Chad Henne's throwing mechanics | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chad Henne's throwing mechanics

Actually I think the OP does make a valid point about mechanics - I had not seen much of Henne until the SD game but certainly saw it there. Time will tell - interesting that the Dolphins made Beck change his action (which messed up his confidence) and maybe they just decided to leave Henne alone and see what happens.

I hope that reference wasn't aimed at me. In fact I have said that how can you blame Henning when all he has is a run game to work with.

My disdain for Henne has nothing to do with his second half performance against the Chargers (although my avatar suggests otherwise) it's that he doesn't possess the proper tools to become a NFL QB. Yes yes Henne has a strong arm but for some reason people just think that it automatically translates into stretching the defense and having a downfield passing game. I don't doubt that this will happen at times but then what do we do when we reach the redzone and he has to make proper reads and must get the ball out quickly before the DB reacts. The same can be said for Phillip Rivers. Rivers had one good year and after that he has struggled to find the endzone and throw for over 20 TD's. Rivers has a big arm but just can't finish and he is not a winner or a leader. Innacuracy and inconsitency is all were gonna get from Henne. It's just a shame because were does that leave us in the draft next year. Do we actually draft ANOTHER QB. Damn I hope not. we have so many other needs that must be addressed besides spending yet another pick on a hopeful franchise QB.

Yes we realize your disdain has nothing to do with the 2nd half of the Chargers or anything other than your "self proclaimed evaluation" of his mechanics. I'm sure a few people on our staff have evaluated him as well and I know for a fact they are more qualified. You provided the fact that you know nothing about evaluating a qb with your "expert" evaluation of Rivers.

Here is Mike Mayocks unbiased ranking of the top 5 qb's out of the 08 draft

Mayock's top 5 QBs:

1. Matt Ryan Boston College
2. Chad Henne Michigan
3. Brian Brohm Louisville
4. Joe Flacco Delaware
5. Andre Woodson Kentucky

Do you really think Mayock puts him on the list if his throwing mechanics are as broken as your argument against Henne?

We get it you don't like Henne and hope he fails. The why part is not really that important since you are basing your opinion for not liking him, on your opinion of him being a poor nfl qb, based on your opinion of his throwing mechanics.

Here is Mike Mayocks unbiased ranking of the top 5 qb's out of the 08 draft

Mayock's top 5 QBs:

1. Matt Ryan Boston College
2. Chad Henne Michigan
3. Brian Brohm Louisville
4. Joe Flacco Delaware
5. Andre Woodson Kentucky

Do you really think Mayock puts him on the list if his throwing mechanics are as broken as your argument against Henne?

Well that list just clarifies everything now doesn't it. :rolleyes2:

So Brohm is a better QB than Flacco, eh. How's that one working out with Brohm on the Packer's practice squad. And where's Woodson at this point? Here' I'll tell you - waived from the Giants practice squad and most recently signed to the Redskins Practice squad. So far Mayock is 2-2 with Henne still up in the air. So if going by the law of averages, statistically that would put Henne somewhere in the middle of being a capable starting QB and being a practice squad player. Basically a strong armed inconsistent QB.

My evaluation of Rivers was simply that he has trouble in the redzone and he's not a team leader. I think thats a pretty fair assessment.

My evaluation of Rivers was simply that he has trouble in the redzone and he's not a team leader. I think thats a pretty fair assessment.

And your evaluation of Henne is based on what???? Your opinion. And I think that is a pretty unfair assessment.

ChadHenne-1.jpg

aka the Funky Chicken Dance.

I just do not get how you could have such a horrible throwing motion. First Henne leaves the ball out their in the wind for any defensive player to easily knock loose. Second despite Henne's arm strength, his passes take way to long to leave his hand after he makes a decision to throw. Forget the notion that he may or may not stare down receivers, his awkward release gives DB's enough time to break on the ball alone. These are concerns that are not fixed by practicing with the first team, "gelling" with your WR's, and or gaining game experience on the field. This is how he throws and if it hasn't ben fixed by now then this is what we'll get: an inaccurate and inconsistent QB.

Please show me a single QB that when in the first stage before the forward throwing motion that the ball is protected from a defender knocking it lose. What a pathetic comment, no QB can protect the ball when they reach back, this just shows how much you hate Henne and will pick any ignorant thing you can say.

Please show me a single QB that when in the first stage before the forward throwing motion that the ball is protected from a defender knocking it lose. What a pathetic comment, no QB can protect the ball when they reach back, this just shows how much you hate Henne and will pick any ignorant thing you can say.

This is just the first one i found but check out this corny video. You will see how the QB doesn't drop his elbow out like an L-shaped chicken wing wasting time & motion and throws over the top of his shoulder/elbow. Those are proper throwing mechanics.

If you want or need more evidence of NFL QB's i'll gladly take the time to post them and show you.

*so much for it being a pathetic and ignorant assessment *

This is just the first one i found but check out this corny video. You will see how the QB doesn't drop his elbow out like an l-shaped chicken wing and throws over the top of his shoulder/elbow. Those are proper throwing mechanics.

Your link doesn't work for me, the point is when the QB reaches back no matter at what angle the ball is out there to be taken or knocked away. You can cry he has a slow release which will cqause more fumbles or whatever you want. No QB has a ball protected no matter the angle when reaching back.

Your link doesn't work for me, the point is when the QB reaches back no matter at what angle the ball is out there to be taken or knocked away. You can cry he has a slow release which will cqause more fumbles or whatever you want. No QB has a ball protected no matter the angle when reaching back.

I can't disagree there because eventually every QB will draw the ball back with one arm leaving him susceptible to hits or strips but videos and footage prove that Henne's drawback is long, awkward and unnecessary and his arm pertrudes from his body at a 90 degree angle in an L-shape.

* does the video link not actually work for you or are you just not buying the argument*

I can't disagree there because eventually every QB will draw the ball back with one arm leaving him susceptible to hits or strips but videos and footage prove that Henne's drawback is long, awkward and unnecessary and his arm pertrudes from his body at a 90 degree angle in an L-shape.

* does the video link not actually work for you or are you just not buying the argument*
It doesn't work.

It's not a fact. It's your opinion and I doubt yu are fully qualified to analyze a pro quarterback's mechanics.

Facts from the NFL combine:

Lacks upper-body tone and does not have the ideal height you look for in a quarterback...Gets very animated making audible calls and pre-snap changes, but has just adequate judgment...Competitive, but tries to carry too much of the load and lacks the creativity to improvise...Needs to throw the ball away more, as he seems bent on forcing the ball in order to complete the play and it has resulted in several costly miscues (37 interceptions, 159 passes deflected, 20 fumbles)...Has good arm strength, but lacks a quick and explosive release...Quick to set up, but holds the ball too long and will pat it before unleashing it, lacking ideal trajectory, which has resulted in a high amount of passes getting defended on him (168-of-1,113 passes were either picked off or batted away by the opposition)...His arm strength is sometimes negated, as he takes too long to deliver the ball on deep outs...Will also underthrow when passing in the short-to-intermediate areas (better when he takes a three-step drop to throw, as he gets the ball out quicker and with better touch than when he pats the ball)...Very inconsistent on the deep-out, as he can get rattled by pressure...By holding the ball too long, he is susceptible to the costly sacks (sacked 89 times for losses of 588 yards)...Has good field smarts, making his throws into traffic befuddling...Has the strength to fire into the deep secondary, but his receivers often have to break off their routes, as he doesn't lead them well or get the ball to the outside shoulder and away from the defender...Will step up to avoid the rush, but will tuck the ball and run too early, leaving the ball exposed, resulting in a high amount of fumbles...Needs to improve his timing, especially on deep throws, as he does not hit his deep targets in stride that much (will also rush some of his throws)...Tends to get tunnel-vision and stay on his primary target too long. Must do a better job of reading route progressions and locating other targets...Needs to square his shoulders better when trying to throw downfield on the move, as he will look awkward trying to maintain balance on the run.

Compares To: JOEY HARRINGTON-Atlanta...Like Harrington, he is an erratic performer, who can look sensational one minute, but tries to do too much and gets caught with the ball in his hands. Any general manager daring to consider him a first-round target will soon see himself on the unemployment line. Henne has too many of Harrington's deficiencies to be considered a franchise quarterback.

Looks like the inaccurate and inconsistent QB I've been describing. But hey, it's just my opinion (that coincides with an NFL scouting report).

The FACT that he has horrible throwing mechanics.

I assume the picture you posted must be the fact you are referring to since I have seen no other reference to show the facts of Henne's poor mechanics. Here are a few more facts.

this is the photo you posted when referring to his poor mechanics
ChadHenne-1.jpg

Here is Peyton Manning
clear.gif

The fact that you show videos of a 13 year old being taught how to throw the ball has nothing to do with Henne. Show me a video of Henne and his bad mechanics then I would say you have some facts. Until then I think it is a fact that Henne is not to far from the same mechanics as Peyton Manning as shown by the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom