Cameron Wake as pass rusher having epic camp | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cameron Wake as pass rusher having epic camp

i was never concerned about cam wake...i know that guys legit...slimm can tell you guys last year during the preseason games when i was keying wake to see what he had that i was gaga about that guy on another site...emphatic about it...as a pass rusher he's da goods...

my concern would be if misi doesn't step up as a pass rusher teams are gonna figure out ways to limit wakes effectiveness..misi if he starts is gonna have to win some one on one matchups...it's only day 2 so i'm not worried yet but i didn't see an explosive pass rusher on tape...i hope it materializes and he proves me wrong...

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is this suggests that Wake is transitioning to the right side of the defense well.

Of all the overhangs on Cam Wake, the questions, some that are appropriate and some that are overblown, one of the big ones that I personally had was could he go to the right side and pass rush like he does on the left. He seems to think of it as a big deal, as does Bill Sheridan, and so that makes it a big deal. With some guys, it's not a big deal. If you're beating left tackle Jake Long, it suggests you're working on the right, and doing well.

I don't ever recall Wake being so bad against the run, does anyone have any examples of Wake totally failing against the run? From what I have seen of him I thought he played the run well and did a good job on retracing.

If Jason Taylor thinks this guy is going to make us forget about him then I think he is about to have a breakout MVP type season. Time shall tell.

Hmm not sure about that. So far all he's had to do in the NFL is get outside the tackle as fast as he can because he's only played in obvious passing situations (except one game where he played a few downs as a stand up OLB on 1st and 2nd down and looked a bit lost). Sure he's not going to be in coverage very often but clearly as an every down player he needs to be able to diagnose run vs pass or teams will just abuse him and we'll never even see 3rd down

It wasn't the scheme that kept Wake off the field last year - he just wasn't ready. It's true Dumervil rushed the passer on most passing downs but so did Porter (their %s were close off the top of my head - both very high - between 85 and 90%). Dumervil and Porter were being asked to do the same things. The fact that Porter was so mediocre as were his backups yet Wake was behind them shows how much work he has to do. This isn't being critical of Wake - he was basically a rookie last season and it isn't an easy position to play

I can't agree with you completely about "it wasn't the scheme the that kept Wake off the field last year - he just wasn't ready." I watched every game more than once and there were plenty of times when "the scheme" aka Coach PP kept Wake off the field when we were DYING for a pass rush - the situation that almost everyone agreed he was best at on the team. For whatever reason Coach PP wouldn't put him on the field in the obvious situations as often as he should, much less give him any chance to develop in the non-obvious situations. I think it had more to do with the coaching staff not being able to look Joey Porter and Jason Taylor in the eye and tell them that they needed to sacrifice their playing time for the good of the team.

agreed...i've seen him counter inside and spin also and create pressure...dude's a freaking beast...we stole him...you beat jake long like a rented mule 3 times you are a beast...you hear that nyjunc...lol

See I just rewatched CK's video on Wake a few minutes ago and I only counted two or three times Wake made an inside move that did anything, and all were bull rushes where he shed the QB to make a play inside. None were what I could call an inside counter, where he's reading the leverage of the tackle, plants his foot and redirects inside with a rip or a swim move. As for his spins, well he only tried it a few times when he was in trouble or double teamed, and none looked graceful to me. Some looked downright ponderous.

Even when a tackle gets the best of Wake, its uncanny and amazing how quickly he can pop up off one knee and keep going while keeping some momentum. I watched numerous times in the CFL he would get clubbed to the ground and literally spring back up and keep going around the corner. It would catch most tackles off guard as they figured they had taken him out of the play. Hes relentless, strong and as CK mentioned has impressive flexibility for a man his size. I believe some team mates in BC coined him "rubberman" for the way he would sometimes get folded up or put in awkward looking spots and bounce up or keep going. Most guys would get hurt if bent at some of the angles he was....

I'm shocked nobody had the balls to kick Porter in the face after the first time he refused to come off the field. PP was spineless. I would have benched him and forgot about him.

I do have to disagree with CK about Cam Wake hitting a rookie wall last year. This is a man who played 2 years in the CFL as a starting DE. 2 preseason games. 18 regular season. and then I believe two playoff games. If I recall correctly, he set a CFL playoff sack record for single game with either 4 or 5 ( i cant recall) that would have been his 22nd game of the year. I think it was more a case of opposing offenses getting a bit of film on him to work with and making some adjustments.................

I'm shocked nobody had the balls to kick Porter in the face after the first time he refused to come off the field. PP was spineless. I would have benched him and forgot about him.

Biggest douchebag in the NFL. Thank goodness he's gone.

i was at this evenings practice and Wake did look impressive... He bent the corner a few times on Jake for what would have been sacks

well if wake is doing that good that great for wake and our pass rush but also bad that Jake Long is getting beat like that by wake. If Wake is beating him like that Im sure there are other pass rushers as good if not better than him in the league.

Back
Top Bottom