Brock Purdy Gives Me Some Insight Into The Skepticism About Tua | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brock Purdy Gives Me Some Insight Into The Skepticism About Tua

Here’s my take; Tua was the 1st overall pick before his hip injury and Purdy was a 7th round pick for a reason. I have nothing against him as a player, but his tape does not match his on field production. The 49ers system creates easy throws where he doesn’t have to make complex reads or get through progressions quickly. On a team with less talent, Purdy is a game manager at best. On a team with the 49ers talent he looks an elite QB. Tua gets knocked because Flores essentially tried to tank his career with gross negligence on the offensive side of the ball. If we had McDaniel from day 1 Tua would have an entirely different career start.
Tom Brady was a 6th round pick too...... at some point performance in the NFL eclipses draft postion.

I feel like the media loves Purdy. That little dweeb Nick Never Wright had Purdy ranked ahead of Tua just today on national tv.
I check in on that show about once a month. Just to see if Brew, Bo, or whatever his name is. To see if his balls have dropped yet.

Purdy is in the similar no respect bucket as Tua. Both get the knock of being system QBs that are only successful due to the talent and great coaching around them. Ask most pundits, neither Tua nor Purdy is in their top 5, or even top 10. I think it is a combination of their smaller size, lack of running ability, lack of cannons for arms, and the fact that they don't make highlight film type plays, which aids and abets the skepticism. Purdy is also hurt by his low draft status and the fact that he was not a big name coming out of college.

While I defend Tua and state his unique strengths are not recognized or understood and he is the point guard that makes it all happen, I cannot bring myself to say Purdy is a top 5 QB. That is especially odd, because Purdy has been better than Tua this year. #1 rated QB in the NFL, only 1 fewer TD pass, 4 fewer INTs, and has delivered wins against top flight teams with good defenses like Philly and Dallas.

I wouldn't be surprised if many on Finheaven have the same perspective as me. Tua is great, and Purdy is just a guy. If you think that way, and ding Purdy, perhaps we are all making the mistake about Purdy that the pundits make about Tua. Which if nothing else, helps you understand the skepticism.

I remember last year when the Dolphins played the 49ers. Garropolo got hurt, and Purdy came in. He started the year as the third string QB, that means he had no reps. After being forced into action, with zero experience, he tore the Dolphins to shreds. That should have been the early indicator the kid might have it. In no time, he looked a fair bit better than Garropolo ever did, who had a lot of experience, was in the same system with the same players and coaches, and was viewed as a borderline top 10 NFL QB, that had taken his team to the SB.

The great QBs make it look easy. There is more to being a great QB and winning games that having a cannon for an arm or being able to run around all over the place. It is still a decision making position. When you watch Brady or Tua or Purdy play, players look wide open all of the time. Perhaps that is not a function of the talent around them and the system, but of what the QB is doing. Making the right reads, getting the ball out quickly, throwing accurately and with anticipation, and getting it to the right receiver that is the open guy.

Great QBs also have leadership characteristics. It is clear Tua is liked and respected by his teammates. Tom Brady was able to drive discipline into both teams he played for.

Watch tape of bad QBs. There are players open all of the time, but the bad QBs tend not to throw the ball to the right receiver or the right spot on the field, or throw it late and not accurately without anticipation. The great QBs do. Perhaps this is why guys like Tua and Purdy get no respect, because they make it look too easy, so the punditude just assumes it is because of what is around them. But if that was the case, Garropolo would have looked as good as Purdy, and Bridgewater as good as Tua. Neither was even close.

Long winded, but if you are like me and have been skeptical about Purdy, that should give you insight into why many of the national pundits are skeptical about both. And likely very wrong about both.
Ever since Purdy entered our game and shredded, I've held him in high regard as a QB. I have he and Tua pretty close, with Tua getting the nod because he doesn't have an all-pro TE security blanket and all-pro RB who also excels in receiving, like Purdy does. Tua has a mostly serviceable TE option, and speedsters at RB that can't run the ball like CMC, albeit we don't know exactly 100% what we have in Achane yet, though VERY promising. They're very similar in systems, and I think you could put either QB on either team and they'd do well, again, Tua would fare slightly better IMO. They're most definitely the top 2 young QBs in the league, IMO, with Stroud working hard on entering the conversation going forward.

What did I just read?

eyes staring GIF

I don't think the stats are what make Tua special... It's when you combine them with the fact he does it, on average, faster than the time it would take for a free outside rusher to get there...
I remember when he was drafted that many posters and many members of the media said that Tua wasn’t capable of reading defenses fast enough to make it in the NFL. They claimed he was a one read QB and if that one read wasn’t there, he would just throw the ball away or take a sack.

I don’t expect those individuals to ever admit they were wrong because that’s just not who they are. So I will tell them instead, “YOU ALL WERE WRONG”.

Our future is bright so invest in some good shades

Last edited:
When the 49ers lost a couple of their stars for a few games Purdy looked ordinary.

Stick Mac Jones in his spot and SF is still winning the same way.

And put Purdy in NE and he is a bum.

Back
Top Bottom