/4/5 CB's all missing time and the #3 CB out for season, the starting safety out for the season, AVG who is one of our better blitzers being fairly useless for the first 4 games...

To have played the way they have, especially considering WE ADDED ZERO PIECES IN THE OFFSEASON is a testament to mental fortitude, toughness, consistency, and focus. It also says a lot about coaching and strategy.

You guys live in a madden world who seemingly fail to realize THE OTHER TEAM IS PAID TO SHOW UP. We've been winning consistently and our defense has been a big part of that... all with half the defensive roster decimated and playing with a 3rd string QB in their losses. When our starting QB has been in the game, we have won every game... that says how important our QB is, but it also says how important having a complimentary football team is.

This is the first time in my life watching the Dolphins where I can say we have complimentary offense and defenses. This is the most dangerous team I've ever seen us produce. Better than those teams that had Ricky Williams, Pat Surtain, Madison, JT, ZT... and Jay Fiedler. This team is more dangerous. And its because both sides of our team are "good enough". It's also because we have the best coaching I can even remember watching.
Haven't lost because of them yet, but we have won in spite of them.

I will give them credit when it's due and there have been some really good individual efforts, but overall I am not impressed with the schemes, assignments, and calls.

No Madden world here, reality of how bad they rank.

Why do we need to adjust more quickly? We have won every single game our starting QB has played.

If we win in the SuperBowl because we adjusted in the 2nd half to win in the 4th quarter, will you still complain?

The problem is we all expect that we NEED TO BE PERFECT to win a superbowl... then you see flawed teams like the Giants get hot late in the season, teams like the Eagles win, and juggernauts like the Saints, Packers, and Patriots actually lose... you have to realize there is no perfect team. If you adjust enough to win by the end of the game... why do we need to adjust sooner? For what reason? For you?

Not true. At some point slow adjustments can bite. And if the opponent is adjusting every series, 1 adjustment a game won't get it

Back
Top Bottom