Can't miss prospect? OT edition | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can't miss prospect? OT edition

IMO Sewell is probably worthy of the 3rd pick but in terms of value for us? I say No.

After that you can reach for a WR but in terms of value? Again I say no.

The draft has lots of WR talent and I personally don't see any must-have megatron types.

For me the only position that justifies that lofty pick is QB.

If Grier + Flo are really satisfied and confident in Tua, and are 100% sold on him being THE GUY

then we probably don't grab a QB #3. If that's the case then I hope Grier can orchestrate a bountiful

trade down. But I'm not convinced we won't seriously look at QB for a number of basic reasons.

And just to note -- at the presser today Grier affirmed Tua as the "starter" heading into '21

but they did NOT rule out a QB at the top. Grier did however underscore the mantra of competition

including QB. My take is -- we are definitely in the market for another high-quality developmental

talent at QB. Could be R1. Could be R2. But they're not going to wait until you get into the junk...
Grier has to let teams think we might take a QB otherwise he loses valuable leverage, I expect they'll fall in love with one of the top 3...wink, wink!

choosing quantity over quality is how you end up with a bunch of average and non difference makers. Don’t you have enough average to non true difference makers on this team already. Good lord I see plenty of easily replaceable as long as you add guys that buy into your system etc.

How bout something truly elite from the word go. It’s top 5 if you ain’t getting it there where are ya getting it
Hoops, would you really turn down 1 of the 3 wr in this draft or parsons (depending on who you like) and let's say Carolina or Detroits 1st round pick next year for Sewell? If so, cool we just disagree on that then

Its the level of the quantity. Would you take 1 top 5 pick or 2 top 10? I'm not saying trade the number 3 for a 2nd round pick here. Im talking a top 10 this year and next.

And to answer....yes. I'd go as far to say most of the consistent winners don't have top 5 picks....hence the consistent winner part

most the consistent winners have established top shelf QBs

Grier has to let teams think we might take a QB otherwise he loses valuable leverage, I expect they'll fall in love with one of the top 3...wink, wink!
I agree. Chris seems to do a good job hiding intent. And it's a guarantee there will be a "franchise"
level QB prospect on the board when we pick. And there are certainly a number of teams that will
be interested. The challenge is getting ample value return when we also clearly have a need for
more QB talent (at least in the developmental sense).

Always easy to say trade down -- but not so easy to get 'er done in a max value way.

All I know is we got super lucky getting this pick and it's a pure bonus.

Couldn't agree more. If Tua isn't the guy then I am all for trading everything every year, over and over until we get a top QB. Without the QB any pick is moot. No team has ever had a lineman or WR or Kicker change a franchise haha

I was just listening to the Rich Eisen show and Daniel Jeremiah said Sewell is his second OT behind the Northwestern OT Rashawn Slater.

Drafting is always a crapshoot. What a lot of people don’t consider is these GMs/coaches/FO people are also drafting for their jobs. Most people around the league agree that Sewell is as close to a guarantee as you can get in this draft. So if you’re calling the shots and you can’t trade out of 3 do you go the safe route (Sewell) or swing for the fences at 3 with Chase Smith or Parsons? Because even if Sewell were to bust and I don’t think he will people can look back and say wow I was so sure about him it was still the right pick. But if you go WR or LB at 3 and it doesn’t work somebody in that FO is losing their job.

Hoops, would you really turn down 1 of the 3 wr in this draft or parsons (depending on who you like) and let's say Carolina or Detroits 1st round pick next year for Sewell? If so, cool we just disagree on that then

i guess you are saying those two teams are coming for QBs cause otherwise they ain’t coming and paying that kinda price.

am I getting Marvin Harrison, or anquan boldin or Santana moss in return. All comps that I can see for those 3 WRs. Chase might be a faster version I suppose of boldin which adds value no doubt. Of the 3 I will take Harrison.

as for the Sewell thing I haven’t watched much of him I asked for the nfl comp being that I was hearing some traits that reminded me of jake Matthews from a strength and length aspect of things. But I didn’t hear anything back.

Drafting is always a crapshoot. What a lot of people don’t consider is these GMs/coaches/FO people are also drafting for their jobs. Most people around the league agree that Sewell is as close to a guarantee as you can get in this draft. So if you’re calling the shots and you can’t trade out of 3 do you go the safe route (Sewell) or swing for the fences at 3 with Chase Smith or Parsons? Because even if Sewell were to bust and I don’t think he will people can look back and say wow I was so sure about him it was still the right pick. But if you go WR or LB at 3 and it doesn’t work somebody in that FO is losing their job.
Agreed, which is why I said I was a fan of trading for a future first but also said if I was stuck at 3 I'd take Sewell. The bigger point I was trying to make is there is no such thing as a lock no matter what pick it is

I was just listening to the Rich Eisen show and Daniel Jeremiah said Sewell is his second OT behind the Northwestern OT Rashawn Slater.

that kids got better feet and is a better mover in space than your current right tackle. I know that. I’m not sure cinci wants a right tackle I’m sure they’d rather have a left. But they gonna make protecting burrow priority numero uno this offseason

Couldn't agree more. If Tua isn't the guy then I am all for trading everything every year, over and over until we get a top QB. Without the QB any pick is moot. No team has ever had a lineman or WR or Kicker change a franchise haha

well let’s put a system together that fits him first and doesn’t cater to a 37 year old career journeyman

Agreed, which is why I said I was a fan of trading for a future first but also said if I was stuck at 3 I'd take Sewell. The bigger point I was trying to make is there is no such thing as a lock no matter what pick it is
You’re spot on my dude. But like I said in another thread we have 3 prime spots for a trade down Detroit at 7 Carolina at 8 and Denver at 9 could all look to go QB. However any convo that doesn’t include their 2022#1 is a non starter for me.

This is basic NFL 101 fact. Going back to Buffalo we were severely outclassed at the QB position.

Now some want to project Tua being competitive with Allen in a year or 2. For the sake of the

debate I'll say that's possible. But what seems very obvious is the level of athlete you need

to have @QB in the NFL. I think it would be good to accommodate that spec and get some

kid in the program that meets that requirement. I think not doing that would be borderline

negligent. Bottom line there's nothing wrong with having some abundance at QB.

And banking on Fitzmagic again just ain't smart on a number of levels...

Back
Top Bottom