Chan Gailey New OC? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chan Gailey New OC?

Hey gang, it may not be a sexy hire but the guy knows football inside and out. That’s a lot more than what we got when we hired Joe Philbin and a TON more than when we hired Adam Gase. Hey, even the late Tony Sparano (RIP coach) claim to fame was having a losing HC record in college w New Haven State. Gailey knows the game. He’ll be fine. We’ll be fine. Don’t let this get you down. We need a QB - that has a funny way of making OCs look good. When you don’t have a QB, it has a funny way of making OCs look bad. Any OC who got to a SB w Neil O’Donnell as his QB is probably > average in terms of knowing how to manufacture offense.
This mans offense took us to the playoffs twice. While he didnt fare well as a HC, he did give us two 11-5 seasons here. Still wondering about this choice, but it could be a good thing.

He did okay because he had a good offensive line and Ricky Williams running the ball. The last I checked, he has neither of those things with this team and neither did O’Shea.
He got to a SB w Neil O’Donnell as QB. He didn’t have Ricky here. He had Jay Fiedler. I’m not in love w the hire but he’s a proven football guy. It comes down to QB anyway.

The difference is that Carroll is a great HC in the NFL and Gailey has never been a great HC at any level. While he has been nothing but a mediocre OC throughout his entire NFL career.

That's far from accurate. While OC at Pitt, they were really good, and they won a Super Bowl. Since 1996, Chan Gailey was offensive coordinator for various teams over a 7 year span, and only had one losing record. His two years with Miami, they were 11-5 and went to the playoffs both of those years. Mediocre HC, sure, but not as an OC.

Hey gang, it may not be a sexy hire but the guy knows football inside and out. That’s a lot more than what we got when we hired Joe Philbin and a TON more than when we hired Adam Gase. Hey, even the late Tony Sparano (RIP coach) claim to fame was having a losing HC record in college w New Haven State. Gailey knows the game. He’ll be fine. We’ll be fine. Don’t let this get you down. We need a QB - that has a funny way of making OCs look good. When you don’t have a QB, it has a funny way of making OCs look bad. Any OC who got to a SB w Neil O’Donnell as his QB is probably > average in terms of knowing how to manufacture offense.

I also think having someone with NFL head coaching experience on staff will be good for the development of Flores as head coach. I was excited about having Caldwell at his side this year and disappointed that didn't end up happening. Having one, or both, of Gailey and Caldwell on staff next year should be a positive thing for Flores.

Maybe their going old school. They want to be a physical team that has a run first, play action mentality. That's fine with me but I'm very unexcited by this hire. I think we may be hedging our bet on Tua. We make sure we're covered until the hip recovers.

Ricky wasnt here yet at that time, he was on the saints roster. Ricky came in 2002
[/Q
My error, I thought Gailey was the OC when Ricky was on the team but you are correct. He left the Dolphins before Ricky joined the team. Yet this still doesn’t change my my mind in regards to not being happy with this hire.

It’s entirely possible O’Shea found himself on an island with the rest of the coaching staff. But he was Flores’s handpicked choice for the position a year ago, so you'd think the two of them would have been on the same page. I must admit it’s a bit of a surprise to see him jettisoned so quickly, particularly after how his unit performed down the stretch.

The Gailey hire is intriguing given the Fitz connection. I think this clearly indicates we’re planning on rolling with him again next year as starter, which I’m fine with (assuming we’ve got a guy like Tua being groomed).

I didn’t like the Flores hire. I doubted him hard early in the season, thinking he was going to be a disaster. So far, he’s proven me wrong. He’s earned some time from this fanbase. I believe he’s got a vision for where he wants to take this team. The question now is: What does the Gailey hiring tell us about Flores’s vision?

I’d also be curious: out of the top quarterbacks in this draft class, do any of them operate in a spread offense similar to what Gailey has been known to run?

Good point on the spread offense potentially tipping a hat to where they may draft. Definitely speaks to our positional strength at WR. Gailey uses the fear of multiple receiver sets to open up the run game.

Regarding the fit with Flores, I remember Flores erring on the side of established coaches given his own inexperience when constructing this staff. He definitely likes to lean on guys who have been doing what they do for years. Another coach learning on the job may have not sat well with him, especially given the failures in the run game. -but honestly I’m guessing at this point. Can’t wait to get more details on what happened here.

The difference is that Carroll is a great HC in the NFL and Gailey has never been a great HC at any level. While he has been nothing but a mediocre OC throughout his entire NFL career.

sounds like he was better than mediocre both here and in Pitt

I’m not going to pretend to know enough about these folks or schemes to blast the hire. I’d alway rather go young and innovative over old and retired though.

we were a mediocre offensive team this year with 5 wins so let’s not act like Flores is tearing anything down.

just get the QB right.

You could look at this another way and see that they are all in on Tua and him sitting for a year. Schuplinski and Fitz will work with Tua daily under Gailey's offence. Then you role with a Schuplinski (OC) and Tua tandem in 2021.

This mans offense took us to the playoffs twice. While he didnt fare well as a HC, he did give us two 11-5 seasons here. Still wondering about this choice, but it could be a good thing.
Was our defense giving up 30 burgers almost every game back then?

Back
Top Bottom