Brock Purdy Gives Me Some Insight Into The Skepticism About Tua | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brock Purdy Gives Me Some Insight Into The Skepticism About Tua

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick too...... at some point performance in the NFL eclipses draft postion.
The main difference being Brady was the best player on the Patriots team for close to 2 decades. He won SBs his team had no business even being in from a talent perspective. The 49ers have arguably the best roster in the NFL if you ignore the QB position. CMC, Trent Williams, Nick Bosa and Fred Warner are the top 1-2 players in the NFL at their position. Not to mention they have Aiyuk, Kittle and Samuel on offense and an excellent OL.

Agree 100 percent.

I also think the average fan judges players and quarterbacks by highlights to an extent. Even if you watch a lot of football, you can't watch it all.

If you go by highlights only, Josh Allen looks incredible. He runs over linebackers, throws the football 103 miles per hour. He's 6-5, 260.

Who cares that he chokes a lot under pressure. He looks like a quarterback should look.

Tua and Purdy are a tad above 6-0, a few inches taller than the average man. Neither blows you away with their physical skills.

So, as you so eloquently stated, fans look past all the little things that add up and makes a quarterback successful.

Tua has won games without talent, especially early in his career. Purdy struggled mightily when his talent was hurt. Tua is a much better QB. Tua has won in multiple systems without talent in the NFL. Purdy looked like **** when McCaffery and Samuel were out. Tua is a very good QB, Purdy is a system QB.

Purdy is in the similar no respect bucket as Tua. Both get the knock of being system QBs that are only successful due to the talent and great coaching around them.

Well, to be fair, both things can be true. They can both be really good and also a product of a system that maximizes their strengths.

To me, while they both are considered undersized and not overly athletic -- I don't see Purdy in the same category as Tua. Tua was a top 5 pick that was widely viewed as a #1 type of pick until his hip injury. He'd been known as a top prospect for a long time and was also was known to have some potentially elite level skills.

Purdy, meanwhile, wasn't anywhere near the prospect Tua and many other QB's were. He essentially came out of nowhere, which makes the skepticism -- warranted or not -- much more understandable. We've also never seen Purdy start at QB for a full season or most of a full season under the same or similar set of circumstances Tua endured during his first 2 seasons or under the circumstances Bryce Young, Sam Howell, Justin Fields and Kyler Murray find themselves in now.

Purdy has only ever played with what's likely widely considered a top 2-3 offensive unit. And with an MVP candidate. The few games in which McCaffrey, Deebo and Trent Williams missed or were ineffective, Purdy didn't fare too well.

Meanwhile, we've seen Tua still succeed and find ways to lead his team to a winning record (during his starts) despite not having a very capable o-line and while lacking top shelf skill talent.

For those reasons, the continued skepticism toward Tua is puzzling while the same skepticism toward Purdy is completely understandable -- even if he eventually proves all the naysayers wrong.

Lastly, Purdy has only started 17 games. Tua has started 46. If TT still isn't getting respect from a large faction of naysayers after that many games then it stands to reason that the skepticism wrt Purdy is quite fair having played such a small volume of games and rarely w/o elite talent surrounding him.

Ask most pundits, neither Tua nor Purdy is in their top 5, or even top 10. I think it is a combination of their smaller size, lack of running ability, lack of cannons for arms, and the fact that they don't make highlight film type plays, which aids and abets the skepticism.

All the factors you outlined here are certainly among the many in play. Hell, even after winning a SB in 1981, Bill Walsh reportedly tried to trade Joe Montana for John Elway in 1983. Probably for many of the same reasons. Joe just didn't compare physically to John Elway or Dan Marino. But in that WCO system with that head coach and those surrounding players -- he was as good or better than anyone.

Purdy is in the similar no respect bucket as Tua. Both get the knock of being system QBs that are only successful due to the talent and great coaching around them. Ask most pundits, neither Tua nor Purdy is in their top 5, or even top 10. I think it is a combination of their smaller size, lack of running ability, lack of cannons for arms, and the fact that they don't make highlight film type plays, which aids and abets the skepticism. Purdy is also hurt by his low draft status and the fact that he was not a big name coming out of college.

While I defend Tua and state his unique strengths are not recognized or understood and he is the point guard that makes it all happen, I cannot bring myself to say Purdy is a top 5 QB. That is especially odd, because Purdy has been better than Tua this year. #1 rated QB in the NFL, only 1 fewer TD pass, 4 fewer INTs, and has delivered wins against top flight teams with good defenses like Philly and Dallas.

I wouldn't be surprised if many on Finheaven have the same perspective as me. Tua is great, and Purdy is just a guy. If you think that way, and ding Purdy, perhaps we are all making the mistake about Purdy that the pundits make about Tua. Which if nothing else, helps you understand the skepticism.

I remember last year when the Dolphins played the 49ers. Garropolo got hurt, and Purdy came in. He started the year as the third string QB, that means he had no reps. After being forced into action, with zero experience, he tore the Dolphins to shreds. That should have been the early indicator the kid might have it. In no time, he looked a fair bit better than Garropolo ever did, who had a lot of experience, was in the same system with the same players and coaches, and was viewed as a borderline top 10 NFL QB, that had taken his team to the SB.

The great QBs make it look easy. There is more to being a great QB and winning games that having a cannon for an arm or being able to run around all over the place. It is still a decision making position. When you watch Brady or Tua or Purdy play, players look wide open all of the time. Perhaps that is not a function of the talent around them and the system, but of what the QB is doing. Making the right reads, getting the ball out quickly, throwing accurately and with anticipation, and getting it to the right receiver that is the open guy.

Great QBs also have leadership characteristics. It is clear Tua is liked and respected by his teammates. Tom Brady was able to drive discipline into both teams he played for.

Watch tape of bad QBs. There are players open all of the time, but the bad QBs tend not to throw the ball to the right receiver or the right spot on the field, or throw it late and not accurately without anticipation. The great QBs do. Perhaps this is why guys like Tua and Purdy get no respect, because they make it look too easy, so the punditude just assumes it is because of what is around them. But if that was the case, Garropolo would have looked as good as Purdy, and Bridgewater as good as Tua. Neither was even close.

Long winded, but if you are like me and have been skeptical about Purdy, that should give you insight into why many of the national pundits are skeptical about both. And likely very wrong about both.
I judge qbs the year they are playing in and numbers don’t lie. Purdy and Tua are both top 5 qbs this year based on their numbers. I’d like to see Tua play well in the last three games and also play well and deliver a couple or more
Wins during the playoffs, I think that is all that remains for him to
Take his place in the top 5 amongst the pundits if that matters to anyone.

I just think both QBs flourish from having Shanahan and McDaniel. Mike was a quick study and he’s taken things up a notch. Never seen the stuff he’s doing with an offense like what he’s scheming up with ours. Granted, we’ve got the guys to do it.

Last edited:
Purdy is in the similar no respect bucket as Tua. Both get the knock of being system QBs that are only successful due to the talent and great coaching around them. Ask most pundits, neither Tua nor Purdy is in their top 5, or even top 10. I think it is a combination of their smaller size, lack of running ability, lack of cannons for arms, and the fact that they don't make highlight film type plays, which aids and abets the skepticism. Purdy is also hurt by his low draft status and the fact that he was not a big name coming out of college.

While I defend Tua and state his unique strengths are not recognized or understood and he is the point guard that makes it all happen, I cannot bring myself to say Purdy is a top 5 QB. That is especially odd, because Purdy has been better than Tua this year. #1 rated QB in the NFL, only 1 fewer TD pass, 4 fewer INTs, and has delivered wins against top flight teams with good defenses like Philly and Dallas.

I wouldn't be surprised if many on Finheaven have the same perspective as me. Tua is great, and Purdy is just a guy. If you think that way, and ding Purdy, perhaps we are all making the mistake about Purdy that the pundits make about Tua. Which if nothing else, helps you understand the skepticism.

I remember last year when the Dolphins played the 49ers. Garropolo got hurt, and Purdy came in. He started the year as the third string QB, that means he had no reps. After being forced into action, with zero experience, he tore the Dolphins to shreds. That should have been the early indicator the kid might have it. In no time, he looked a fair bit better than Garropolo ever did, who had a lot of experience, was in the same system with the same players and coaches, and was viewed as a borderline top 10 NFL QB, that had taken his team to the SB.

The great QBs make it look easy. There is more to being a great QB and winning games that having a cannon for an arm or being able to run around all over the place. It is still a decision making position. When you watch Brady or Tua or Purdy play, players look wide open all of the time. Perhaps that is not a function of the talent around them and the system, but of what the QB is doing. Making the right reads, getting the ball out quickly, throwing accurately and with anticipation, and getting it to the right receiver that is the open guy.

Great QBs also have leadership characteristics. It is clear Tua is liked and respected by his teammates. Tom Brady was able to drive discipline into both teams he played for.

Watch tape of bad QBs. There are players open all of the time, but the bad QBs tend not to throw the ball to the right receiver or the right spot on the field, or throw it late and not accurately without anticipation. The great QBs do. Perhaps this is why guys like Tua and Purdy get no respect, because they make it look too easy, so the punditude just assumes it is because of what is around them. But if that was the case, Garropolo would have looked as good as Purdy, and Bridgewater as good as Tua. Neither was even close.

Long winded, but if you are like me and have been skeptical about Purdy, that should give you insight into why many of the national pundits are skeptical about both. And likely very wrong about both.

Compelling argument. Cogent. Coherent. Enjoyed reading your post.

Back
Top Bottom