Chase Young with 1st pick | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chase Young with 1st pick

Chase Young is a little different type of player than Nick Bosa. He doesn't have Nick's 1st step or bend - you can clearly see Nick is an entire yard more in the backfield off the snap when they were on the field together.

However, where Young counters is with his 2nd and 3rd steps to close. He uses his hands to disengage and close faster than Nick.

Hoops has tried to get this point across several times and he's absolutely correct. Young doesn't have Nick's 1st step and ability to bend and flatten. He's more of an eyes up rusher that sees what's going on and uses his hands and 2nd/3rd steps to close - similar to a Chandler Jones. Maybe John Abraham is another good comparison.

Double digit sack potential is there, but will be maximized best if he's able to play on a good defensive line. I have no idea why teams try to block him a few snaps with a TE. You see it nearly every game and it's just not even close. Which it shouldn't be for any dominant DE.

His style is far more similar to Joey Bosa than Nick.

I still see some issues with Chase Young.

You don't see him splitting double teams. He's got that wide drift around the corner. Some of his best plays, the ones that are supposed to really grab you, seem like they came down to snap timing. I went down that road with Bjoern Werner and I'm reluctant to do it again. Or, like you point out, there's a tight end trying to block him. To his credit, he beats those tight ends (except for Josiah Deguara). But still, they're tight ends.

And then of course he's...well, he's not terrible against the run...but I'm not writing a white paper about it, either.

I don't know much about Burrow, but drafting a QB with one season of elite production scares me.
True. My feeling is there's a drop off after Tua, but maybe Miami likes several quarterbacks from this draft.

I think all of them have strengths and weaknesses. For Burrow it's definitely the one year thing.

Closing burst and change of direction look significantly better than Bjoern Werner. I think he'll test better in a few key categories than Werner did.

No doubt about that. The point is the snap timing was an overrating element that interfered with the ability to judge the player on his merits. And if I see it again, I'm immediately wary. Yes this is a player with better athleticism than Werner, who busted his way out of the NFL and all the way back to Germany for all I know. That may not be Chase Young's destiny, but if he ends up anything short of being the next great defensive end, all this talk about taking Chase Young instead of trying to get a franchise quarterback onto a team that has none...will end up seeming extremely silly.

I agree, I believe Chase Young is a top 10 talent in this draft. But you're going to catch hell getting me to pass up quarterback or Andrew Thomas for him if I have a top 3 pick.

He's not quite Nick Bosa, who I would've taken over the quarterbacks last year.

I agree, I believe Chase Young is a top 10 talent in this draft. But you're going to catch hell getting me to pass up quarterback or Andrew Thomas for him if I have a top 3 pick.

He's not quite Nick Bosa, who I would've taken over the quarterbacks last year.

We had scouts telling us for 4 years that Nick Bosa was going to be the next Jason Taylor. All the way back to when he was in high school. And they said the same, they'd move heaven and earth to get him.

This stuff with Chase Young being "the best player in the draft," has just all the sudden come up, and it seems like one of those things where someone said and then others just started repeating it, and now it's a thing.

He is as close to a cant miss prospect as you can get. He looks like he’s better than the Bosas. He will be a monster DE/OLB in the nfl.

That offense is 6th in total offense (yards per game). Them scoring points isnt just because the defense is setting them up in plus field position every drive.

Yeah but bosa has like a 30 percent of snaps played pressure rate. Something absurd considering he plays every snap.

He’s the driver of that 9ers d resurgence just as much as vita vea is carrying that league leading bucs run d.

Closing burst and change of direction look significantly better than Bjoern Werner. I think he'll test better in a few key categories than Werner did.

Yep. Better athlete. Only thing he might want to avoid test wise is some hip fluidity stuff but I don’t see it in tbe cod I see it in tbe flatten. There’s a bit of a straight line to his rush game.

He can win outside and inside but he’s gonna run by the qb at times and fail to finish.

He’s got a stride that shows up on that 2nd and 3rd step in a good way.

Last edited:
People aren’t talking about Andrew Thomas enough. That’s as top 3 worthy as any non qb.

What’s the take on the houston tackle? I’ve seen him mocked top 10 lately. Never seen him.

People aren’t talking about Andrew Thomas enough. That’s as top 3 worthy as any non qb.

What’s the take on the houston tackle? I’ve seen him mocked top 10 lately. Never seen him.

I don't know if he's a top 10 pick - but has exceptional foot speed, quickness and balance. Might have the quickest feet and acceleration of any OT I've looked at. Seriously, pay attention to his feet if you ever look at him. You'll like him. Natural knee bender with excellent balance and good hand placement.

Houston likes to pull him a lot because he's so quick getting into his pull step and has such great acceleration. Extremely accurate at hitting smaller moving targets at the second level - one of the best I've seen at that also.

Likes to get on his guy and ride him to the ground coming around the edge if he tries to get under him. Looks like a heck of a player to be honest.

Only thing is he might be a little susceptible to a bull rush if a guy has enough power until he develops a power step to absorb it. I don't know if he has one or not, they haven't played anybody with a guy powerful enough to find out.

That offense is 6th in total offense (yards per game). Them scoring points isnt just because the defense is setting them up in plus field position every drive.

Where did I say “ just because“? I never asserted that there was only one reason for anything. I‘m arguing that of all the different reasons, the 49ers defense and specifically Nick Bosa are the biggest of the reasons.

As I said, the 49ers were 4-12 last season. Their defense surrendered nearly 28 points per game.

The biggest additions to their team this season were a healthy Jimmy G and rookie Nick Bosa.

Jimmy G hasn’t been especially great to this point. 9 TD’s to 7 INT’s. While Bosa has led a defensive resurgence. They aren’t surrendering near 28 points again this season, are they?

Bosa’s impact on defense is easily noticeable. I live in 49ers country and all my Niners fan friends are in awe of him. He‘s been that good.

Now they aren’t ragging on Arik Armstead anymore!

Ensure that Burrow or Herbert is there at 10-14 and I'm all in with Young as our first pick.

Back
Top Bottom