Brandon Weeden | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brandon Weeden

Yeah, Aikman started at OU, popped his ankle and then transferred to UCLA. I'm with you on Weeden, worst case scenario in drafting him is a little positional triage, stop the bleeding at the QB position and worry about the rest as you go. My best guess is that I wouldn't take Barkley top 5- I'd much rather have Weeden rd 2, but there are risks in waiting/playing that game, too. The top 10 of the draft doesn't seem all that solid to me, though. Ideally, in the absence of Luck:

1) Blackmon
2) Konz
3) Weeden

But does a 28 yr old Weeden for sure last until the top of the 3rd round? Do you wait? My best guess is that at the end of the day you pay up a round and get him in the top of rd 2- there's no certainty that he'll be avaolable there either. There's just no time to waste waiting another year. As per usual I'm still pissed that Ponder was snatched this year by the Vikes before our pick.

Anyone know anything about the Clemson TE Dwayne Allen?
All i've seen of Weeden are highlight clips of Ok.St. games,i wanna actually watch a complete game so i can better say what i think. Unlike CK,Tedslimm,hooshoops,and others,i'm no QB eval guru,i just give my opinion based on what i see. So as of right now,all i have to go on are ESPN highlight clips,and articles i've read,and based on those,he's gonna be a low 1st-high 3rd rd draft pick and that's strictly due to his age. If he was 5 years younger,i could see him being a Top 10 pick,Top 15 minimum.

Yep. Against the canes. Im not 100% sure but i thought it was Jerome Brown who got him. I was on the Ponder train too. Word is Ireland wanted him and if that was the case i really hope he made every attempt to move up or that was just another failure on his part. Either way, maybe it was a blessing in disguise we didnt get him

I'm hesitant to fault Ireland when it comes to Ponder, who I think is doing well so far for the Vikes. I would have liked to see us trade up for Gabbert, but we lost the 2nd rd pick in the Marshall deal, so that was a problem Apparently Ireland loved Jake Locker- maybe he would have pulled the trigger on a trade if he made it to #9 and the Dallas pick, who knows. Locker at 8, Gabbert at 10, Ponder at 12. That sucked.

You would think that one of those guys would have made it to #15, especially Ponder. But then agian, Ponder was way underrated imo. This year- if no Luck, then ideally I'd slide down in the 1st, pick up a later 1st and more picks, and take Weeden near the top of rd 2. At the same time I'd be nervous as hell that he wouldn't last until the top of the 2nd round- yeah he's 28, but he's a very good QB. I don't really have a feel- because of the age issue- where Weeden is more likelty to go- top of the 2nd, top of the 3rd, etc. If we got him at the top of the 3rd I'd probably check my insurance policy and then attempt a cartwheel.

All i've seen of Weeden are highlight clips of Ok.St. games,i wanna actually watch a complete game so i can better say what i think. Unlike CK,Tedslimm,hooshoops,and others,i'm no QB eval guru,i just give my opinion based on what i see. So as of right now,all i have to go on are ESPN highlight clips,and articles i've read,and based on those,he's gonna be a low 1st-high 3rd rd draft pick and that's strictly due to his age. If he was 5 years younger,i could see him being a Top 10 pick,Top 15 minimum.

I agree with that, low 1st to high 3rd. The problem is that it's quite a span from low 1st to high 3rd and we desperatley need our QB of the future. So how do you plan for that? The greedy part of me says pick him high 3rd rd, the rational part says get him high 2nd rd, and the play it safe/we have to get a fricking QB part of me says pick him up late 1st rd. I keep going back to Ponder- that was our best shot imo to solve the QB problem. When that fell through, combined with Henne's injury/not taking his play to the next level, it left us with a mess on our hands. I don't hate Matt Mmoore by any means, but it's time to find THE GUY. In the absence of the Andrew Luck magic bullet, I say pay up a round, whatever, make it happen, get Weeden. Not in the top 5/top 10 though, and I just don't see Barkley (limited opinion) as a top 5 guy.

I agree with that, low 1st to high 3rd. The problem is that it's quite a span from low 1st to high 3rd and we desperatley need our QB of the future. So how do you plan for that? The greedy part of me says pick him high 3rd rd, the rational part says get him high 2nd rd, and the play it safe/we have to get a fricking QB part of me says pick him up late 1st rd. I keep going back to Ponder- that was our best shot imo to solve the QB problem. When that fell through, combined with Henne's injury/not taking his play to the next level, it left us with a mess on our hands. I don't hate Matt Mmoore by any means, but it's time to find THE GUY. In the absence of the Andrew Luck magic bullet, I say pay up a round, whatever, make it happen, get Weeden. Not in the top 5/top 10 though, and I just don't see Barkley (limited opinion) as a top 5 guy.
If we would've gotten a QB in the last draft,Ponder was my choice,him or Dalton i wanted us to get. I'm like you on Barkley,limited opinion due to not seeing him play a lot(only 2 games watched). The first game i actually got a chance to watch him in was against ASU,and we know USC lost that one,but in that game,to me it was like watching Henne play,nice arm,could move the ball in between the 20s,stalled in the redzone. I came away unimpressed with Barkley in that game. The 2nd game was obviously against Luck and Stanford,and i was watching Luck more,but still watched Barkley,and i was honestly more impressed with him in that game. In that game he looked to me like a QB that if we drafted him,and we have a good strong coaching staff,that staff could build a strong team around him,and he'd grow into a Franchise QB. Just my 2 cents worth on Ponder&Barkley. Now with Weeden,i don't know,i need and want to watch a complete OSU game to give a better guess on where he'd get drafted at. My best guess is no later than the top of the 3rd,and like i said,that's STRICTLY due to his age.

His age is definitely going to factor into where he gets drafted. He's gonna be 29 early in his rookie season in the NFL and anyone who thinks teams don't care about that are crazy. Theres no way we should pass up on a guy like Barkley (or whoever is next after Luck) and take a chance on Weeden later or even someone like Foles. Hasn't that been tried enough over the years? Take a freakin first round talent at QB...stop reaching and hoping later on (Beck, Henne).

Aikman broke his ankle part of the way into the season and was replaced by a wishbone type qb whose name i cant remember. They went on to win the NC and I believe Switzer wanted to stay with his wishbone qb so Aikman transfered.

Jamelle Holieway

Troy Aikman was also a baseball player; the Mets would NOT give him $200,000 signing bonus so to OU he went.

I'm watching the Oklahoma St.Texax Tech game, and I would still say that Weeden is the best looking college QB that I've seen this year. Best arm- accuracy, touch, stength. He's looking off receivers and just seems to be absolutely in control out there. If you forget about age, I would say that Luck is close and that's it, two man race. He's making it look easy- throws up the gut, out to the flats, beautiful fade nearl the goaline to Blackmon for a TD. My great hope in the next draft is that we get him in the 2nd or trade down in the 1st and get him. I'd rather not risk not getting him at all, but then the ever present age issue kicks in- how high do you draft a QB who will be 29 his rookie year? I don't know, but in the absence of a shot at Luck, in my opinion Weeden is the guy, the only guy. Jones, Barkley and RGIII aren't my preferences, and I haven't seen Tannehill yet, so no opinion there.

Weeden just threw another TD, this one to Anderson, beautiful ball. 28-0 Oklahoma St. and they're 23 seconds into the 2nd quarter. 3 pass Tds on the day for Weeden so far. Now it's 35-0 OSU, 27 seconds into the 2nd quarter- a massacre.

He looks good, he has all year . . . the only kicker is the age and injury concerns if his arm is overworked worked from baseball.

I'm comfortable taking him in the first round if everything checks out.

He looks good, he has all year . . . the only kicker is the age and injury concerns if his arm is overworked worked from baseball.

I'm comfortable taking him in the first round if everything checks out.

I'm starting to wonder, because Weeden just looks so good... If he was 25 I wouldn't think twice, but he's 28. To me this is the pending mystery of the draft so far- how high will Weeden go?

I do not like the age. I cannot get by that. Might as well pick up Flynn or Quinn who are similar age and have competed at the NFL level.

I do not like the age. I cannot get by that. Might as well pick up Flynn or Quinn who are similar age and have competed at the NFL level.

Personally I'd rather get a guy in Weeden who is playing imo the best of any QB in college today and shows every indication of being an excellent NFL than Flynn or Quinn, who have done next to nothing in the NFL. Just because they're the same age doesn't mean they're at the same talent level or have the same pro potential. Btw Weeden just rifled a ball downfield to Blackmon in the endzone- slight overthrow, but there's no doubt that this dude has a gun.

Blackmon just let a deep ball go right through his hands, should have been Weeden's 4th TD in the 1st half.

Back
Top Bottom