Brandon Marshall: Byron Maxwell 'holds every single play' | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Marshall: Byron Maxwell 'holds every single play'

I think Lippett should cover Marshall tbh. Lippett struggles with the WRs who run a larger variety of routes. That's not Marshall. And Lippett has great ball skills and size, I think that goes a long way covering Marshall because he generally doesn't get a ton of separation, he just outmuscles everyone at the catch point.

BMarsh is just trying to get into Maxwell's head.
Maxwell needs to ignore him and stay focused.

Joff is one of the most level headed poster on this board IMO, never seen him twist or backtrack anything to avoid being called out for being wrong... If he thinks Maxwell might be severly underrated on this board, I'd be more inclined to ask him about his thought proccess on that matter than discounting it as him not wanting to be wrong....

Joff is one of the most level headed poster on this board IMO, never seen him twist or backtrack anything to avoid being called out for being wrong... If he thinks Maxwell might be severly underrated on this board, I'd be more inclined to ask him about his thought proccess on that matter than discounting it as him not wanting to be wrong....

I appreciate that. Maxwell hasn't been great, except against Pittsburgh, but he has 8 PD's and 2 FF's on the season (7 for his career). Patrick Peterson has 1 for his career, and Richard Sherman has 5. Obviously, those are two of the better CB's to ever play the game, and Maxwell is not close to either, but his ability to force fumbles is completely overlooked. When he's playing in press, he's a very difficult CB to deal with.

If you play him in off coverage, without help, his lack of agility leaves him at a disadvantage. When Seattle played him in off, they typically had Earl Thomas covering the seam/helping Maxwell inside or had KJ Wright or Bruce Irvin dropping into zones about 7-8 feet deep. Without that help, he simply doesn't have the agility to hang with NFL WR's on in-breaking routes.

In press, though, he uses his length very well, and his balls skills are very good. He's a clever player with physical limits, but if you keep him on a line (like a runner you only want running north and south), his positive traits make him a quality starter. He's not a versatile CB. Never was, and he never will be, but he fits into what VJ said he wants to implement in Miami. In the last two weeks, VJ's vision for the D has played out. Maxwell had one of the best weeks of any CB all season against Pittsburgh. If you understand his strengths and limitations, his season has played out about as expected - relative to his tasks. Put him in specific situations, and he's good.

To add, Thomas taking responsibility for the Goodwin TD was a beautiful thing. He's not a great DB, but I hope he retires a Dolphin. That dude is pure class

Last edited by a moderator:
Thomas played that wrong no doubt but theres no way he can allow a pure speed wr a completely untouched free vertical stem right by him cover 2 or no cover 2

At minimum you make him redirect in his stem

Doesnt matter if you are off or not...yes they will call illegal contact after 5 yards if you get handsy but they wont call anything if you establish position and facing the ball the wr either runs into you or redirects to get around you...if you cut the guy off yes but making him redirect is part of cover 2

And he played one good half against pittsburgh which was when he had over the top help in man under 2 deep

hes gotten real lucky that there has been some misplaced balls on quick slants and horizontal in cutters

Takes false steps in press gives away the inside despite inside pre snap leverage

I appreciate that. Maxwell hasn't been great, except against Pittsburgh, but he has 8 PD's and 2 FF's on the season (7 for his career). Patrick Peterson has 1 for his career, and Richard Sherman has 5. Obviously, those are two of the better CB's to ever play the game, and Maxwell is not close to either, but his ability to force fumbles is completely overlooked. When he's playing in press, he's a very difficult CB to deal with.

If you play him in off coverage, without help, his lack of agility leaves him at a disadvantage. When Seattle played him in off, they typically had Earl Thomas covering the seam/helping Maxwell inside or had KJ Wright or Bruce Irvin dropping into zones about 7-8 feet deep. Without that help, he simply doesn't have the agility to hang with NFL WR's on in-breaking routes.

In press, though, he uses his length very well, and his balls skills are very good. He's a clever player with physical limits, but if you keep him on a line (like a runner you only want running north and south), his positive traits make him a quality starter. He's not a versatile CB. Never was, and he never will be, but he fits into what VJ said he wants to implement in Miami. In the last two weeks, VJ's vision for the D has played out. Maxwell had one of the best weeks of any CB all season against Pittsburgh. If you understand his strengths and limitations, his season has played out about as expected - relative to his tasks. Put him in specific situations, and he's good.

To add, Thomas taking responsibility for the Goodwin TD was a beautiful thing. He's not a great DB, but I hope he retires a Dolphin. That dude is pure class
I think the coaching staff spent the better part of the 1st quarter of the season experimenting at the expense of maybe losing a few games they shouldnt have. Benching Ajayi, starting both Turner and Thomas to give them a final shot before outright releasing them on the same week, trying out the no huddle on the road, keeping Wake on the bench as a backup... I mean those are not moves that give you the best chance to win right now... The last 2 games have been the total opposite strategy wise, as you can really see coherence and purpose to what they call on the field... So with that in mind, its plausible that Maxwell might have been put in suboptimal situations in order to evaluate what he can/cannot do... I can absolutely buy that...

Theres no way you can play a corner all north and south unless you surround him with hall of famers pretty much

Id rather just replace the damn corner than try to pull the other one off

I do agree he has good ball skills and has length to his advantage...but he doesnt always play to his length like sitting in inside leversge where you should by alignment be forcing the wr outside to your strengths and yet post snap giving the inside away leaving you torched if the qb executes

Brandon Marshall is one of the hand-fighting greats. He will use his hands really well to pull or push to gain separation — sometimes pushing guys to the ground because he’s so strong. He’s great at creating separation at the line of scrimmage by using his hands, and he’s just as good with them at the last second, right when the ball arrives, using them to gain an advantage

Words straight from the mouth of one of the best CB's in the game.

Richard Sherman

I am not a Maxwell fan, but I rather have him than Grimes...

anyone watching the Bucs/Falcons game? Yikes...

Grimes is toasted every play. and not just by Julio, by every WR he "covers".

I am not a Maxwell fan, but I rather have him than Grimes...

anyone watching the Bucs/Falcons game? Yikes...

Grimes is toasted every play. and not just by Julio, by every WR he "covers".

:err:

Not the player he once was, but still a helluva click n close CB in off coverage.

:err:

Not the player he once was, but still a helluva click n close CB in off coverage.

You must not be watching him or this Bucs secondary this year. It is painful to watch the Bucs pass defense.

Anyone who wanted Vernon Hargreaves or Brent Grimes on this team this year was way off.

Myself included.

Grimes is washed up...only when he guesses does he have a chance...size murders him...Route recognition is his only go to now

Miami did right to move on here...he and his trash wife arent long for the league unless he decides he wants to tackle more as a slot...which i seriously doubt he has interest in or his wife will allow since its below him

I smell a candidate for release this offseason

You must not be watching him or this Bucs secondary this year. It is painful to watch the Bucs pass defense.

Anyone who wanted Vernon Hargreaves or Brent Grimes on this team this year was way off.

Myself included.

I know, right. Allowing only one catch for one yard so far in the half vs the NFL's #1 passing offense isn't anything I'd want around my team . . .

I've moved on from Grimes, but he's still got some left in his old tank.

I've moved on from Grimes, but he's still got some left in his old tank.

OK. Keep telling yourself that. Don't know what games you are watching.

If you decide to put on the Bucs game tonight, you better take some dramamine first.

Back
Top Bottom