Brandon Weeden | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Weeden

Question for CK: I would like to know how do you rate Weeden as an NFL prospect compared to some other "old" college QBs from the past like John Beck and Chris Weinke...

Question for CK: I would like to know how do you rate Weeden as an NFL prospect compared to some other "old" college QBs from the past like John Beck and Chris Weinke...

More pure quarterbacking talent than either of them. Far more than Wienke. Better under pressure than Beck was coming out, with a better arm that is more comfortably accurate at high velocity.

Thanks as usual for the input. I'm looking forward to see this guy play, I'm intrigued...

Here's some film on Weeden- more background kind of stuff and it gives you a chance to hear him speak, gauge his intelligence. He seems like a good guy, mature. Married, good head on his shoulders, well spoken. Plays golf for OSU, too. Obviously an excellent athlete, that combined with the baseball and QB play. One thing that I like as well is that he seems nimble in the pocket- not really a scrambler but he moves around, has a good feel for it.

One thing that I really like is how he drives the ball. Those litmus test throws- deep posts, 20 yard outs, other throws in the flat- he drives them in there with authority and tremendous accuracy. Barkley- and I could easily be wrong- from what I've seen a lot of his balls flutter, not a great spiral, and they're not driven home like Weeden's throws. In short, I look at Weeden throw and see a quality NFL arm. Not so sure about Barkley. I haven't made up my mind on Barkley, but I'm prettty sure that I like Weeden quite a bit.

As to the age thing- maybe it's a blessing in disguise. What NFL team is more desperate for a QB than we are? If a quality QB who could give us maybe 7-8 years fell into our laps in rd 2 or 3 maybe that would be a great thing. Perfection is sometimes the enemy of good- while a 29 year old top notch rookie QB might not be a perfect solution, it could be a very, very good solution for a team desperate to find a QB in a QB driven league. Let the other teams be scared off by his age and whateve we would get- 6, 7 or 8 years of production- whatever it would turn out to be, I'll take it. Gladly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcUV2r5lkrM

Reactions: MD
I don't know that Barkley's throws flutter more but they're definitely not thrown with the same velocity. It's not that Barkley throws a bad ball. Weeden throws an exceptional one.

I like them both. I said last year that in the 2012 Draft the top three QBs talent wise would be Andrew Luck, Brandon Weeden and Matt Barkley, with Landry Jones kind of hovering just outside those three, and Ryan Lindley and Ryan Tannehill pulling up the rear, all of them with potential 1st round combinations of tangibles/intangibles. I think the more we go on in this, the more I was right about the top grouping of Luck, Weeden and Barkley, with Jones just on the outside, and Tannehill pulling up the read looking to climb.

The one I think I was wrong about was Ryan Lindley who is failing the tests put before him. We all knew those tests were coming, having lost the guy that coached his offense, having lost his top senior receivers, guys that caught a ton of balls for a ton of yards and TDs, and replacing them with guys that don't know what the eff they're doing out there...but I view challenges like that as king-makers. If you meet the challenge and overcome it, you'll have proven more than guys next to you that haven't truly been challenged yet. Problem is, he didn't overcome. He more or less failed, and proved he's a mid-round guy.

I saw Robert Griffin, III as sort of an orbiting wildcard, the guy nobody sees coming that could make some noise. But, the more I see of him, the more I think he's a little overrated right now, and I don't know that I would consider him up there with the five guys (Luck, Weeden, Barkley, Jones, Tannehill). Actually the guy that maybe could climb up there could be Nick Foles, who hadn't really impressed me last year as much (though he impressed Boomer, whose opinion I respect very much). The more I watch him the more potential I think he's got.

I don't know that Barkley's throws flutter more but they're definitely not thrown with the same velocity. It's not that Barkley throws a bad ball. Weeden throws an exceptional one.

I like them both. I said last year that in the 2012 Draft the top three QBs talent wise would be Andrew Luck, Brandon Weeden and Matt Barkley, with Landry Jones kind of hovering just outside those three, and Ryan Lindley and Ryan Tannehill pulling up the rear, all of them with potential 1st round combinations of tangibles/intangibles. I think the more we go on in this, the more I was right about the top grouping of Luck, Weeden and Barkley, with Jones just on the outside, and Tannehill pulling up the read looking to climb.

The one I think I was wrong about was Ryan Lindley who is failing the tests put before him. We all knew those tests were coming, having lost the guy that coached his offense, having lost his top senior receivers, guys that caught a ton of balls for a ton of yards and TDs, and replacing them with guys that don't know what the eff they're doing out there...but I view challenges like that as king-makers. If you meet the challenge and overcome it, you'll have proven more than guys next to you that haven't truly been challenged yet. Problem is, he didn't overcome. He more or less failed, and proved he's a mid-round guy.

I saw Robert Griffin, III as sort of an orbiting wildcard, the guy nobody sees coming that could make some noise. But, the more I see of him, the more I think he's a little overrated right now, and I don't know that I would consider him up there with the five guys (Luck, Weeden, Barkley, Jones, Tannehill). Actually the guy that maybe could climb up there could be Nick Foles, who hadn't really impressed me last year as much (though he impressed Boomer, whose opinion I respect very much). The more I watch him the more potential I think he's got.

I didn't want to be harsh regarding RGIII because last week was the first time that I saw him play, but my initial impressionn was, "whoa". As in not nearly as impressive throwing the ball as I expected.

As to Barkley/Weeden, you pretty much summed it up: "It's not that Barkley throws a bad ball. Weeden throws an exceptional one." My smell test says Weeden over Barkley. BTW you guys at Universal Draft had some good clips of Weeden, thx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpkLIET5uvA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv_fAZq8li0

Labor of love. I wanted to check out this Brandon Weeden guy who was supposed to be a mid round prospect if he decided to come out, so I looked at a game. Then another. Then another. Then I started tracking him each week. Before I knew it, I'd seen 8 to 10 games of him because I just loved watching him play the game. So, I clipped up all his throws and created some massive videos. When Andrew Luck announced he was opting out of the Draft I told Weeden that made him the most complete passing prospect in the Draft. It's as true today as it was back then. Andrew Luck still tops him but I think Weeden is 2nd in that race with Barkley running 3rd, but keeping up.

The point is that there is no Tedford rule. Or Texas Tech rule, BYU rule, OU rule. Rodgers was a great college QB and is a great NFL QB. Aikman was great at OU and Dallas. McMahon was great at BYU and very solid at Chicago. The college system played under doesn't define or limit Quarterbacks and their potential. Maybe the cream simply rises to the top.
I thought Aikman played at UCLA,or did he start at OU,then transfer to UCLA for some reason. I watched the Bama/LSU game,but after seeing ESPN highlights of the OK.St/K-St. game,i wish i could've watched both at the same time,because in those highlight clips Weeden looks like a QB i'd have NO problems with us drafting. I'd take 5-7 years of good to great QB play from him with a good coaching staff to help him out. Then about 3-4 years in with him,i'd draft another QB to develop behind him.

I thought Aikman played at UCLA,or did he start at OU,then transfer to UCLA for some reason. I watched the Bama/LSU game,but after seeing ESPN highlights of the OK.St/K-St. game,i wish i could've watched both at the same time,because in those highlight clips Weeden looks like a QB i'd have NO problems with us drafting. I'd take 5-7 years of good to great QB play from him with a good coaching staff to help him out. Then about 3-4 years in with him,i'd draft another QB to develop behind him.

Yeah, Aikman started at OU, popped his ankle and then transferred to UCLA. I'm with you on Weeden, worst case scenario in drafting him is a little positional triage, stop the bleeding at the QB position and worry about the rest as you go. My best guess is that I wouldn't take Barkley top 5- I'd much rather have Weeden rd 2, but there are risks in waiting/playing that game, too. The top 10 of the draft doesn't seem all that solid to me, though. Ideally, in the absence of Luck:

1) Blackmon
2) Konz
3) Weeden

But does a 28 yr old Weeden for sure last until the top of the 3rd round? Do you wait? My best guess is that at the end of the day you pay up a round and get him in the top of rd 2- there's no certainty that he'll be avaolable there either. There's just no time to waste waiting another year. As per usual I'm still pissed that Ponder was snatched this year by the Vikes before our pick.

Anyone know anything about the Clemson TE Dwayne Allen?

Yeah, Aikman started at OU, popped his ankle and then transferred to UCLA. I'm with you on Weeden, worst case scenario in drafting him is a little positional triage, stop the bleeding at the QB position and worry about the rest as you go. My best guess is that I wouldn't take Barkley top 5- I'd much rather have Weeden rd 2, but there are risks in waiting/playing that game, too. The top 10 of the draft doesn't seem all that solid to me, though. Ideally, in the absence of Luck:

1) Blackmon
2) Konz
3) Weeden

But does a 28 yr old Weeden for sure last until the top of the 3rd round? Do you wait? My best guess is that at the end of the day you pay up a round and get him in the top of rd 2- there's no certainty that he'll be avaolable there either. There's just no time to waste waiting another year. As per usual I'm still pissed that Ponder was snatched this year by the Vikes before our pick.

Anyone know anything about the Clemson TE Dwayne Allen?

Yep. Against the canes. Im not 100% sure but i thought it was Jerome Brown who got him. I was on the Ponder train too. Word is Ireland wanted him and if that was the case i really hope he made every attempt to move up or that was just another failure on his part. Either way, maybe it was a blessing in disguise we didnt get him

I thought Aikman played at UCLA,or did he start at OU,then transfer to UCLA for some reason.

If I'm not mistaken Barry Switzer was the reason Aikman transfered.

That being said, I think, the 6 top QB's (no particular order) are... Barkley, Foles, Weeden, Luck, RG3, & Jones.

If the phins pass on AL & MB then Weeden or Foles would be more than okay with me.

If I'm not mistaken Barry Switzer was the reason Aikman transfered.

That being said, I think, the 6 top QB's (no particular order) are... Barkley, Foles, Weeden, Luck, RG3, & Jones.

If the phins pass on AL & MB then Weeden or Foles would be more than okay with me.

Aikman broke his ankle part of the way into the season and was replaced by a wishbone type qb whose name i cant remember. They went on to win the NC and I believe Switzer wanted to stay with his wishbone qb so Aikman transfered.

Back
Top Bottom