Brees: The Best Dolphin That Never Was... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brees: The Best Dolphin That Never Was...

Worst Brees Blunder?

• Passing on Brees in 2001 Draft

Votes: 49 39.8%
  • Passing on Brees in 2006 Free Agency

Votes: 55 44.7%
  • Neither, Brees was not a wise choice in either case.

Votes: 19 15.4%

• Total voters
Man, I can't stand it when people say we should have drafted Brees. Would anyone have said that after his first 3 or so years. No way. He would have struggled with us and he may not have suddenly turned into a great quarterback if he had been here like he did in San Diego.

The past 2 days ESPN has been talking about the Dolphins and Drew Brees. Just now, Chris Mortensen was talking about that Nick Saban wanted Brees over Culpepper, but the doctors didn't give him the thumbs up that he would be ready in the season opener and that Daunte would be.

The result of that hypothesis: Drew Brees has a stronger arm than ever before, and is on pace to beat Dan Marino's passing yardage season record. Right now, currently about 200 yards over Dan Marino when you count the yardage Dan put in 13 games played.

Maybe the second bext player never to be a Dolphin....

Tom Brady, of course being number one....:wink:

I think this logic, however, is somehwat flawed. There were plenty of reasons why Saban chose Culpepper over Brees- including salary, injury status, and offensive scheme-all of them still valid.

Make no mistake about it: Drew Brees is a fantastic player, and I am a big fan of his, but that doesn't mean that Saban took the wrong guy. It is one season, and although it has been very impressive for DB, it's difficult to say that Culpepper won't have success in Miami.

The cap hit on Brees is pretty steep. I'm not suggesting that the Saints aren't getting good value, but it's a lot of dough to have invested in one player. When that player is coming off a serious injury- and, again, one shouldn't forget the serious concern expressed by several medical staffs over the status of his shoulder- the risk shoots up. Brees' shoulder may be something that gives him problems later on, and could potentially limit his career.

Culpepper, on the other hand, was expected to come back by mid-season, but many noted that his type of injury would really take 2 years to fully recover. The Dolphins signed him to a pretty cap friendly contract. I have read that, once full recovered, the knee should no longer be an issue.

Whether Brees would have flourished in Miami's offense is also debatable. The argument could be, of course, that if Brees didn't fit, then the Dolphins would/should have adjusted to accomodate Brees' strengths. This, however, would have been very difficult. Culpepper had been playing Linehan's offense for a few years.

Several teams obviously underestimated Brees. The Chargers, after all, decided to get rid of him rather than Rivers- what a compelling SuberBowl it would be to see Brees face his old team the year after they let him go. He is the protagonist in the fairy tale script being played out by the Saints. He has added desperatley needed leadership by being the tough little general executing the plan of one hell of a good coach. I'm not convinced, however, that the same story would have been written had he played for Miami. Just my thoughts.

phinphanforever said:
Tom Brady, of course being number one....:wink:

I think this logic, however, is somehwat flawed. There were plenty of reasons why Saban chose Culpepper over Brees- including salary, injury status, and offensive scheme-all of them still valid.

Make no mistake about it: Drew Brees is a fantastic player, and I am a big fan of his, but that doesn't mean that Saban took the wrong guy. It is one season, and although it has been very impressive for DB, it's difficult to say that Culpepper won't have success in Miami.

The cap hit on Brees is pretty steep. I'm not suggesting that the Saints aren't getting good value, but it's a lot of dough to have invested in one player. When that player is coming off a serious injury- and, again, one shouldn't forget the serious concern expressed by several medical staffs over the status of his shoulder- the risk shoots up. Brees' shoulder may be something that gives him problems later on, and could potentially limit his career.

Culpepper, on the other hand, was expected to come back by mid-season, but many noted that his type of injury would really take 2 years to fully recover. The Dolphins signed him to a pretty cap friendly contract. I have read that, once full recovered, the knee should no longer be an issue.

Whether Brees would have flourished in Miami's offense is also debatable. The argument could be, of course, that if Brees didn't fit, then the Dolphins would/should have adjusted to accomodate Brees' strengths. This, however, would have been very difficult. Culpepper had been playing Linehan's offense for a few years.

Several teams obviously underestimated Brees. The Chargers, after all, decided to get rid of him rather than Rivers- what a compelling SuberBowl it would be to see Brees face his old team the year after they let him go. He is the protagonist in the fairy tale script being played out by the Saints. He has added desperatley needed leadership by being the tough little general executing the plan of one hell of a good coach. I'm not convinced, however, that the same story would have been written had he played for Miami. Just my thoughts.

yes, good points.

Since im getting tired of all the brees talk this weekend and have actually been chiming in I will bring up somthing I saw on fox sports.

It was biggest blow ups and it was uconns coach. Some media guy was grilling him because he missed out on some bball player that was supposedly good and had a great day. And he was yelling "what do you want me to say I messed up I took caron butler and emeka okafor instead". Considering I never heard of the guy who the media talked about I think wow this is very similar. If in 2 years daunte wins a superbowl I wonder how many of you will be cheering or will some you still be winning about not getting brees.

Before saban was hired I thought 3 years till we get rolling. And last year we got new Qb's and new secondary. And once the secondary caught on its been playing well. If you ask me now who has a better chance to make the superbowl its saints but they will never win one sitting over there in the NFC and having to play AFC teams. BTW they are 1-3 against AFC with only win against the browns. So I ask you are the saints really better because they can beat tampa bay twice. Oh and Joey harrington against the NFC 3-1. So I guess that equates to fins as 12-4 in nfc and saints as 4-12 in afc.

All I'm gonna say is that I would trade Jamar Fletcher and Daunte Culpepper for Drew Brees right at this exact moment. The question is, would anyone take me up on it?

Drew Brees, he's so hot right now.........Drew Brees.

bigmiamifan said:
It's not fair to question this past offseason. He has a busted THROWING shoulder and demands a HUGE UP FRONT contract. We don't give huge up front money to HEALTHY starters. Saban made a business decision. As of today, ist' regrettable, but I'd support Saban all over again making the same call. If Brees doesn't recover, we are locked into all that wasted money and no QB. DC cost us a pick, little cash so we have cap, and we have yet to find out how good DC will be. So it's also unfair NOT KNOWING how good DC is going to be. DC good play just as well as Brees next year making the question a push.

As much as I supported the c'pep decision....no way he can be better than brees.hard to believe but he could tie....but it would be a year later so not a push but a win for Brees being that he did it right away. Also, don't forget c'pep cost a 2nd.....so it was c'pep OR Brees and a 2nd...

Now I am not complaining and I understand that not all decisions work out....Saban made the best decision in his mind and mine at the time....nothing we can do about it now, We also don't know if Brees even wanted to sign with the phins.....I am just not afraid to admit that at this point it looks like it was a bad decision no matter how c'pep does next year.

SkapePhin said:
I think every draft magazine I saw back then had the Dolphins taking Brees at their draft slot.. I think it was 24 or something.

We're always the team that supposed to get the next good young QB. All the draftniks had us getting Rivers a few years ago and Cutler last year, but those two guys shot up the board.

you cant say brees was the better choice at the time and he has better skill players in new orleans, we dont have reggie bush,

Bonedoc7777 said:
you cant say brees was the better choice at the time and he has better skill players in new orleans, we dont have reggie bush,
Sorry I disagree. He has a far better O-Line. Brees wasn't pressured at all last night and last I heard Dallas is pretty good. I think having that much time to set up a play and throw deep would make a lot of QB's yardage numbers increase. In all fairness to other QB's with a weaker O-Line.

Back
Top Bottom