Cameron Wake as pass rusher having epic camp | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cameron Wake as pass rusher having epic camp

Good to hear......I will feel great when I hear he doing a good job against the run and in coverage.......If he can be an every down OLB his pass rush will be unstoppable....then we can move him around to keep the offense from taking him out or rolling away from him.......

Cam Wake counters off his outside rush. He's gotten sacks with bull rushes as well as inside counters and spins. The important thing to note about him is that he's not just all speed. He is VERY strong, has great weight room prowess, and can forklift offensive tackles. He's also very flexible.

He will start this year, and he'll be fine.

That's what stands out the most to me. The guy has several moves in his arsenal. He embarassed Kirk Chambers and Jeremy Trueblood last year with every pass rush move imaginable.

We already know he's a standout 3rd down pass rusher

If he's going to start at OLB he needs to show he can diagnose plays, not get sucked out of position on running downs and not be a liability in coverage

Didn't stop Nolan from playing Dumerville on 1st/2nd downs last year. When you're as dynamic a pass rusher as Wake is, you play him full time no matter how he does in run defense. Coverage isn't going to matter all too much because Wake will be rushing a good 85% of the time or so.

Yeah, when Wake drops in coverage, I imagine it'll almost be like a zone-blitz look, because offenses will be looking for him to rush so often. He has all the tools to be very good against the run - strong as a bull, quick, explosive. I think he'll be much better in that regard than many people think. Also, we had a very good D against the run last season, and Porter was pretty bad in that department. I don't see Wake as being much of a downgrade against the run - if one at all. Pass D was our main issue. He'll get after the QB. Put him on the field.

Yeah, when Wake drops in coverage, I imagine it'll almost be like a zone-blitz look, because offenses will be looking for him to rush so often. He has all the tools to be very good against the run - strong as a bull, quick, explosive. I think he'll be much better in that regard than many people think. Also, we had a very good D against the run last season, and Porter was pretty bad in that department. I don't see Wake as being much of a downgrade against the run - if one at all. Pass D was our main issue. He'll get after the QB. Put him on the field.

I agree with the Porter comment. He can't be any worse than Porter against the run.

Didn't stop Nolan from playing Dumerville on 1st/2nd downs last year. When you're as dynamic a pass rusher as Wake is, you play him full time no matter how he does in run defense. Coverage isn't going to matter all too much because Wake will be rushing a good 85% of the time or so.

Hmm not sure about that. So far all he's had to do in the NFL is get outside the tackle as fast as he can because he's only played in obvious passing situations (except one game where he played a few downs as a stand up OLB on 1st and 2nd down and looked a bit lost). Sure he's not going to be in coverage very often but clearly as an every down player he needs to be able to diagnose run vs pass or teams will just abuse him and we'll never even see 3rd down

It wasn't the scheme that kept Wake off the field last year - he just wasn't ready. It's true Dumervil rushed the passer on most passing downs but so did Porter (their %s were close off the top of my head - both very high - between 85 and 90%). Dumervil and Porter were being asked to do the same things. The fact that Porter was so mediocre as were his backups yet Wake was behind them shows how much work he has to do. This isn't being critical of Wake - he was basically a rookie last season and it isn't an easy position to play

Wake looked pretty pumped up in that interview video.

You know there's going to be a little subplot all season long, based on how Wake does compared to Channing's Idol over at AZ.

Cam Wake counters off his outside rush. He's gotten sacks with bull rushes as well as inside counters and spins. The important thing to note about him is that he's not just all speed. He is VERY strong, has great weight room prowess, and can forklift offensive tackles. He's also very flexible.

He will start this year, and he'll be fine.

agreed...i've seen him counter inside and spin also and create pressure...dude's a freaking beast...we stole him...you beat jake long like a rented mule 3 times you are a beast...you hear that nyjunc...lol

i don't care if wake can cover...he's a murderous pressure player...he needs to start at olb ...i'll say it again he was no worse to my eyes than joey porter last year as a run defender...what we have to be concerned with is him getting so aggressive getting upfield that he loses contain and offenses take advantage of it mainly in short yardage and the goalline...it's still worth it to have that kind of pressure player on the field as much as possible...

rotate that guy for superior matchups between right and left tackles and watch out...

The defense should have an advantage early in the camp. I am still waiting to see how he plays against the run. Would like to see him develop into more than a one dimensional player.

The more I read about the fins, the more I get excited for this year!

Back
Top Bottom