Brandon Weeden | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Weeden

Awful lot of bad mouthing going on about a guy that has 500+ yards and 5 TDs against a Top 10 ranked team. Yeesh.

yeah well i don't know if you're watching but its a classic example of where numbers don't tell the story...

OU QB's rarely do well at the next level. The jury IMO is still out on Bradford but he may be the exception to the rule.

The same argument has been made about Jeff Tedford QB's and I'd say that Aaron Rodgers is at minimum one of the top three QB's today (Manning included). Rodgers could very well be the best. I don't have an opinion on Landry Jones yet, haven't seen him play.

If Weeden was the usual age of a prospect, where do you guys think he'd be rated? ahead of barkley and jones or still behind?

behind barkley...i need to watch some more of weeden to see if i see the same late timing with the throws that i see with landry jones...landry jones is a guy who better get drafted to play in a spread cause if he's this late on a lot of throws where he's facing the defense the whole time imagine how he'd fare if he was turning his back to the defense in a playaction one...you want landry jones facing the defense as much as possible...

i'm done with landry jones...been there done that

The same argument has been made about Jeff Tedford QB's and I'd say that Aaron Rodgers is at minimum one of the top three QB's today (Manning included). Rodgers could very well be the best. I don't have an opinion on Landry Jones yet, haven't seen him play.
Rodgers is the exception though out of all those Jeff Tedford QBs he was the only one to achieve anything.

Art Briles hasn't produced enough QBs to say it's his system or not but his star pupil was Kevin Kolb and he hasn't exactly lived up to all the hype. I'm not buying the RGIII hype and I was very unimpressed with him today.

As for Weeden, his age will play a factor. He'll be 29 next season and that's pretty old for a rookie but I'm not sure how much of a factor it will be. I guess we'll see when the draft comes. I still get the feeling he'll go in the 2nd round at the earliest just because of his age. As for Beck, he was 26 when he got draft and in the sports world 26 is a lot different than 29.

weeden is def top 5. i worry that he may just be a product of the system tho

top 3 pick if he weren't 28 already. however, i gotta say, i'd take 5 years of Kurt Warner over 12 years of Joe Flacco. just my opinion though

Its obvious that Rodgers is the exception to the Tedford rule.

I have nothing against Jones rather its OU's system same for BYU & Texas Tech.

Its obvious that Rodgers is the exception to the Tedford rule.

I have nothing against Jones rather its OU's system same for BYU & Texas Tech.

The point is that there is no Tedford rule. Or Texas Tech rule, BYU rule, OU rule. Rodgers was a great college QB and is a great NFL QB. Aikman was great at OU and Dallas. McMahon was great at BYU and very solid at Chicago. The college system played under doesn't define or limit Quarterbacks and their potential. Maybe the cream simply rises to the top.

The point is that there is no Tedford rule. Or Texas Tech rule, BYU rule, OU rule. Rodgers was a great college QB and is a great NFL QB. Aikman was great at OU and Dallas. McMahon was great at BYU and very solid at Chicago. The college system played under doesn't define or limit Quarterbacks and their potential. Maybe the cream simply rises to the top.

Couldn't agree more.

Every time I hear this stuff about "Oklahoma never produces good quarterbacks" or "Notre Dame never produces good quarterbacks"...that just sounds ridiculously amateurish to me.

Yeah I think the point is, it doesn't take a great quarterback to put up tremendous numbers at Oklahoma, or Texas Tech, or Hawaii, or Oklahoma St., etc.

Give a guy like Dana Holgorsen any quarterback with the things he looks for in a recruit, and he'll put up outstanding numbers in that offense. Doesn't matter if it's at Oklahoma St., West Virginia, or anywhere else.

Same thing with Gus Malzahn. His quarterback will put up outstanding numbers, doesn't matter if it's at Auburn with Cam Newton, or Tulsa with Paul Smith.

It's not about Oklahoma the school, it's more about Oklahoma and the offensive systems they've run under Bob Stoops since he's been there that makes some people wonder if the production translates to the NFL. From Mike Leach, to Kevin Wilson, to Jay Norvell, etc. From Josh Heupel to Nate Hybl, to Jason White, to Sam Bradford, to Landry Jones. Oklahoma QB's under Stoops while implementing these systems will always put up numbers at a record setting pace. Although none of them ever translated to the next level at all until Sam Bradford, and he's having a rough go of it as the expectation level rises, and the responsibilities get more complex.

Notre Dame was producing top NFL QB's a long time ago throughout the 70's and 80's with guys like Montana and Thiesmann. Oklahoma doesn't quite have an established track record, although they've always typically ran the option at that school.

Jeff Tedford has always gotten a little too much flack for his lack of QB success in the NFL until Rodgers. The problem with Tedford QB's was that he was so good at developing them, that they often decided to leave and enter the draft after only a season or so of starting experience. Naturally, they were going to bust if they had to start in the NFL before they were ready. Rodgers was the only one able to sit and learn for 3 years behind a Hall of Fame quarterback in Green Bay before taking a meaningful snap.

The fact that Tedford has had so many quarterbacks drafted that NFL scouts and personnel people thought highly enough of despite their inexperience is a credit to Tedford. It's on the NFL team that drafts them to develope them properly from that point.

I'd prefer to evaluate a quarterback by what he does on and off the field rather than evaluate him based on the history of his school. Evaluating based on the history of the school is like putting training wheels on your bicycle. It's an admission that you need help and can't evaluate the player with any amount of acuity on his own merits.

too old. This guy is amazing, and he looks like a man among kids but, truth is that he is a MAN among kids

Blackmon/Weeden or even a Richardsen/Weeden combo would be nice if we miss on Barkley IMO.

Weeden is 28yrs old. Hes playing against 20yr old kids, of course hes going to be more mentally and physically mature. Theres no way I would draft him anywhere close to the first round I dont care how good he is. Kid reminds me of Weinke. Even if he ends up being a good pro qb it could take a year or 2 to get adjusted to the speed of the nfl game and then at that point you have Weeded in his prime for about 3 seasons and then hes "old". I will be really pissed if we take him as our franchise qb.

Back
Top Bottom