Brad Johnson, No Thanks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brad Johnson, No Thanks

T-Bone

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I was reading where as a senario if we can't pick up Brunnel that Tampa Bay would release Brad Johnson if they can sign him and we would pick up Johnson.

That we be such a bad move. Brad Johnson is another back up qb that should be happy ge got a shot to start in the NFL (like someone else we all know)

The article also said that Dan Marino always watches the Phins and is very passionate about them (good thing) And also that he was frustrated watching the offense this year and wants them to be more dynamic. With that being said I don't understand the Brad Johnson rumor. That in itself is an oxymoron (Dynamic offense / Brad Johnson) or whoever the source of the information could be a moron.

Important question - when will Jacksonville release Brunell? Is this another Griese situation where as it will take 25% of the regular season until he is up to speed because he won't be let go until march? I hope not.

If so that changes alot with regards to letting either Fiedler or Griese go.

My only concern with Johnson is that he'll be 36 next season. If it were a few years ago, I'd snap him up in a heartbeat. Now I'd hesitate. You get old fast in this league.

Muck,
You think he would be that much of an upgrade from Fiedler?
I don't, what we need is an explosive qb, Brunell is not explosive any more but he IMO is a better choice that Fiedler, Johnson, Warner or Couch.

johnson wont be here next year.. it will be brunell. im sure he will be released from jacksonville as soon as the season is over.

Originally posted by Jnaledu3
johnson wont be here next year.. it will be brunell. im sure he will be released from jacksonville as soon as the season is over.

Just hope there is no contractural stumbling blocks that will prevent him from signing early in the off season.

Originally posted by T-Bone
Muck,
You think he would be that much of an upgrade from Fiedler?
I don't, what we need is an explosive qb, Brunell is not explosive any more but he IMO is a better choice that Fiedler, Johnson, Warner or Couch.

Right now, yes....he'd be an upgrade. But I can't come out 100% and say yes because....again....all it takes is one season for an old guy to fall off the map. And Johnson is just about there IMO. So I gotta say "no" to Brad.

Brunell is a guy I like better. But being a lefty...and not knowing the future of our RT position...worries me.

Not interested in Couch much. Warner is done. Billy Volek intrigues me. David Garrard REALLY intrigues me, as he has the capability to be explosive.

I don't know about you guys, but getting pretty tired of us getting the leftover QBs in the league. Last year it was Griese whom everybody had so high expectations about, and what was he? A Dud, he was let go from the Broncos for a reason.

This year its Brunell. I think it'll be the same deal all over, a QB that over the hill, who hasn't had time to learn the system, and a franchise so eager of succes that all he can do is fail.

I say keep Fiedler, cut Griese, and make Sage the backup. Then upgrade the O-line to give Fiedler and Ricky some support, and sign a talented WR to help Chambers.

Originally posted by DolphinsDenmark
I don't know about you guys, but getting pretty tired of us getting the leftover QBs in the league. Last year it was Griese whom everybody had so high expectations about, and what was he? A Dud, he was let go from the Broncos for a reason.

This year its Brunell. I think it'll be the same deal all over, a QB that over the hill, who hasn't had time to learn the system, and a franchise so eager of succes that all he can do is fail.

I say keep Fiedler, cut Griese, and make Sage the backup. Then upgrade the O-line to give Fiedler and Ricky some support, and sign a talented WR to help Chambers.

Fiedler is done, he's had four years to get things going, he's had Ricky for 2 full years, a good defense for 3 1/2 years and he cannot do it. I wish him all the best but the time is to draft a young qb that will give us a future.

Brunell has a better arm than Fiedler, doesn't throw as many picks and has more experience. Time for a change!!

As for Griese, do you think he got a legitimate shot. No way.
But he is due some hefty money as is Fiedler. Look at that another reason to get rid of them both!!!

I don't think Brad Johnson is a back up QB. He's put up pretty good #s the past couple years with 48 TDs & he doesn't have hardly any talent on offense. But he'd be #4 on my list after Brunell, Garcia, & Warner.

but the time is to draft a young qb that will give us a future.

We can't get our hands on a franchise QB, unless we are lucky and find a gem in the lower rounds, but how often does that happen???

As to Griese he played fantastic against the Chargers, but the Chargers has the #1 pick in the draft, so they played like ****. When he faced some real teams he folded just like he did in Denver. He is not what we need!!!!!!

Get rid of both Fiedler and Griese, and have what? Maybe Brunell, maybe a 2nd / 3rd round QB or Sage. That won't even get us the 10-6 record we had this year!

like Muck has stated already he & Warner are ready for the senior home. While Brunell is right behind them I think we can squeeze 1 or 2 more decent years out of him before he rides off into the dusty trail.

Brad Johnson is not a bad QB at all. I would take him over Brunell. Johnson may be older but he has played well the past few years.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen said the Dolphins, Dallas and other teams interested in Jacksonville quarterback Mark Brunell might face competition from Tampa Bay. Mortensen said he has heard the Buccaneers might cut Brad Johnson (26 TDs, 21 interceptions this season) if they can sign Brunell. Johnson would then become an option for the Dolphins, Mortensen said.
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/7707337.htm

that's a lot of speculation that Brunnell will be cut, then the Bucs will manage to sign him and thne cut BJ and then we would sign BJ :rolleyes2

Originally posted by T-Bone
like Muck has stated already he & Warner are ready for the senior home. While Brunell is right behind them I think we can squeeze 1 or 2 more decent years out of him before he rides off into the dusty trail.

You do realize that Brunell is the younger than two of the QBs we've talked about. He's 34, Warner is 32, Garcia is about to turn 35, & Johnson is 36.

Back
Top Bottom