Charle Clay #89 in top 100 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charle Clay #89 in top 100

He's not, but imo he's a Hernandez type and he'll command a contract relatively equivalent to the one Aaron Hernandez signed back in 2012, which was five years for $40 million with $12.5 million guaranteed. Clay isn't the same caliber of player as Hernandez and has only done it for one year but I'd expect this to be the basic type of money he'll look for. Maybe we'll have to pay a bit extra given Clay isn't a murderer.

Probably more guaranteed since he's clean off the field...looks to me like the pats had some reservations with that contract with Hernandez given that low for the years and overall money guaranteed figure...

Clays size may play against him some though come this next contract...

He's not, but imo he's a Hernandez type and he'll command a contract relatively equivalent to the one Aaron Hernandez signed back in 2012, which was five years for $40 million with $12.5 million guaranteed. Clay isn't the same caliber of player as Hernandez and has only done it for one year but I'd expect this to be the basic type of money he'll look for. Maybe we'll have to pay a bit extra given Clay isn't a murderer.

As far as we know.

Probably more guaranteed since he's clean off the field...looks to me like the pats had some reservations with that contract with Hernandez given that low for the years and overall money guaranteed figure...

Clays size may play against him some though come this next contract...

Maybe, though he's bigger than people think. Clay is 6027, 245 according to nfldraftscout. That's almost exactly Hernandez's height and weight. Clay's build though isn't standard issue TE, which was part of the problem for him coming out. Tulsa had him as a single back RB, a FB and a TE. It seems pretty clear now that TE is his best destiny with other things thrown in. Sort of a superior version of James Casey in the way he's used, though I think he's pretty much every bit as good as Owen Daniels (6033, 245) out of that same offense, hopefully with more durability.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

As far as we know.

:lol: This is true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clay only has one good season under his belt whereas Hernendez was good right out of the gate, that should have a pretty big effect from a risk standpoint for both sides.

Clay only has one good season under his belt whereas Hernendez was good right out of the gate, that should have a pretty big effect from a risk standpoint for both sides.

Agreed. That's why we didn't extend him this offseason.

Ahh I like the Owen Daniels take...but with more versatility...definitely a better player than James Casey but similarly used...Daniels was damn good til injuries robbed him...I think that heavy misdirection offense of Houston's inflates the tight end production somewhat but clays every bit as valuable to us as Daniels was to Houston in his prime I'd say...

Imagine if we did have a run game how much more productive clay could be in a ypc aspect...less targets sure but higher chunk yardage numbers

Players appreciate players with rare ability. Clay qualifies. That's why he's on the list. Not many tight ends or H backs could have made the touchdown escape against Pittsburgh or the first down escape against New England.

On this site too often the lunch pail types are appreciated. We certainly aim the vast majority of our picks at that type.

It accomplishes nothing in terms of the won/loss record and you won't see those guys on the list.

I did name Clay as our most underrated player last offseason. It was a simple criteria: He was touted entering his second season. Didn't work out. Instead of souring on him and looking elsewhere, understand that the initial handicapping was sensible and probably correct, and would simply pan out beginning one year later.

BTW, I think Sturgis is currently our most underrated player. Some of the same logic. Not many kickers are drafted that high. Many fans here were ecstatic about it and insisted that Sturgis would make Carpenter look like a scattergun clod. Didn't happen. In fact, some of the same fans who loved the pick wanted to get rid of him, if not bring in competition. Wrong way to think, IMO. There were enough positive glimpses and he's got excellent range. I think he'll bloom into a top kicker, starting this season or one year later, if we're appropriately patient.

Awsi....:rolleyes2:

Bashes atypical fantasy picks such as lineman (sorry you can't place any bets on trench/lunch pail players) and then continues on to heap praise for a kicker. :bobdole:

Its nice, but the list is such BS. Wasn't Jimy Graham not even ranked last yr? lol

I think Sturgis was probably hurt most of last season too. He certainly could play a big role in the "transformation" this season.

Sturgis was a rookie, did some really good things and some really bad things he played like a rookie kicker.

He will improve and should end up being really good

So was Tony Gonzalez snubbed from the list or is he not eligible like I thought?

Also, Clay getting in over Julius Thomas and Jordan Cameron is pretty big BS....those two probably should've taken Clay and Witten's spots.

Back
Top Bottom