Call me Crazy but I think Manning MAY be within reach | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Call me Crazy but I think Manning MAY be within reach

Why would we?

Supposedly FO is going WR round 1. Thank you Rick Spielman.

I dug around the 01 and 02 drafts, here's what Atlanta gave up to move from #5 to SD's #1 in 01 to get Vick:
01 SD got Atlanta's #5 plus their second rounder, plus in 02 they got Atlanta's 2nd rounder. SO swap #1's plus 2 #2's. Unless I missed something, that was it. I can see 2 #1's getting packaged together with some other picks to make a run at Eli or Ben. I'm optomistic they would try, but not surprised if they stay put.

since they had the 5, they had to give up a lot less than we would at the twenty, wed probably have to give our first and second, and next years 1st, possibly more

Rothy is far far far easier than Eli to get. 1st pick is ridiculous to get. Trading for it is pointless as it requires two of our firsts this year, a 1st next year and a 2nd next year according to the chart NFL teams follow.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0
since they had the 5, they had to give up a lot less than we would at the twenty, wed probably have to give our first and second, and next years 1st, possibly more
there is such a transition between college and pro, you're kinda guessing!;)

And if we get Eli, how does he help us this year..I thought our QB would in training, while this vet team tries to win the bit one. so why would we give up so much to get an apprentice and do nothing to help us now. Get Rivers with the 20th and move on.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
And if we get Eli, how does he help us this year..I thought our QB would in training, while this vet team tries to win the bit one. so why would we give up so much to get an apprentice and do nothing to help us now. Get Rivers with the 20th and move on.
well I 'll offer up this rebuttal:
I read in the latest sporting News that David Cutcliffe, who was Peyton's position coach at Tenn for 4 years, AND ELi's head coach for 5- stated that Eli is "a better quarterback than Peyton was when he left college."
Now, using Peyton as a benchmark, let's look at his rookie season stats:
575 326 %56.7 yds:3739 avg.6.50 lng78 td26 int28 rat71.2

I'll put these up against Fiedlers this year:
314 179 %57.0 yds:2138 avg.6.81 lng59 td11 int13 rat72.4

So one would be inclined to think that Eli MIGHT play a little better, (having his brother help ease him in to NFL speed), so maybe his ends up with a rating around 78-80. Way better than Jay's 72, and they still went 10-6. Now granted, Peyton went 3-13 his first year, but he went 13-3 the next year while putting up these numbers:
533 331 %62.1 yds:4135 avg.7.76 lng80 td26 int15 rat90.7

So if Eli is truly better than Peyton coming in, he might just play well enough in his first year to start and be competitive.
And if Miami looks at the big picture, maybe it's better to take a Franchise QB and win in a year or two instead of now. I know it's a long shot, but just picture Manning, Williams, McMichael and Chambers, along with a upgrade here and there. *drool*

Originally posted by burghPhinFan
well I 'll offer up this rebuttal:
I read in the latest sporting News that David Cutcliffe, who was Peyton's position coach at Tenn for 4 years, AND ELi's head coach for 5- stated that Eli is "a better quarterback than Peyton was when he left college."
Now, using Peyton as a benchmark, let's look at his rookie season stats:
575 326 %56.7 yds:3739 avg.6.50 lng78 td26 int28 rat71.2

I'll put these up against Fiedlers this year:
314 179 %57.0 yds:2138 avg.6.81 lng59 td11 int13 rat72.4

So one would be inclined to think that Eli MIGHT play a little better, (having his brother help ease him in to NFL speed), so maybe his ends up with a rating around 78-80. Way better than Jay's 72, and they still went 10-6. Now granted, Peyton went 3-13 his first year, but he went 13-3 the next year while putting up these numbers:
533 331 %62.1 yds:4135 avg.7.76 lng80 td26 int15 rat90.7

So if Eli is truly better than Peyton coming in, he might just play well enough in his first year to start and be competitive.
And if Miami looks at the big picture, maybe it's better to take a Franchise QB and win in a year or two instead of now. I know it's a long shot, but just picture Manning, Williams, McMichael and Chambers, along with a upgrade here and there. *drool*
that took some research!;)

Originally posted by dolfan06
that took some research!;)

agreed, taht is great to read.

And now consider that we have more Offensive Talent here at Miami than they had when Manning walked on. We have Ricky the y didn't get James until later, etc.

My ONE reservation about him starting next year is our O-line. I don't want him to get hurt, or beat up to the point where he cringes in teh pocket. It might be wise to sit him for awhile until our Oline proves it can get it done.

Originally posted by Graythreat

agreed, taht is great to read.

And now consider that we have more Offensive Talent here at Miami than they had when Manning walked on. We have Ricky the y didn't get James until later, etc.

My ONE reservation about him starting next year is our O-line. I don't want him to get hurt, or beat up to the point where he cringes in teh pocket. It might be wise to sit him for awhile until our Oline proves it can get it done.
thanks guys, but it wasn't all that hard. I think the going argument is that if they sacrifice picks now (and later) to move up, where was does that leave the O line? How can the offense be any better with the same cast of characters? I think then you have to weigh the benenfits of what you are aquiring, and how often does a franchise QB (with the pedigree of Eli) come along? Can the o line be adressed any other way? This team will need an serious upgrade at QB sooner or later, and there's 2 VERY good ones coming out, maybe it's best to address that need now, and bite the bullet on the o line.

Won't HAVE to bite the bullet on the O-line though. There's plenty in FA. You can always add depth next year or in this year's later rounds.

You know what I say, winning now happens in all kinds of ways. Look at the Cincinnati Bengals. They draft Carson Palmer then make a dramatic turnaround nearly win the division BEFORE Palmer can even do anything for them.

We've won now for a lot of years without a decent quarterback. We can do it again.

But when it comes to finding your next great quarterback, you don't fvck around man. Thats what I say. You don't settle and you don't go into it half-@ssed. You can't just be like "take care of your QB need at #20" if you don't feel the guys available at 20 are going to be GOOD quarterbacks.

If there are questions about Rivers and Losman, which there are many, you do your damnedest to move up and get someone like Manning or Roethlisberger. This is the future of your franchise you're talkin about. For every Ryan Leaf, there's probably 2 or 3 Jim Druckenmillers and Cade McNowns...Akili Smiths.

I agree CK, if Roethlisberger gets passed pick 3 or 4 which there is a good chance as neither team is that that high on him fire away and trade with Gibbs for the fifth spot. It would take two first rounders.

We've won now for a lot of years without a decent quarterback. We can do it again
what bugs me is how far this team could've gone the past few years with a QB that was constantly in the 80-90's rating wise.
I think as good as Jay plyed at times, I also think he held the team back.

Back
Top Bottom