Can Miami Contend with Mike White at QB? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Miami Contend with Mike White at QB?

I don’t think so..

When I look at white I see a one speed thrower, not a lot of variation to the ball flight..not sure about his anticipation skills, that and accuracy are the most important traits in this offense

Could be wrong he is a gamer..

I do think we’ll have an elite defense this year so that initself can carry you all the way..
Agree and not impressed with him but, McD sees something. After his resurrection of Tua I would not bet against him making him better.
I still think Tua as a do or die for a shot at a title.

Given Tua’s history and the fact that he could be shut down at any moment we need to carry 3 QBs.

With that said, I don’t think White will be our QB2. I expect Thompson to win the backup job.

I honestly wouldn't be that surprised at any order of QBs behind Tua...and that includes James Blackman.

Why can’t Skylar improve and beat out White? I don’t get this notion that Skylar is a finished product.

Skyler could beat White, but it seems for now a bit doubtful. White did something Skyler did not in most of his games...Show confidence and little fear.

White stood in there and delivered the ball as if he had been doing it for many years. Skyler needs to be tough in ther, more sure of what his skills are and how he will succeed.

Why can’t Skylar improve and beat out White? I don’t get this notion that Skylar is a finished product.

Skylar Thompson is older than Tua. I don't think his ceiling is any higher than White's.

Heck, James Blackman is fewer than four months younger than Tua.

Mike White almost got killed behind that crappy Oline of the Jets last year. I've watched almost all his throws from last season, I have faith in this dude.

He's a hell of a lot better than Bridgewater who I never liked as a signing last year right from the start, because he sucked with the Broncos the year before.

Miami has shown it's ability to run the rock, Skylar wasn't great but I believe that Mike White ca win a few games if the offense is built around the running the ball when or if Tua gets injured, that's why they have to get a RB that's known for taking it to the house, ( Dalvin Cook). The rest of the team will be productive in this offensive scheme.

Mike White plays style is a poor man’s Ryan Fitzpatrick/Matt Moore, and that’s okay.

• He’s good enough to win games in the NFL (but not yet consistently). Small career sample size; started 8 games.
• His stats underscore his streakiness as a gunslinger. TD Rate = 1.7%-3.8%; INT Rate = 2.3%-6.1%.
• The toughness and energy he displayed with the flailing Jets helping to keep their season alive was noteworthy.
• He’s well-suited as a back-up or starter for a couple of games.

Last edited:
Good thread topic. I for one see a fragile team as well. Very talented on paper, but we are literally counting on a high number of players coming off of injury from last year. If/when they go down, we are back to square one. Tua must stay healthy enough to play every game this season.
He doesn't have to play every game but he certainly needs to be available in the playoffs to really contend. If he misses 3 games mid-season because of an ankle/rib or something and we go 1-2 with While but still make the playoffs and Tua is healthy then we should be fine. Only a handful of QB's go through a given season unscathed and play every single game.

I'd be more confident in Skyler playing than Mike White... I never liked the pickup. People here were satisfied with that, not me. Skyler should be our #2. You don't rely on a guy that won the last game of the year and almost led us to a win in Buffalo in a playoff game to reduce him to #3 the very next season. Not a good look for coach IMO
I believe this is yet to be determined in training camp, we have both guys still, if Skylar beats out White he will be the #2 just most people don't expect that out of a 7th round pick, 2nd year player.

I honestly like White much more than Skylar. I think he'll impress fans in PreSeason and win their hearts.

I really think Miami nailed the backup situation. I like Skylar for #3, but White did well with that Jets team after Wilson went down. They actually moved the ball better. Remember the MIKE WHITE t shirts the players were all repping?
When the other option is Zach Wilson it makes sense to be repping Mike White. White is a serviceable backup, but he shouldn't be leading a team over a season form what I've seen so far. He reminds me of Matt Moore.

Not always, there have been some backups that took their teams to the Superbowl. - LOL
In the modern NFL where your postseason success relies almost entirely on your QB's play, Nick Foles has been the only exception. Whether you're the Dolphins, Chiefs or Eagles, if you lose your QB in today's game, you might as well pack it in. Getting 1-2 spot start wins and just holding the fort down for a short amount of time is the most you can expect from backup today.

After the playoffs last year and all the QB's going down I can see teams having 3-4 QB's on there roster, and practice squad throughout the year. :ffic:

Back
Top Bottom