Brent Grimes and Dennis Hickey met today | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brent Grimes and Dennis Hickey met today

I'm for tagging him. Best risk-reward scenario, IMO. He's not getting any taller or younger.

Sign him to a 2 - 3 year deal. Corners can play a bit older in the NFL.

He was our best corner
Plays with a lot of heart and emotion (which we need more of)
Good teacher/mentor for the kids on the roster (Davis and Taylor)
Doesn't take plays off

Get it done!

I completely agree with you. We just watched Seattle dominate with big cornerbacks, with the general manager quoted that he was determined to look for big corners once he was in control of the roster. So what is our solution? Hand a big contract to a tiny cornerback who is already beyond 30 years old. In the Pro Bowl you could really see how the best receivers can abuse Grimes physically.

As always, do the right thing. Otherwise you are asking to steadily lose the vital 2-10% to the opposition.

Grimes is likely to regress in 2014. I hope Hickey understands that type of thing, unlike Ireland.
The guy plays WAY bigger than his size. Watch the games. And he played against tall receivers and stilled balled. I guess you did not see that?

Sign him to a 2 - 3 year deal. Corners can play a bit older in the NFL.

He was our best corner
Plays with a lot of heart and emotion (which we need more of)
Good teacher/mentor for the kids on the roster (Davis and Taylor)
Doesn't take plays off

Get it done!

Not only that, he was arguably the 2nd best corner in the league, although I would contend that he was better than Sherman in the reg season (I posted my reasoning supported by facts in another thread months ago. Some agreed some did not).

I completely agree with you. We just watched Seattle dominate with big cornerbacks, with the general manager quoted that he was determined to look for big corners once he was in control of the roster. So what is our solution? Hand a big contract to a tiny cornerback who is already beyond 30 years old. In the Pro Bowl you could really see how the best receivers can abuse Grimes physically.

As always, do the right thing. Otherwise you are asking to steadily lose the vital 2-10% to the opposition.

Grimes is likely to regress in 2014. I hope Hickey understands that type of thing, unlike Ireland.

You love to throw around the word regress with no evidence to prove your point.

His size concerns me, but he doesn't seem to be dominated by larger WR's. His athletic ability is way off the charts and it appears that gives him a realistic fighting chance to defend larger WR's. I think his leadership is a MAJOR plus to re-sign him. I think he can play a positive role in helping to develop our TWO young CB's Taylor and Davis.

My main concern with Grimes is his health. He showed a lot last year in that category. I think we have to re-sign him, however the Dolphins would be smart to try and protect the franchise because of his age and his past health issues.

your best criticism is how he played defense... in the Pro Bowl??? really?
yeah, let's forget the fact that he actually played well enough to be in the Pro Bowl.
also, he could regress and still be the best corner on the team.
pay the man.

Pay the man. Atlanta fans are furious that they let him go. Screw what happened in the pro bowl, those guys abuse everybody. He's our best player on defense and she be signed for 3 more years.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I like resigning him but not to a long term deal. He's short. In 2 years we won't be able to move him safety like teams do with older corners

Of course. Do you know his age and how CBs slow down at a certain age?

He's 5 yrs younger than Champ Bailey. After SB48, Champ said he was willing to move to Safety.

With a 3 yr deal, Grimes would be in a situation similar to Bailey's.

Easily the best we have had since Surtain and Madison. Don't know what else the man has to do to prove to people he deserves to be paid.

According to Brent's wife on Twitter, her husband met today with Dennis Hickey. She didn't go into detail about what the meeting consisted of, but she has been re-tweeting a lot of other people's tweets that say "Dolphins won't let Grimes hit the free agent market". Maybe I am looking into this too much, but I wonder if a long term deal(or at least a 2-3 year deal) is a realistic possibility and maybe they are getting close?

Would love to see him get a contract for a few years and not have to use the franchise tag, which would take up around $11 million in cap space.

I'm for tagging him. Best risk-reward scenario, IMO. He's not getting any taller or younger.

He looked like the best CB that we've had in the past 10 years. Yes, he's short, but his talent and self confidence is self evident. Tagging him should be the worst case scenario. Let's aim to get him signed for 3 years. Grimes is the best FA that Ireland bought in Miami. He also improved all of the other DBs around him, especially Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson.
Grimes didn't make the Pro Bowl on luck. He is the real deal - an absolute star and we are lucky Atlanta didn't keep him. Get it done Hickey..

Are the Grimes looking to make Miami permanent?

I like hearing this. You can tell that the Grimes family were really treated badly by the Falcons organization and they are still upset with how things ended. They seem to love Miami and Hickey appears to have made it known that they really like Brent and want him to stay. Just making them feel wanted is going to go a long way in these contract talks.

House hunting in Miami would make it seem that they think a multi-year deal is very possible.

Back
Top Bottom