Can Miami Contend with Mike White at QB? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Miami Contend with Mike White at QB?

Disagree.

1. White’s best quality is he is as tough as nails. Likely we will never have to resort to #3 on the depth chart
2. Skylar had his chance to shine, and, well…
3. White has more upside

I'm glad we have both.

I think we have some serious depth at backup QB and we will still have competition in training camp with some other QB's coming in.

I am satisfied with the FO's performance so far this year. I do admit that I'm a little surprised at the continuous stream of players coming in with others being cut so early in the pre-season.

It looks like something good is about to happen.

I am anxious to see who is on the team after the final cuts. I bet there will be a lot of surprised posters screaming about who we cut and who we kept, but what else is new. - LOL

Yeah but this question is more so relevant to the fins given Tua's injury history. Having said that there must be a contingency plan dialed in. Trusting White will not disappoint when his opportunity comes...Hopefully it doesn't come to this but it would be naive to assume so.

I guess McD feels confident he can work with White or Grier would have never made the move.
Nah.

Show me a QB that hasnt been injured and I might agree.

Show me medical records that Tua has osteoporosis and I might agree.

There is no such thing as being injury prone. Tua has the same chance at being injured as any other QB.

IF, Tua is hurt again, and proves he is more susceptible to injury than other human beings then we need to tank the season and get another QB in the draft. Mike White and Skylar Thompson arent carrying us.

Unlike Teddy and Skylar, the one thing Mike White isn’t is scared or tentative. The kid stood in there and took some viscous hits behind that shitty Jets oline. He also played hurt. His teammates loved him. I think that’s one of the main reasons we signed him. He’s a gunslinger and a tough SOB.

He is
Dolphins have a ton of talent but is a very fragile team. If Tua goes down for an extended period most see us folding our contender tents until next year. We do not have a top running game and proven top D to fall back on like a SF. Tua has been injured a lot and considered retiring which does not instill a lot of confidence.

Mike White, in two seasons of very limited work, has shown to be average at best. Can McD make him better? Yes. Would it be enough to contend? Doubtful

I think he gives us a chance to win in any game. Our defense is going to be much improved. Especially in takeaways. And this kid has a knack for avoiding sacks and pressure. Which is one of Tua’s strengths. He is not as accurate as Tua. But he was the best QB in NY last season. IMO

I think he could keep this team at .500 in any games Tua may miss. But I’m in the camp that Tua is finally going to put that injury bug in the past. New helmet, different approach, new wrinkles in the offense, I think he’s going to be fine.

Skylar Thompson sucked PERIOD! Anyone trying to state otherwise is delusional. The TEAM kept us in the playoff game against Buffalo. He was 18 for 45 (40%) passing for 220 yards at an abysmal 4.9 yards per pop. He absolutely had a couple of key drops by receivers, but that happens to every QB in almost every game. His regular season was not much better at 5.1 per pop and a 57.1 completion percentage, with 1 TD and 3 ints in 7 games. No way White plays that horrifically. Thompson had plenty of opportunities to make plays with his legs, but refused to do so. He would stare at his first progression for like 3 seconds and hope for the best.

Watching him play QB was like watching paint dry. The only thing good that might come from him playing is the preseason queens who jump on anyone who looks good in games that really don't mean jack will think twice about naming them starters before the the regular season even starts.

Skylar Thompson sucked PERIOD! Anyone trying to state otherwise is delusional. The TEAM kept us in the playoff game against Buffalo. He was 18 for 45 (40%) passing for 220 yards at an abysmal 4.9 yards per pop. He absolutely had a couple of key drops by receivers, but that happens to every QB in almost every game. His regular season was not much better at 5.1 per pop and a 57.1 completion percentage, with 1 TD and 3 ints in 7 games. No way White plays that horrifically. Thompson had plenty of opportunities to make plays with his legs, but refused to do so. He would stare at his first progression for like 3 seconds and hope for the best.

Watching him play QB was like watching paint dry. The only thing good that might come from him playing is the preseason queens who jump on anyone who looks good in games that really don't mean jack will think twice about naming them starters before the the regular season even starts.
He was bad. No question about it. I expect improvement but not enough to beat out White. Not sure we keep three QBs this season unless we stash him on the PS.

While FitzTragic made more than his share of mistakes, FitzMagic was a pretty damn good QB. IMO, it didn't help that he bounced around from bad team to bad team. In Miami he had a torn-down and rebuilding team with a crappy o-line, little talent on offense, and a HC who didn't care about the offense, yet he made Parker and Williams look like All-Pros and even led the team in rushing. I truly believe that Fitz would have had more success had he been on a better team. Imagine if he was still with Miami as Tua's back-up last season instead of Bridgewater... they'd probably win the Division and he'd finally get to start in a playoff game!
He kept going from crappy team to crappy team because none of the good team ever thought he was good enough to be a starter for them.

I take nothing away from Fitzpatrick. He was able to have a long career in the NFL and he had some excellent games along the way. Yet he also has some terrible games and overall he was a very average QB who was better suited to be a backup QB than a starter.

Considering how few QB’s ever play in the NFL, as a starter or a backup, he accomplished a lot more than most. Yet he was what he was and what he was ended up being a decent backup QB for a lot of fairly crappy teams.

Mike White was considered by everyone on this site as a shitty Jets backup, that we would love to face any Sunday a year ago.

He signs with the Dolphins and half the site thinks he can lead the team into contention.

We have to be the most biased, delusional fanbase there is.

Mike White is an upgrade over Sylar, but that's not saying much. Skylar was awful.

If Tua gets hurt again, I'm done with Tua, he can kick rocks and I'm gonna be leading the Brady to Miami narrative HARD!

IF, Tua is hurt again, and proves he is more susceptible to injury than other human beings then we need to tank the season and get another QB in the draft. Mike White and Skylar Thompson arent carrying us.
This was the issue last season, when Tua seemed to be held out of games under the concussion protocol longer than most other players who were concussed. The question, IMO, is not whether Tua is more susceptible to injury, but rather when he does hit his head on the ground and gets concussed, is his concussion far worse than the average player. It's possible that Tua's head can't handle the abuse as well as other players. It's also possible that the League forced Miami to sit Tua longer than medically necessary because he was made the Poster Boy for concussions, and it wouldn't look good if he were "rushed" back on to the field. Unfortunately, unless someone goes public with the info, we as fans will never know the truth.

He kept going from crappy team to crappy team because none of the good team ever thought he was good enough to be a starter for them.

I take nothing away from Fitzpatrick. He was able to have a long career in the NFL and he had some excellent games along the way. Yet he also has some terrible games and overall he was a very average QB who was better suited to be a backup QB than a starter.

Considering how few QB’s ever play in the NFL, as a starter or a backup, he accomplished a lot more than most. Yet he was what he was and what he was ended up being a decent backup QB for a lot of fairly crappy teams.
I get your point and you're correct. In hindsight, I guess my post was based more on emotion than fact. When Fitz was hot, he sure was fun to watch! His confidence and fearlessness would get the offense fired up, and they'd win games that they should've lost. I also liked to see him run with the ball; it was nice to see a Miami QB run OVER a defender!

Skylar is 9 months older than Tua even though he was a rookie last year, has little physical upside, and can’t push the ball down the field.

It’s not his fault. I believe the Dolphins signed Bridgewater and drafted Skylar last season thinking Tua would dink and dunk in the SF offense ala Jimmy G.

Trading for Hill late completely changed the dynamics of the offense and how defenses played it. I don’t think Skylar is a scheme fit anymore and remember wishing last year that we still had a gunslinger backup like a Matt Moore back there to give us a chance at points, so it’s not a surprise to see us pickup White to compete.

Back
Top Bottom