Brian Flores is failing the Miami Dolphins like every other former coach | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Flores is failing the Miami Dolphins like every other former coach

Offense is drowning. How's the defense and special teams this season?

Yes, they are separate units, but I believe the poor play of our offense is affecting their play, too. The whole team seems out of sync. That doesn't mean it can't be corrected. I believe we will get back on track (it might be when Tua gets back), and when we do, then we will see what we are all about.

I think he does a good job of handling the media and not throwing players under the bus publicly. Can't think of anything on the field he particularly excels at.
Really? Saying it's not the schemes, it's the execution isn't throwing them under the bus?

Yes, they are separate units, but I believe the poor play of our offense is affecting their play, too. The whole team seems out of sync. That doesn't mean it can't be corrected. I believe we will get back on track (it might be when Tua gets back), and when we do, then we will see what we are all about.
Yeah none of the units are helping each other out and in fact are all hurting each other. Offense can't stay on the field on 3rd downs, constantly putting the defense on the field. Offense loses yardage or penalties kicking them out of FG range so you don't see the kicking unit enough. Defense doesn't get off the field on 3rd downs, one of the worst 3rd down defenses in the league after being #1 last year. So they're not getting the ball back to the offense enough. If the offense does score then of course the defense immediately gives up a score.

Then special teams turns it over forcing the defense right back on the field. Or they have a penalty to give the kicking team a first down and putting the defense back on the field after getting a stop. Or special teams is having a holding penalty on a return putting an already inept offense in a hole to start the drive.

Last edited:
A good way to lose the players is to keep playing bums like Jackson and Coleman when they're clearly doing more harm than good.

Anyone who's played organized ball for long is capable of identifying bad coaches, including guys like Jax and Kindley. Not arguing the starting players are the best 5, but, if players give up, it's often because they know their best efforts can't overcome bad coaching

Anyone who's played organized ball for long is capable of identifying bad coaches, including guys like Jax and Kindley. Not arguing the starting players are the best 5, but, if players give up, it's often because they know their best efforts can't overcome bad coaching
So Jackson doesn’t have any responsibility for his own play?

Gase had a winning record at this same point in his third year. In fact he kept a winning record until week 12 of his last year. Of course he inherited more talent (but less draft picks). FWIW our advanced stats of various sorts are the worst at this point of any year going back farther than I care to research. I’m a stats guy, I said it in my introduce yourself post. It’s really ugly right now, much worse than last years 1-3.

OK let’s try glass half full. Or at least with a few drops in it. Tua will be back vs Jax; he’s much better than Brisket. Raekwon is coming back, he’s our biggest strongest guy on the DL. Our schedule gets easier. Our young guys(and we are very young at some units) might improve….

But the wins have to start coming after this Bucs game.
The pattern has been for three years that our advanced stats say we are worse than our record. A 40 game pattern is enough to suggest two things: Flores coached teams are likely to get blown out more than they blow other teams out but if the game is close, more often than not we win.

So Jackson doesn’t have any responsibility for his own play?

Where did you get that??? One, part of coaching is picking the best player. Other players know when the coach has failed at that. I even mentioned "not arguing the starting players are the best 5." Two, most players have had good coaches - training/technique - and recognize when when a current coach is a downgrade. Every player in organized ball has experienced that. That does NOT mean players don't recognize a 'weak link.'
Given that, from watching games, I see more flaws in technique/communication than talent. Yes, Jax and Kindley miss blocks or get pushed around, but a composite the game looks more like technique.

I have been saying all along that until he takes this team to the playoffs, he is still a question mark as a head coach. He did a good job the first two years when there were not a lot of expectation for the team. This year the Dolphins went into the season expected to be a playoff team and right now they have a long way to go to being a playoff team.

Of course losing your starting QB makes winning harder in the NFL. Yet Flores has done a bad job when it comes to hiring quality OC’s and offensive line coaches. Four OC’s and four offensive line coaches hired in 2 years just isn’t getting the job done.

Hopefully Tua will be back after this week and the Dolphins will still have 12 games to turn around their season. To me they still have to make the playoffs this season or this season will be a complete failure. So the pressure is on Flores to win now and it really doesn’t matter how we feel about him as the head coach.

The only person that matters when it comes to Flores is Ross and Ross stated before the season he expected the Dolphins to make the playoffs this season. If they don’t, whether Ross will blame Grier, Flores or both of them will be determined after this season. Yet if they don’t make the playoffs I will be very surprised if Ross doesn’t make some changes at the GM or head coaching positions.

For some reason we couldn't hire top OCs. No clue why, but several OCs turned down the job. Pep Hamilton straight up turned down the interview. Why? Really don't know. Top OCs don't want to work with either Flo or the Dolphins in general.
We went after several big name candidates. Mike Canada, the Steelers OC interviewed, was offered the position and straight turned it down.
What was that interview like? Flo: I couldn't care less if you score. Just let my leet D rest.
Whatever the reason OCs don't want to come here
To be fair, the first year Flo took over late (compared to other restaffing situations) and the choices were limited, not only at OC, but the staff in general.

Besides that, the team was seen as a complete dumpster fire after the Gase debacle(s). No top candidate was touching the job with a ten foot pole dancer.

The second year he brought in Chan, an experienced coordinator and ppl bitched about that. I realize his best days were behind, but he was competant and we were competitive, even if overly conservative.

So here we are year 3, with our starting QB having only played in one game.

Although I'm sure some better choices could have been made, I think some ppl should step away from the ledge.

I truly believe many of our woes are correctable on both sides of the ball.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom