Call me Crazy but I think Manning MAY be within reach | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Call me Crazy but I think Manning MAY be within reach

Manning is out of our reach. He'll be tagged & cost way more than we can afford financially.

Yes we really do need Madison. The most important players on our D are Madison, Surtain, Taylor, & two big DTs.

ogunleye can not be traded, and heck, no one would want Madison anywhere near his salary range.

With alot of similarly skilled corners in Shawn Spings and Bobby Taylor, along with guys better then him like Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Antoine Winfield, Chris McCallister and potentially Ty Law, it would make little sense for any team to trade for Madison.

Originally posted by Dolphins99Fan
Heres an idea I was thinking of after listening to some news on ESPN Radio..

First off, it has been stated that the Dolphins are looking for a 1st Rounder to any team that were to sign restricted Free Agent Adawale Ogonleye.

One of the teams interested in him are the Houston Texans, who possess the #10 pick.

Call me nuts but here's my suggestion..

Let Ogoneleye go to Houston for the #10 pick..

Turn and offer the pick, along with their second of the first rounders, #20 overall to San Diego for their #1 pick.

Am I insane, or does anyone else find this deal possible? The Chargers could get help on two fronts, while the Phins could get Manning..

I think there is a rule that you can not trade an RFA just like that. But I am not sure.

But why would SD not be interested in Manning. They could get rid of Brees which obviously was a dissappointment and just pick up Manning.

So why would SD be interested in giving up their #1 pick when they are desperate for a QB as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
nobody knows if houstan wants ogun, but depending on the tender and his contract demands, they are one of several teams looking to upgrade the defense (specifically defensive line) and they will definitely look at ogun as an option.
they just happen to be the only team with a top 10 pick that could show legit interest, so since that would be the best option for miami, he used it in his example.

Glad someone seemed to get what I was saying..

I see it to man, and I think it can happen. We DO have the firepower to get to him, it's just a matter of convincing the front office to do so.

We CAN package the rights to resign O-gun in a deal. We have to be responsible for any accelerated signings though. It's been done before I don't know all the logisitics, but you not technically trading the player, your trading the rights to match any offer. Get madison to restructure and we have a deal on our hands. O-gun, Madison, and our low first rounder for a Manning. :evil:

Another scenario is the one you described, but that's contingent on the Texans taking O-gun. We COULD possibly take our 2 first rounders this year (depending on how high they are) and thorw in a conditional next year. A second rounder that could turn into a 1st rounder. I highly doubt we'd have to trade thema first as he would still be a rookie QB.

i guess there is no way to really have an educated guess at what a team will do. i was absolutely shocked when the fins drsfted fletcher, then gave him money to sit on the bench. at least they got that right!:yell:

We have to be responsible for any accelerated signings though.

Speaking of which.....would paying for accelerated signings count against the cap in successive years?

The problem with this scenario is not that the front office wouldn't do it. I am sure they would, but SD wouldn't take it. The reason is that just about every team follows those trade value charts like the one JJ created. There are slight differences in each team's chart, but they are all basically the same. On the chart I have the #1 pick is worth 3000 pts. The #20 pick is worth 900 pts. I'll assume that Houston gives us their #10 pick for Ogun (I don't know where picks or that they want Ogun this is just for illustration) The #10 pick is worth 1300 pts. If we give them our two #1s we're up to 2200 pts. They are going to want more. So say we rework Madison's contract and now he is desireable.(I'm not sure how that would work, but we're making asssumptions) General consensus is that Madison is worth @ a 2nd round pick. I'll use the #14 pick in round 2 b/c its a nice round number and is about mid way. That pick is valued at 450 pts. We are now up to 2650 pts. SD will probably want more. To make things perfectly even (its not required but again this is just an illustration) we need another 350 pts. That's equivalent to the 24th pick in the 2nd round. Now we don't have a 2nd, so we would have to dip into next year's picks. General rule is that next year's 1st round pick equals this year's 2nd round pick. So that's what it would take approximately. This year's #10 and #20, Madison and next year's #1. I hope this helps.

Hey rafael can you give me a link to this chart please.

I'd be more than overjoyed if we can find a way to get Ben Roslitheberger.

Originally posted by Graythreat

I see it to man, and I think it can happen. We DO have the firepower to get to him, it's just a matter of convincing the front office to do so.

We CAN package the rights to resign O-gun in a deal. We have to be responsible for any accelerated signings though. It's been done before I don't know all the logisitics, but you not technically trading the player, your trading the rights to match any offer. Get madison to restructure and we have a deal on our hands. O-gun, Madison, and our low first rounder for a Manning. :evil:

Another scenario is the one you described, but that's contingent on the Texans taking O-gun. We COULD possibly take our 2 first rounders this year (depending on how high they are) and thorw in a conditional next year. A second rounder that could turn into a 1st rounder. I highly doubt we'd have to trade thema first as he would still be a rookie QB.

Thing about O is that he's a Restricted Free Agent.. Any team that signs him will have to pay the Dolphins compensation.

The same situation happened last year, where the Bills got Atlanta's 1st Round draft pick after the Falcons signed Price. Once he is signed to an offer sheet, Miami will have so many days to re-sign him, and if they elect not to, a 1st rounder as compensation is not out of the question. O is still young, he's an All Pro and he could be the anchor/pass rushing presence that a team like Houston desperately needs.

Looking at some numbers to back up my claim..

In 2003, LB Jamie Sharper led the team in sacks with, count em, 4..

Second on the list was Kaliee Wong, with a whopping 3.

Combined, the Texans as a team had a TOTAL of 19 sacks.

In 2003, Adewale Ogunleye ALONE had 15 sacks.

So, to the previous poster who said that there is question of whether or not Houston would even be interested in O, I think it's pretty obvious that they need someone to put pressure on the passer, a role that O would fit. He's young, he's proven and he would be a nice fit in Houston's defensive scheme.

Strong chance that the Texans move out of that scheme. At this point they would take a reach for Udeze from USC. They have cap room after cutting some guys and will take O-Gun if it is only that pick. That pick has the possiblity of landing either a Roethlisberger, a Roy Williams, Sean Taylor, Robert Gallery, Shawn Andrews. The 10 pick is super value for us. With David Pollack staying things just got alot better for the Phins.

Thing about O is that he's a Restricted Free Agent.. Any team that signs him will have to pay the Dolphins compensation.

The same situation happened last year, where the Bills got Atlanta's 1st Round draft pick after the Falcons signed Price. Once he is signed to an offer sheet, Miami will have so many days to re-sign him, and if they elect not to, a 1st rounder as compensation is not out of the question. O is still young, he's an All Pro and he could be the anchor/pass rushing presence that a team like Houston desperately needs.

Looking at some numbers to back up my claim..

In 2003, LB Jamie Sharper led the team in sacks with, count em, 4..

Second on the list was Kaliee Wong, with a whopping 3.

Combined, the Texans as a team had a TOTAL of 19 sacks.

In 2003, Adewale Ogunleye ALONE had 15 sacks.

So, to the previous poster who said that there is question of whether or not Houston would even be interested in O, I think it's pretty obvious that they need someone to put pressure on the passer, a role that O would fit. He's young, he's proven and he would be a nice fit in Houston's defensive scheme.

Your agreeing with me in a way :) I'm just saying cut out houston.

I know he's an RFA. He's free to take offers from other teams, but we have first rights to match that offer. IF he goes somewhere they are required to compensate us with picks.

BUT someone said we can't "trade' him. Which technically is correct. But if I remember correctly, we can "trade" the rights to another team (SD). He would in essence, be theirs. In doing so, they would have the right to match an offer made by another team. We can't trade a guy we don't have signed, but we can trade the right ot sign him. If we did that, SD would ahve the right to match an offer, else THEY would get the picks if he was traded away.

If San Diego grabs Manning, there's little to no way in hell Roethlesberger drops to 10, unless he has a miserable combine.

Back
Top Bottom