Brock Purdy Gives Me Some Insight Into The Skepticism About Tua | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brock Purdy Gives Me Some Insight Into The Skepticism About Tua

With all due respect, trying to compare Tom Brady to any other player is simply a moot point. There will never been another player like him. Yes, a lot of teams missed by passing on Brady, but that was 24 years ago.

The amount of time, money and technology that goes into drafting guys now is exponentially different. Purdy went in the 7th round because he has below NFL average arm strength and dealt with some injuries.

Yes, he has played well within the 49ers system. The difference between our offense and theirs is that ours was designed specifically for Tua and theirs was designed for any high end game manager QB. Jimmy G has never been a quality starter, has never been able to stay healthy, and it was not a surprise Purdy got the starting nod before the season.
We can just agree to disagree.

Don't know Brock other than quite impressive that he is doing so well considering he was picked last in the draft. 49ers have a superior system especially for QBs imo. But IMO Tua does have the it factor as a QB but the jury is still out can he stay healthy more than hurt during his career. BIG question!

I feel like the media loves Purdy. That little dweeb Nick Never Wright had Purdy ranked ahead of Tua just today on national tv.
He's had purdy near bottom of tier most of the season. He had a deebo picture carrying brock up as in like to troll regarding purdy. Otherwise Tua has been in top 10 tier most of the season sometimes at no 2

If you are talking about Titans Report, I am FinFanInNOVA on that forum and have been defending Tua.
Tua didn't have wrs to sling it to, 0 time with trash o line. And tua was still healing from his serious hip injury. It wasn't until his 3rd season that I noticed good zip from Tua again. His rookie season, the ball didn't seem to have much zip. Tua was playing his rookie season when it should have been his red shirt year considering his hip injury from college. I mean a similar hip injury ended bo jackson's career back in the day

Agree 100 percent.

I also think the average fan judges players and quarterbacks by highlights to an extent. Even if you watch a lot of football, you can't watch it all.

If you go by highlights only, Josh Allen looks incredible. He runs over linebackers, throws the football 103 miles per hour. He's 6-5, 260.

Who cares that he chokes a lot under pressure. He looks like a quarterback should look.

Tua and Purdy are a tad above 6-0, a few inches taller than the average man. Neither blows you away with their physical skills.

So, as you so eloquently stated, fans look past all the little things that add up and makes a quarterback successful.
I wonder how Joe montant would have been treated in this day and age before he won his super bowls. Or even when he won his first season. Back then it didn't seem like he was seen as just a guy, but a damn good qb. I mean look at the team and talent Montana was surrounded by. Rice the best wr still imo, roger craig a great versatile rb, who was very good receiving too. They had good no 2 wr too. Good o line, I mean all stars on the defense, a good defense. Ronnie Lott, charles haley etc. Man if there were a bunch of sports shows then, social media, podcasts, The great joe probably would've been doubted until he won his 2nd superbowl because he wasn't a big qb with a strong arm. His greatness was his leadership and intangibles. He was clutch in the biggest moments

That's because they're not considered Tua hi lites.

They're considered Hill's highlights lol.

Remember, we gotta follow the evolving narrative of so many who are scared Tua will win MVP and make them all look foolish
hmm I've seen plenty of highlight passes by Tua passing to other wrs tho. Remember that madden like spin move td pass from Tua to cracraft I think in miami's big comeback win vs ravens last year? Where Tua had 6 tds in that game? Tua may not be fastm but he's quicker and more agile with shake and bake, side to side movements than a lot of qbs

OP - the media used to say the same thing about Joe Montana and Tom Brady for a bit.

Todays pundits are obsessed with athletic ability - like running - and over-hype it
Excellent point and it's been this way as long as I can remember. The media always gives the benefit of the doubt and overrate anybody who has a strong arm, quick release, or can run the ball. The guys that consistently go out there and win, show mettle in tough situations, and aren't "exciting" have to prove themselves by winning a Super Bowl first, then they'll get the love and respect from the media (like Montana and Brady).

The scary thing is there are some guys in NFL personnel departments that use the same type of thinking. How many teams gave Jeff George a shot simply because he had the all-world arm that everyone thought deserved being the first overall pick?

As far as Tua and Purdy are concerned, I don't see why most on here are promoting Tua as one of the best in the league, but not doing the same for Purdy. They have many of the same traits and physical attributes. They run the same offense and have similar stats. Frankly, I don't see how they're both not top 5 this season.

Excellent point and it's been this way as long as I can remember. The media always gives the benefit of the doubt and overrate anybody who has a strong arm, quick release, or can run the ball. The guys that consistently go out there and win, show mettle in tough situations, and aren't "exciting" have to prove themselves by winning a Super Bowl first, then they'll get the love and respect from the media (like Montana and Brady).

The scary thing is there are some guys in NFL personnel departments that use the same type of thinking. How many teams gave Jeff George a shot simply because he had the all-world arm that everyone thought deserved being the first overall pick?

As far as Tua and Purdy are concerned, I don't see why most on here are promoting Tua as one of the best in the league, but not doing the same for Purdy. They have many of the same traits and physical attributes. They run the same offense and have similar stats. Frankly, I don't see how they're both not top 5 this season.
Excellent post

Tua has come up short several times now this season. For a guy whose career was birthed by a clutch play it’s surprising he’s not shown the ability to be clutch when surrounded by possibly the most talented guys he’ll ever play with simultaneously. It’s always something odd with Tua at the end. Whether it’s a fumbled snap or taking a sack when at the very least you need to throw it up, it’s like he reverts to the guy in the play before his infamous National Championship game throw to Devonta Smith. The guy who took a 16 yard sack.

Back
Top Bottom