Brad Johnson, No Thanks | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brad Johnson, No Thanks

Brunnell would be a good upgrade at quarterback for Miami, but do you think injuries would be a problem?

Brunell would be a good upgrade at quarterback for Miami, but do you think injuries would be a problem?

Originally posted by Muck

Right now, yes....he'd be an upgrade. But I can't come out 100% and say yes because....again....all it takes is one season for an old guy to fall off the map. And Johnson is just about there IMO. So I gotta say "no" to Brad.

Brunell is a guy I like better. But being a lefty...and not knowing the future of our RT position...worries me.

Not interested in Couch much. Warner is done. Billy Volek intrigues me. David Garrard REALLY intrigues me, as he has the capability to be explosive.

I am really concerned about bringing in a backup like Garrard or Volek if we let both BG and Jay go. We would be left with Sage, who I doubt greatly, perhaps a rookie, and the backup from another team. I feel we need someone proven as a safety. having said that i would only get one of those guys (backups) if we opt not to draft a QB high.

Ok here are my thoughts, everyones saying if we dont draft a QB first they will lose all hope...thats just ridiculous. Sure there are some great QBs in the draft this year. Eli, Ben, Rivers, Losman, etc. but unless the phins work a way out to get Eli then i dont want to draft a QB in the first round. It would be stupid. The superstars will be gone by then and I dont see Losman or Rivers becoming much in the NFL. We need a 2nd WR JUST AS BAD as we need a QB. Even if you have a star QB, if he only has 1 good WR then were going to be screwed anyways. They already double team chambers, without someone to fill in the 2nd position we will still have no passing game. Thats why I say either pick up Eli Manning or forget the QB in the draft and sign Brunell. If this were to happen then DEFINATELY go for WR in the 1st round. We can pick up a very good WR that will contribute to our team immediately. Depending on what we do in free agency we might have another even higher draft pick in the 1st round which gives us the options of Williams, Woods, Clayton, etc. Then we go for the line. So by the end of this our main spots will be filled. We will have
Vet. QB - Brunell
Star Rookie WR- Williams,Woods,Clayton?
and then we will fill in our line. (I dont know much about these guys)
We take care of every position this way, now yes I know youre all saying that we still need a Rookie QB to groom, and what I have to say to that is we will go for one in next years draft. We should be just fine with WRs next year and the line, our defense has been holding strong and we definately dont have to worry about our RB. So all I see that will be a dire need in next years draft will be a QB. So lets go with the WR and Line this year and get Brunell for now.

Originally posted by Rick 1966
I don't want Brad Johnson. He's shown this season that he is VERY prone to throwing INTs, and we already HAVE a QB like that. Three or four years ago I would have liked Brad Johnson, but not now.
I am not overly enthusiastic about Brunnell either---he's a VERY short term answer. If we bring him in, we damn well better draft a QB in the first round as well.

Brad Johnson led the NFL in pass attempts this past season.. He had such minimal talent with him this year in Tampa with Keyshawn out for a while and Jurevicius out with injuries that he was left with McCardell and Charles Lee as his starters and Jon Gruden has 3 WR's on the field about 60% or more of the time..

An 81 QB rating with no run game and a WR by committee stance they had is nothing short of "Wow"..

Rick1966, so what are you suggesting Miami do at QB?? Stick in a rookie?? Put in a QB that will have to go through the learning curve of the Norv Turner offense for the entire 2004 season??

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS

Rick1966, so what are you suggesting Miami do at QB?? Stick in a rookie?? Put in a QB that will have to go through the learning curve of the Norv Turner offense for the entire 2004 season??

Our best bet, I think, is probably a trade. While Garcia has shortcomings, I like him more than Brunnell, but there are other possibilities. Jon Kitna might be available, for example, or Tim Couch, or Kelly Holcomb.

I would rather have Brad Johnson and draft Cody Pickett to be groomed as his succesor. You guys forget all you need in this system is a good pocket passer that can PA.

For one thing I would never rank Cody Pickett ahead of Rivers, that is crazy. I dont care if Rivers has a bad delievery he is still way better than Pickett college or NFL. As far as Brad Johnson goes between him an Bruneel it don't really matter both an upgrade. The point is Brad knows the system he has nor shown signs of slowing down. He did not have a good supporting cast on offense most of the year. On top of that the team was not playing together. K. Johnson fussing about getting the ball and dont like the coach. The whole team was just off there was no team chemistry. When the team was playing good at the beginning of the season they had all there starters and the team was playing to win another SB the offense was good. Then injuries happen an Brad struggled with the lack of talent. He did not slow down.

He is not a bad QB he has helped every team that he has been on: Minnesota, Washington, and SB champions Bucs. That should be good for a few years. 36 to 38 years is not to bad.

He is not the greatest but not bad I dont nessasarily want him a dolphin but if that is all we had to deal with I would take him over Fiedler.

Helloooo I am talking third round.

Nah no sorry needed. I completely forgot to put third round earlier. Sorry.:o

I guess it is what your O-line going to do if they are not going to do real good you need someone like Garcia or Brunell but if your O-line going to be good Brad would be the best for the team. you tend to get hurt worse when you run all over the field than when you got a good line an a pocket passer.

It's not so much a great line you need. Remember the line that Johnson had in Washington was not great.

Well that is even better Bucs are crazy if they let him go wonder why he is tossed from team to team. This guy is a gammer an plays good we could have went to the playoffs with him behind the center. The whole bucs team played bad and he is getting the boot that is crazy give him a better running back and a few recievers he will burn almost any defense in the league. Him and Brunell are pretty good we need on of them I respect them both and I repect Garcia he done things Montana and Young did'nt do far as yoard and TD's in a season and rushing. He might be a good pickup

Brad Johnson would be an excellent pick up..

I'm very intrigued with Cody Pickett though.. What if Miami used the 2 1st rounders on a WR and Lineman.. Then use a 3rd rounder for Cody Pickett??

I would definetely be for that with Brad Johnson to learn from

Back
Top Bottom