Bye week reflections | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bye week reflections

The 49ers have been on a tear and we destroyed them. So the question is how much is due to the injury they suffered and how much is due to we're a decent football team?
Time will answer this but just like in life I believe the answer lies somewhere in-between. If the QB is all that's advertised the Phins will be much better than most anticipated.

Last edited:
Time will answer this but just like in life I believe the answer lies somewhere in between. If the QB is all that's advertised the Phins will be much better that most anticipated.

All the rumors and inside information suggest Tua brings a larger array of throws that we haven't gotten from Fitz.
Watching the all-22 confirms there are a lot of plays that are left on the field.
Fitz also brings a lot to the table interms of his scrambling ability that i don't want Tua attempting.

So we'll see how things balance out.

All the rumors and inside information suggest Tua brings a larger array of throws that we haven't gotten from Fitz.
Watching the all-22 confirms there are a lot of plays that are left on the field.
Fitz also brings a lot to the table interms of his scrambling ability that i don't want Tua attempting.

So we'll see how things balance out.
Tua is going to have to move around behind the line of scrimmage... mobility is his strength. But he needs to remain BEHIND the LOS to be effective. His game needs to reflect that of what Russell Wilson is doing now... only run when he has to.

Tua is going to have to move around behind the line of scrimmage... mobility is his strength. But he needs to remain BEHIND the LOS to be effective. His game needs to reflect that of what Russell Wilson is doing now... only run when he has to.

For G-Sakes...it he's out of the pocket..throw it away or slide...please don't try to be a super-star.
We don't need defenders taking free shots at our starting QB.

Guys like Burrow and Herbert have the size and non-serious injury history to afford those blows. Not Tua..

I get the feeling if he tries something reckless Flo will rip him a new one.

For G-Sakes...it he's out of the pocket..throw it away or slide...please don't try to be a super-star.

Guys like Burrow and Herbert have the size and non-serious injury history to afford those blows. Not Tua..

Agreed... but mobility is his game. Just like Wilson.

True dat! How does Cleveland feel about Baker Mayfield? Or The Jets & Sam Darnold? With all of these guys, talent is only part of the equation. How’s his coaching? Does the Front office put the pieces around him to succeed? Look at Adam Gase and Ryan Tannehill.

Here was a guy, now injuries also were a factor, but here was a guy that we had and weren’t sure what he was after 6 or so years, and now his rankings in most meaningful stats have him as like the 5th rated QB in the league. Is that who Ryan Tannehill has always been? I wasn’t sure when he was here, but upon reflection, he was a hard worker, had talent, smart, had heart, and lots of toughness. Seems like if a player possesses those characteristics, then they are more likely to succeed than not, and Herbert may be cut from a similar cloth? but as you say, we shall see...
Good point. Look how well Tannehill played for that stretch when Miami actually had a running game with Ajayi. Tennessee understood that. Adam Gase and Miami didn't. There aren't many quarterbacks who can carry a team without much help. Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, maybe a few others.

Time will answer this but just like in life I believe the answer lies somewhere in between. If the QB is all that's advertised the Phins will be much better that most anticipated.
The thing that I noticed early on in the SF game was how Miami's secondary locked down the 49er receivers. Granted, that's not an area of strength for SF, but that was impressive just the same. Getting Byron Jones back there with X. Howard has been huge. Ogbah has also come on strong after the first few games and has honestly been one of the best pass rushers in the NFL the last four weeks.

Agree, that the answer is somewhere in-between. I do recognize that Jimmy G was just coming back from an injury etc.

Agreed. If he MUST run, get the easy/safe yards and give up.

Funny to say 'underrated group of receivers' when many of us felt that was Miami's best position group coming into the season. Preston Williams got flat-out bigger and he plays big, if not as as quick and explosive as he looked at times. Parker also plays big. Both of them use their bodies like NBA big men. It will be fun to see how these other WRs distinguish themselves as the season goes forward.
They are underrated. They don't get the recognition around the league, they should. We Dolfans know what and who they are, but other fans from around the league don't really know or care about Parker, Williams and Gesicki.

They're also underrated because of guys like Ford, Smythe and Shaheen. These guys do a lot of the dirty work for Miami. But don't get the recognition they deserve as well.

They are underrated. They don't get the recognition around the league, they should. We Dolfans know what and who they are, but other fans from around the league don't really know or care about Parker, Williams and Gesicki.

They're also underrated because of guys like Ford, Smythe and Shaheen. These guys do a lot of the dirty work for Miami. But don't get the recognition they deserve as well.

IMO, a speed guy would clearly improve their potential and recognition

Folks around here need to realize Tua is a football player and
(we have to hope) he's not a china doll! The hip was a freak thing
and should be OK with "normal" football contact.

Bottom line -- the kid is going to take some hits! It's impossible
to play NFL QB and not get hit! Beyond that -- the kid is going to
get chunks on the ground when its there! That's a guarantee!

Of course -- we want the kid to play smart and AVOID contact
as much as possible! No hero ball. Don't be afraid to thow the ball away.
Get the ball out fast. etc. etc.

But I'm looking forward to the fact the kid is going to play ball
and not try to hide. He'll be OK. And after a few hits -- we'll all feel better!

I always laugh when people talk about how small and fragile Tua is. He's about the same size as Zeke Elliott, both about 6' 220-225. Aaron Rodgers is about the same weight as Tua and only two inches taller... height in itself doesn't make you more or less injury prone. It's almost comical to think "Yes player X got injured on that play but if he was an inch or two taller he would be ok."

I always laugh when people talk about how small and fragile Tua is. He's about the same size as Zeke Elliott, both about 6' 220-225. Aaron Rodgers is about the same weight as Tua and only two inches taller... height in itself doesn't make you more or less injury prone. It's almost comical to think "Yes player X got injured on that play but if he was an inch or two taller he would be ok."

Size is part of it and some guys even at the same size are more injury prone.
Part of it is genetics and part of it is composition and part of it is how they take/avoid hits.

I haven't followed Tua as closely as some here. But the times i watched him in college he seemed to be hobbling/limping every other play after a sack or some form of contact.
Yet you watch guys like Russel take sack after sack and they seem to walk away without a hitch.

Then there are guys like Murray that seem to never take a shot.
The list goes on and on for guys of comparative sizes.

Back
Top Bottom