Can't miss prospect? OT edition | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can't miss prospect? OT edition

To put it in perspective, Sewell could have been the highest rated tackle prospect this century if the PAC 12 played a regular season and he didn’t sit out. Despite that, he is still the best tackle prospect since Jake Long. I understand people are wary about metrics used to grade these guys, so I would suggest you watch his tape. He allowed 0 sacks as a Sophomore and in 9 of the games he didn’t allow a QB hit or pressure. Then consider he is actually a better run blocker than pass blocker.

So this list is using the "modern" scoring used today after 2000. I was just looking at it myself to see that. So I should say since 2000. Now there are also players that may be higher in the last 2 years as this list was as of 2018. But then again we wouldn't know if any of those were busts or not.

You could do this with every position and probably get similar or worse results.
I think that is his point. People’s interest in Sewell is that he is a “sure-fire success,” not that he is an absolute need like a top-ranked receiver. It is a risk either way, so, I think the OP is suggesting we gamble on a serious need as opposed to something that isn’t as sure as everyone professes.

Personally, I have not watched enough film to make an educated statement either way. I have faith in Flores, Grier, and Co. to make the best decisions for this team. It has been a long time since I’ve been able to say that - what a good feeling.

To put it in perspective, Sewell could have been the highest rated tackle prospect this century if the PAC 12 played a regular season and he didn’t sit out. Despite that, he is still the best tackle prospect since Jake Long. I understand people are wary about metrics used to grade these guys, so I would suggest you watch his tape. He allowed 0 sacks as a Sophomore and in 9 of the games he didn’t allow a QB hit or pressure. Then consider he is actually a better run blocker than pass blocker.
You cant predict what he would have done. How many times have we seen players regress. Listen I love Sewell. I really do. However, he isnt a lock. None of these guys are. Which is why you stockpile picks and play the odds

Grier will probably go the safe route that seems to be his mo outside of tuas medical which he had full access to and even his own guy did tbe recheck.

top 5 or 8 or whatever in a trade down I’d project safe. Trade down though much easier said than done.

I think that is his point. People’s interest in Sewell is that he is a “sure-fire success,” not that he is an absolute need like a top-ranked receiver. It is a risk either way, so, I think the OP is suggesting we gamble on a serious need as opposed to something that isn’t as sure as everyone professes.

Personally, I have not watched enough film to make an educated statement either way. I have faith in Flores, Grier, and Co. to make the best decisions for this team. It has been a long time since I’ve been able to say that - what a good feeling.
Good luck finding a coach, QB, or RB that thinks having a dominant OL is not a serious need.

You cant predict what he would have done. How many times have we seen players regress. Listen I love Sewell. I really do. However, he isnt a lock. None of these guys are. Which is why you stockpile picks and play the odds

choosing quantity over quality is how you end up with a bunch of average and non difference makers. Don’t you have enough average to non true difference makers on this team already. Good lord I see plenty of easily replaceable as long as you add guys that buy into your system etc.

How bout something truly elite from the word go. It’s top 5 if you ain’t getting it there where are ya getting it

That’s my preference too, but what if there are no takers on the trade? Then what? It has to be Sewell over Parsons and the WRs.
Oh there are takers. If for some reason no one offers enough, yeah, Sewell I guess we could use him.... ;)

I am huge on Sewell, think he is a world changer, but the capitol that is available to stay in the top 10 even is too good to give up.

These teams even with their pick QB are gonna be sh*t next year. The Bengals got the number one pick and look where they are this year.

Dolphins, 5 pick and are at 18 but snuck a 3 in there. If Grier is actually willing to trade is the question of the off-season. Would love to see opinions on if he would or not.

I don’t think quantity over quality is a great draft philosophy. Passing on Sewell would take a solid offer that only dropped us back a few picks. The Bengals at 5 would make the most sense.

Its the level of the quantity. Would you take 1 top 5 pick or 2 top 10? I'm not saying trade the number 3 for a 2nd round pick here. Im talking a top 10 this year and next.

And to answer....yes. I'd go as far to say most of the consistent winners don't have top 5 picks....hence the consistent winner part

IMO Sewell is probably worthy of the 3rd pick but in terms of value for us? I say No.

After that you can reach for a WR but in terms of value? Again I say no.

The draft has lots of WR talent and I personally don't see any must-have megatron types.

For me the only position that justifies that lofty pick is QB.

If Grier + Flo are really satisfied and confident in Tua, and are 100% sold on him being THE GUY

then we probably don't grab a QB #3. If that's the case then I hope Grier can orchestrate a bountiful

trade down. But I'm not convinced we won't seriously look at QB for a number of basic reasons.

And just to note -- at the presser today Grier affirmed Tua as the "starter" heading into '21

but they did NOT rule out a QB at the top. Grier did however underscore the mantra of competition

including QB. My take is -- we are definitely in the market for another high-quality developmental

talent at QB. Could be R1. Could be R2. But they're not going to wait until you get into the junk...

Is there another quality, mean, nasty, olineman in the draft that could be plan b or c? I get not rated as highly as Sewell but next in line?

I don’t think quantity over quality is a great draft philosophy. Passing on Sewell would take a solid offer that only dropped us back a few picks. The Bengals at 5 would make the most sense.

if you gonna trade out that’s where I think you gonna find it. You don’t want to drop far either.

3 to 5 maybe you get their second rounder. Let atlanta take their guy at 4 if you aren’t taking it at 3 and work from there with pick 5

I don’t care what cincis owner has done prior if they view Sewell as can’t miss and got to have unless they just call your bluff and force you to take your guy at 3 I guarantee you that they have protecting burrow as mission numero uno this offseason. They just might think you aren’t taking Sewell anyways betting on development of Jackson and Hunt at tackle.

now watch this all be moot and the Jets take sewell at 2 anyway lol

then you got to hope someone’s coming for a qb but I still think you don’t want to move far. You got 4 picks in the top 50 already if you can’t do damage with that then it’s on you.

Back
Top Bottom