Can the Miami Dolphins make the playoffs in 2020 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can the Miami Dolphins make the playoffs in 2020

I think that we can. but if we lose any of the season including training camps and preseason we wont. We are a VERY young team and need all the time we can to start a roll. If the Virus shortens the season we will not fare as well as the teams that have more players with longer tenure with the coaching staffs and systems al la N.E. and Buffalo.

It's not an easy schedule, but everyone in the AFCE plays the same NFC teams.

Beat up our division, and there is a shot.

I always go into every season saying if we sweep the Jets and the Bills, all we have to do is go 6-6 the rest of the way and we can make the playoffs.

Doesn't sound too hard, does it?

TFK

F/A helped, at least on paper, the defense potentially improve. Can't argue the Jones, Howard combo at CB isnt going to help. Miami finished in the bottom 3 on defense in 2019, so an expectation of improvement, isnt out of the question.

The problem as I see it is in offense. What exactly are they going to be. Lots of change over in coaches and soon to be players. I'm just not sure an improvement on offense is in the cards. It's possible Miami makes the playoffs. But I'm not expecting it. Flores has his work cut out for him on offense.

F/A helped, at least on paper, the defense potentially improve. Can't argue the Jones, Howard combo at CB isnt going to help. Miami finished in the bottom 3 on defense in 2019, so an expectation of improvement, isnt out of the question.

The problem as I see it is in offense. What exactly are they going to be. Lots of change over in coaches and soon to be players. I'm just not sure an improvement on offense is in the cards. It's possible Miami makes the playoffs. But I'm not expecting it. Flores has his work cut out for him on offense.
It's going to hard not to improve our rushing game.

Frankly, I'm surprised we did as well as we did passing, given we were so one dimensional.

I just can't see us starting two rookies at OT this season regardless of who is at QB. I believe we'll bring in a veteran to be a stopgap at OT at some point before the season starts, probably after the post draft cuts.

As for can we make the playoffs? Sure, anything is possible, but it's not likely. While we should certainly be better than we were last year, we still have a pretty tough schedule this year, so while we may be better and play better, it doesn't necessarily mean we will win that many more games.

On the other hand, look how strongly this band of castoffs, misfits and undrafted nobodies played for Flores at the end of last season. With more talent on the team this year, who knows?

TFK
Getting a veteran OT makes sense. As far as the playoffs, may be some tough choices to make. If Miami is say 3-5 halfway do you start developing your rookie quarterback? At what point do you stick with Fitz. If the Dolphins are 5-3 halfway through, I'd have to think Fitz remains as the starter. But is that counterproductive long-term? At some point, I would think the coaching staff wants to see what they have so that they can go into the 2021 offseason with a clear vision.

Looking at the teams they are going to play I can see 8-8 as very doable.

And if they are a .500 type team a couple breaks and you could be 6-10 or 10-6.

I would not bet on them making the Playoffs, but it would not be shocking at all.

...this subject deserves a feasibility study with lots of
pretty charts and graphs along with super hot cheerleaders
mouthing "take me right now big boy" and...

keep dreaming about playoffs indefinitely if we grab
that crippled midget (JK!) and expect "big things!"

Beyond that anything is possible including the emergence
of Rosen or Fitz being top shelf in Chan's system featuring
a productive run game and solid pass pro not to mention

a vastly improved D especially if we grab my #1 man crush
Derrick Brown who promptly dominates ejecting QBs and
RBs like a midnight snack vending machine!

Have a nice day!

:bye:

It's going to hard not to improve our rushing game.

Frankly, I'm surprised we did as well as we did passing, given we were so one dimensional.
That's my hope, Miami improves in the run game. But, even if they do, they may not neccesarily improve in the overall offense. For one, the Kringlemeister blows hot and cold. He was on fire last season. Can he do that again? They took advantage of the jump ball abilities of Parker and Gesicki. Can that happen again? Then there is the potential Rookie LT/RT quadrum Miami may be facing. Can they give the offense, improved play from the Tackle positions over last season? Too many unknown variable to completely feel confident they'll improve enough to make the playoffs.

If we knock the draft out of the park and the new coaches help our players take off I don’t see why not. I Have a better feeling the playoffs will be happening the following year more so after the players have time to gel.

No they will be better in every category
Miami ranked 25 in total offense. 12 passing, dead last rushing.

Last overall defense. 26 pass D, 27 rush D.

I think both offense and defense will be 13-18 range overall, but I doubt we get to 12 passing O again. Mainly because (I hope) we will do a better job rushing to move the chains.

I like the 50/50 balls to Parker, MG and Williams to a point, but it's no way to have a consistent, methodical offense.

If the only goal was to make the playoffs this year then Miami drafting Simmons or Brown at #5 would be the way to go, Swift at #18 and OT at #26 or perhaps McKinney if he is still on the board and OL with picks in the 2nd round.

Since they are in it for the long term hopefully they take Tua at #5.

Get Winston, use picks on other things well and there is a really good chance.

Back
Top Bottom