Brian Flores believes “there’s a way” to work things out with Xavien Howard | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Flores believes “there’s a way” to work things out with Xavien Howard

This really comes down to two things

1. X understands his knee will never be the same (he said as much in an interview last season), and he needs to capitalize on his earning potential off last year. He wants to be paid based of what he DID, not what he’s going to DO

2. This front office isn’t going to hand out $$$ to players for what they DID, but what they’re going to DO as Miami Dolphins. They are careful with their cap as a team just now entering their competitive window.

We talk about FA’s and their fit with a team when it comes to scheme. Right now, X and the Dolphins have a a philosophical difference of opinion on his worth. They know he would be incredibly impactful this year, but they’re not willing to mortgage the next 2/3 years of cap freedom during their “run” for him.

My guess is they keep speaking the “we love X” tone and act like they want to find a solution to maintain his trade value, and he’s ultimately dealt. Grier needs to get creative to find a way to get a CB back in that deal

this is why the "super easy cap friendly resolutions" X mentioned in his statement struck me as BS.

if all their proposals were so generous and team friendly, and would have left him feeling warm, loved, valued and respected, the team would have done one of them already.

doesn't make sense to just ignore all kinds of thoughtful solutions if you want to work things out with a player.
Yeah I can't believe he just asked for more guaranteed money and Miami didn't do that. If that's the case big fail on Miami's end.

We will never get the return cutting him over trading
You’re missing the point man, I’m saying he can’t play shitty because then we can either cut him for no loss or trade him for less than his worth however neither gets Howard more money. His only choice is to show up and play well if he wants more money whether that’s from Miami or another team.

Yeah I can't believe he just asked for more guaranteed money and Miami didn't do that. If that's the case big fail on Miami's end.
How? Why is it “just more guaranteed money”. GTD money and injury prone players are exactly what you want to avoid.

Go back and look at the interception X had against Jax. Take a look at what he does right after the INT...spoiler: grabs the back of his knee

You “guarantee” a guy 54 million over the next 3 years and he gets hurt and/or declines, and you can say goodbye to cap flexibility.

His contract is guaranteed this year. So you are okay with cutting him, paying him and not getting any return?
Not OK with it, but what's done is done. I wouldn't cut him under almost any circumstances. We do have to operate under the facts as they exist now though. Hindsight on what coulda, shoulda, woulda changes nothing about the current situation.

How? Why is it “just more guaranteed money”. GTD money and injury prone players are exactly what you want to avoid.

Go back and look at the interception X had against Jax. Take a look at what he does right after the INT...spoiler: grabs the back of his knee

You “guarantee” a guy 54 million over the next 3 years and he gets hurt and/or declines, and you can say goodbye to cap flexibility.
I mean it's not like Miami doesn't have the cap space, who else is Miami saving for, Gesicki?

i wouldn't characterize guaranteeing 18 million dollars per year for three years to a 28 year old player as "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious super duper wow amaze abundantly friendly reasonable cap friendly team friendly wow amaze" proposal as X did in his little IG diatribe.

(and even if we did something like that, our cap flexibility would be fine).

of course there is. its a business, hes an employee. things can work out. the fans are way whinier about this than either side actually involved.
Funny you say that about the fans:

Pre-Howard statement: Howard is a Top 5 corner in the league

Post-Howard statement: Howard is overrated

lol

Last edited:
You’re missing the point man, I’m saying he can’t play ****ty because then we can either cut him for no loss or trade him for less than his worth however neither gets Howard more money. His only choice is to show up and play well if he wants more money whether that’s from Miami or another team.
Exactly. Miami literally controls his future. He has NO leverage. He will be 32 years old when he hits free agency, and if he doesn't perform at an extremely high level or his IR time stays on its current pace he won't be getting paid a top CB contract 4 years down the road.

His best bet was to keep things cordial between Miami and himself. That route had a far more likely outcome that ended with him getting more money and better guarantees.

Back
Top Bottom