Cameron Wake as pass rusher having epic camp | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cameron Wake as pass rusher having epic camp

dude...i wish i could get you video of the spin move i saw...it was almost not quite dwight freeney like...not kidding

he took a step outside got the tackle to overcommit and reach who he had beaten with the speed rush repeatedly and now the tackle was cheating and spun inside and to the qb...smooth as butter

tackle flailing at air...

but yeah i agree we saw mostly outside speed rush...i just don't think he trusted that he could get there with consistency any other way...and the way they were limiting his snaps he needed to go with his go to move probably to keep him on the field...

this year things should be different...i hope

That sounds great. Definitely would like to see that this preseason against the top competition. And this time I'll be watching for it!

I agree completely on why he might not have been doing it. His snaps were so limited he probably felt compelled to go with his best trick on nearly every snap. And it's not like he was out there long enough to set anyone up with the outside move and know he can come back with an inside move, or bull rush a few times and catch a guy leaning forward and then blow past him with the outside speed. They just sort of threw him out there one snap at a time. I didn't follow him at all in Canada to know but hopefully he's a savvy player that way in terms of mixing up his moves once he's been out there for a solid quarter or a solid half. He seems smart enough in interviews but that's a different thing from being field smart.

the snaps wake played or the inconsistency of the snaps i should say was just maddening...really was

good point...you can't set anybody up playing a snap here or there...

well if wake is doing that good that great for wake and our pass rush but also bad that Jake Long is getting beat like that by wake. If Wake is beating him like that Im sure there are other pass rushers as good if not better than him in the league.

No.. the correct interpretation is that if Cam Wake can beat Jake, he can beat just about any LT in the league, possibly excepting Thomas!

I don't ever recall Wake being so bad against the run, does anyone have any examples of Wake totally failing against the run? From what I have seen of him I thought he played the run well and did a good job on retracing.

If Jason Taylor thinks this guy is going to make us forget about him then I think he is about to have a breakout MVP type season. Time shall tell.

I completely agree. All we have heard is "talk" about him being poor against the run. I haven't seen it. The only example others have given is when he got juked in the open field on the fake punt...but I don't think he was really in position to do anything on that play anyway.

I personally believe it was a load of crap to make an excuse for why they weren't putting him on the field because they didn't want to upset the prima-donna pair of Porter and JT by starting Wake in front of them...just my opion...

well if wake is doing that good that great for wake and our pass rush but also bad that Jake Long is getting beat like that by wake. If Wake is beating him like that Im sure there are other pass rushers as good if not better than him in the league.

B.S. this post fails - Jake sees Wake a lot in practice and each will only make the other better - my op. Jake will be better (the name everyone remembers 20 years from now) when all is said and done... Jake was pretty stout last year after he had a bad game VS Abraham - Wake is actaully pretty dman good give him his props...

I completely agree. All we have heard is "talk" about him being poor against the run. I haven't seen it. The only example others have given is when he got juked in the open field on the fake punt...but I don't think he was really in position to do anything on that play anyway.

I personally believe it was a load of crap to make an excuse for why they weren't putting him on the field because they didn't want to upset the prima-donna pair of Porter and JT by starting Wake in front of them...just my opion...

Well even without JT and Porter here linebackers coach Bill Sheridan went on record this offseason saying that Wake needed to improve against the run and become, I think the phrase was, "at least adequate" against the pass. So that can be your opinion, that they were bad mouthing Wake to make JT and Porter feel better and have an excuse to keep him off the field, but that seems to me to be comically conspiratorial and in no way believable, and it's not supported by his current coach's stated opinion.

I will agree with one thing: we don't have much game day evidence of his defense against either. I think Wake dropped into coverage once all season and had only a few chances against the run (when he didn't distinguish himself). But they've certainly tracked his reps in practice.

I mean let's be honest. If the guy was a good run defender and pass defender, we'd be talking about a perennial All Pro. His pass rushing skills are that good. But these things take time.

Man, you'll do anything to keep from admitting that you were wrong about Wake :lol:

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

nfl_g_wake_300-1.jpg

to me this picture illustrates ankle flexion...some guys got it a lot of guys don't...look how low his lower leg is with his foot planted in the ground...i think this in addition to his power and strength is a big reason wake is able to maintain balance and leverage while getting so low...tackles have a really hard time redirecting him when he gets this low and it's eye popping how he can explode out of it despite being engaged and still be on track...

All while doing it with a savage grin. Scary.

Well even without JT and Porter here linebackers coach Bill Sheridan went on record this offseason saying that Wake needed to improve against the run and become, I think the phrase was, "at least adequate" against the pass. So that can be your opinion, that they were bad mouthing Wake to make JT and Porter feel better and have an excuse to keep him off the field, but that seems to me to be comically conspiratorial and in no way believable, and it's not supported by his current coach's stated opinion.

I will agree with one thing: we don't have much game day evidence of his defense against either. I think Wake dropped into coverage once all season and had only a few chances against the run (when he didn't distinguish himself). But they've certainly tracked his reps in practice.

I mean let's be honest. If the guy was a good run defender and pass defender, we'd be talking about a perennial All Pro. His pass rushing skills are that good. But these things take time.

Then please...tell me why Porter was on the field. It wasn't because he looked better than Cam at rushing the passer...and it certainly wasn't because of his run defense. IMO the coaching staff simply didn't have the balls to bench Porter last year.

Then please...tell me why Porter was on the field. It wasn't because he looked better than Cam at rushing the passer...and it certainly wasn't because of his run defense. IMO the coaching staff simply didn't have the balls to bench Porter last year.
It's not just your opinion - it's well-documented that Wake missed snaps because Porter refused to come out. When you add that to Joey's nice farewell comments about Wake (something to the effect of "if you want to play Cam Wake ahead of me, well kiss my a$$"), it's clear there was a major attitude problem that the coaches never dealt with.

I agree Porter looked bad in many phases last year and I'm not privy to the breakdowns and practice film they analyze, I just took issue with the characterization that there was some kind of conspiracy to keep Wake off the field and justify it by bashing him publicly in reference to his inability to play the run or the pass.

Sign me up for the team that wishes Wake was out there more last year. A lot more. But don't make up ridiculous reasons why he wasn't out there.

Chalk it up to him having more experience, having had a truly dynamic season the year before, being a clutch sack artist and a team leader. That's a hard guy to take off the field if you're a coach.

Cam Wake had a variety of moves in BC, but he does favour power. With the speed hes turning the corner, and then the power, pretty hard to handle for any tackle............

See I just rewatched CK's video on Wake a few minutes ago and I only counted two or three times Wake made an inside move that did anything, and all were bull rushes where he shed the QB to make a play inside. None were what I could call an inside counter, where he's reading the leverage of the tackle, plants his foot and redirects inside with a rip or a swim move. As for his spins, well he only tried it a few times when he was in trouble or double teamed, and none looked graceful to me. Some looked downright ponderous.

Then your accounting is off. I'm only 2 minutes into the 10 minute video and I've already counted three moves to the inside shoulder of the offensive tackle that netted him free access to the QB.

Back
Top Bottom