Chad Henne's throwing mechanics | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chad Henne's throwing mechanics

Facts from the NFL combine:

Lacks upper-body tone and does not have the ideal height you look for in a quarterback...Gets very animated making audible calls and pre-snap changes, but has just adequate judgment...Competitive, but tries to carry too much of the load and lacks the creativity to improvise...Needs to throw the ball away more, as he seems bent on forcing the ball in order to complete the play and it has resulted in several costly miscues (37 interceptions, 159 passes deflected, 20 fumbles)...Has good arm strength, but lacks a quick and explosive release...Quick to set up, but holds the ball too long and will pat it before unleashing it, lacking ideal trajectory, which has resulted in a high amount of passes getting defended on him (168-of-1,113 passes were either picked off or batted away by the opposition)...His arm strength is sometimes negated, as he takes too long to deliver the ball on deep outs...Will also underthrow when passing in the short-to-intermediate areas (better when he takes a three-step drop to throw, as he gets the ball out quicker and with better touch than when he pats the ball)...Very inconsistent on the deep-out, as he can get rattled by pressure...By holding the ball too long, he is susceptible to the costly sacks (sacked 89 times for losses of 588 yards)...Has good field smarts, making his throws into traffic befuddling...Has the strength to fire into the deep secondary, but his receivers often have to break off their routes, as he doesn't lead them well or get the ball to the outside shoulder and away from the defender...Will step up to avoid the rush, but will tuck the ball and run too early, leaving the ball exposed, resulting in a high amount of fumbles...Needs to improve his timing, especially on deep throws, as he does not hit his deep targets in stride that much (will also rush some of his throws)...Tends to get tunnel-vision and stay on his primary target too long. Must do a better job of reading route progressions and locating other targets...Needs to square his shoulders better when trying to throw downfield on the move, as he will look awkward trying to maintain balance on the run.

Compares To: JOEY HARRINGTON-Atlanta...Like Harrington, he is an erratic performer, who can look sensational one minute, but tries to do too much and gets caught with the ball in his hands. Any general manager daring to consider him a first-round target will soon see himself on the unemployment line. Henne has too many of Harrington's deficiencies to be considered a franchise quarterback.

Looks like the inaccurate and inconsistent QB I've been describing. But hey, it's just my opinion (that coincides with an NFL scouting report).

You kinda skipped part of that report didn't you????????
You did not include a link and you only posted the negative comments about him. Seems like you are hiding the facts that directly contradict your argument. Here is a small sample of the part of that report that you "accidentally":oops: left out.........

Analysis Positives: Has a thick lower-body frame, with good muscle tone in his thighs and calves...Generally durable athlete, who started 39 consecutive games before he was sidelined by injury...Has decent quickness moving around in the backfield, showing the balance and slide to step up and away from pressure but is not a threat as a runner...Ready to throw at the end of his pass drop. He might drift some in the pocket, but he shows good upper-body mechanics.
Here is the link to the entire report..... not just the parts I want you to see.

How bout the NFL combine scouting report in post #28.
I used your own source of facts to directly contradict your reason for your disdain of Henne. According to your fact source he has good mechanics. Let me guess...... you still don't like him??????

Of course Im going to post what supports my argument. :wink: but even in the "positives' it continues to say how Henne has a slow release and is inconsistent.

Notes from his positive report:

his release is not the fastest (will be late sometimes)... When throwing in the short area, he shows a nice, tight circle on his attempts but lacks touch when he throws deliberately or high...Has functional skills and can throw a decent fade downfield, but must do it with better consistency...Not quick to flush and hangs tough under the pass rush, but must work on getting the ball on time...Throws impressive fades, but will miss the wide-open streak and short throws... he will force it when pressured at times

Hennes "slow" release to a wide open deep Ginn will be our first TD scored on sunday. mark it down. Ginn is too quick and Henne's arm is too big for the Bills secondary.

Looking forward to seeing our future star QB/WR combo on Sunday.

I can not believe all the comments about this guy. Anyone who has played this game knows it all changes when coached and coached early. After the interception did you really watch him and.. what rookie QB has not made that interception. Lets get real here the guy is being coached for the NFL and yes I am sure there was college issue that he brought to the NFL, but for two years working with a QB coach and Chad. Give all this negativity up. What I am concerned about with every QB is do they have the competitive edge to come back after mistakes and correct these mistakes. Look around the league mechanics as your concern is can be changed. Being a true winner and have the desire to win and pick your self up after getting your $#@@ kicked... if he has that then he will be special. If he does not have that then he will be gone!

How was Manning's first year and how was his mechanics his first year.... You know that guy changed... Let this rest and understand it is about what he has inside the want to win and be the best. That is what you need to watch in his first year.. DOES HE HAVE THAT!!!

I am not a Henne fan nor am I a hater. To early to call.

ChadHenne-1.jpg

aka the Funky Chicken Dance.

I just do not get how you could have such a horrible throwing motion. First Henne leaves the ball out their in the wind for any defensive player to easily knock loose. Second despite Henne's arm strength, his passes take way to long to leave his hand after he makes a decision to throw. Forget the notion that he may or may not stare down receivers, his awkward release gives DB's enough time to break on the ball alone. These are concerns that are not fixed by practicing with the first team, "gelling" with your WR's, and or gaining game experience on the field. This is how he throws and if it hasn't ben fixed by now then this is what we'll get: an inaccurate and inconsistent QB.

You still standing by this statement as well?

ChadHenne-1.jpg

aka the Funky Chicken Dance.

I just do not get how you could have such a horrible throwing motion. First Henne leaves the ball out their in the wind for any defensive player to easily knock loose. Second despite Henne's arm strength, his passes take way to long to leave his hand after he makes a decision to throw. Forget the notion that he may or may not stare down receivers, his awkward release gives DB's enough time to break on the ball alone. These are concerns that are not fixed by practicing with the first team, "gelling" with your WR's, and or gaining game experience on the field. This is how he throws and if it hasn't ben fixed by now then this is what we'll get: an inaccurate and inconsistent QB.

Mr Marino is that you???

In this case, from the rear view mirror, things are actually smaller than they appear!

You know I remember reading this thread earlier in the season. And watching him in the preseason the analysis was pretty much spot on. But after re-watching some of his throws from the past couple games I think Henne has made some adjustments. Which is very good for the Dolphins and pretty scary for the rest of the NFL!

You know I remember reading this thread earlier in the season. And watching him in the preseason the analysis was pretty much spot on. But after re-watching some of his throws from the past couple games I think Henne has made some adjustments. Which is very good for Dolphins and pretty scary for the rest of the NFL!

Yeh, I mean he should have the opportunity to make adjustments too. I know people get hung up on mechanics for a QB, but they can be changed at least slightly and he can improve on his own. If you go back and get scouting reports on guys like Tom Brady, Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco...I bet you see alot of "negatives" too. No QB is perfect, you just have to see if they can take it to the next level. So far, I like what I see from Henne and it all starts with the big time arm.

BTW, Kerry Collins has a MAJOR hitch in his release. As a Penn State fan, I remember everyone making a big deal about it in college and said he would need to change that if he wanted to be successful in the pros. Well, 15 years later and Kerry Collins has had a successful NFL career and is still playing. So don't always go by what the "experts" say or think they know. Sometimes in sports you have to forget about size, speed, technique, style...and just let the player play. It happens in all sports. Guys who are undersized and have awkward throwing motions, batting stances, running styles turn out just fine.

Yeh, I mean he should have the opportunity to make adjustments too. I know people get hung up on mechanics for a QB, but they can be changed at least slightly and he can improve on his own. If you go back and get scouting reports on guys like Tom Brady, Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco...I bet you see alot of "negatives" too. No QB is perfect, you just have to see if they can take it to the next level. So far, I like what I see from Henne and it all starts with the big time arm.

Drew Brees is the poster child of why good mechanics are essential. It is not possible to be too caught up in the mechanics.

Back
Top Bottom