Chop | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chop

I didn't say Chubb was a disrupter per sae, I said Phillips was. Chubb is a quintessential DE in the fact that he demands double teams and can pressure. There is a need from one side or the other for both of those types. Your bruiser and your finesse. I love both our DEs and hope they come back in full form. That said, you can't assure that and you definitely can't bet on it, nor should we. But you absolutely do not place a 1st on it. We.have talent in buckets at DE, is it a gamble, perhaps, but we have so many other positions that aren't even gambles, they are holes.

I love Jalaen Phillips but the Achilles is a serious injury for a guy like that who relies on his burst. It’s naive to think he’ll be the same guy in 2024. I don’t share your opinion of Chubb in the least bit though. He definitely doesn’t command double teams. Most of the plays he made this year were against really bad players or on plays that came from someone else’s initial pressure. He relies on stunts to get to the QB. Even Van Ginkel was better off the edge than Chubb, when it came to beating OTs.

Shaq Barrett is short term insurance.

This is the second most important position in football and the biggest weakness of our team down the stretch last year.

This kid can rush the passer from inside or outside. He’ll be relied upon heavily right away.

If you didn't know who Chop was before the draft, I have no pitty for you. And shame on you for looking at mock drafts and falling in love with a Center prospect at 21, instead of researching who would be good for this team.

He was a top prospect. You can find Oline and WRs in the later rounds. His pass rushing skills are only found in round 1. Chop was the last good pass rusher and his speed and bust are on an elite level. It was a great pick.

I'm sure the same group will bitch and moan tomorrow bc we didn't take the guy the media said we were gonna take.

Conan Obrien Mocking GIF by First We Feast
You can find backup prospect EDGE in later rounds as well. You can't find starting OL and WR or CB in later rounds. Perspective. Is Chop starting? Okay then why has he been labeled as a prospect. Is he not starting? Then why did we draft him in the first when we have Chubb and Phillips and so many other needs?

Outside of BPA it doesn't make sense.

If you didn't know who Chop was before the draft, I have no pitty for you. And shame on you for looking at mock drafts and falling in love with a Center prospect at 21, instead of researching who would be good for this team.

He was a top prospect. You can find Oline and WRs in the later rounds. His pass rushing skills are only found in round 1. Chop was the last good pass rusher and his speed and bust are on an elite level. It was a great pick.

I'm sure the same group will bitch and moan tomorrow bc we didn't take the guy the media said we were gonna take.

Conan Obrien Mocking GIF by First We Feast

Here here

You can find backup prospect EDGE in later rounds as well. You can't find starting OL and WR or CB in later rounds. Perspective. Is Chop starting? Okay then why has he been labeled as a prospect. Is he not starting? Then why did we draft him in the first when we have Chubb and Phillips and so many other needs?

You have more faith than me that JP or Chubb will be back at full speed anytime soon. I hope but this is a smart ass pick. Wanted Verse but Wood Chopper sounds good to me.

I love Jalaen Phillips but the Achilles is a serious injury for a guy like that who relies on his burst. It’s naive to think he’ll be the same guy in 2024. I don’t share your opinion of Chubb in the least bit though. He definitely doesn’t command double teams. Most of the plays he made this year were against really bad players or on plays that came from someone else’s initial pressure. He relies on stunts to get to the QB. Even Van Ginkel was better off the edge than Chubb, when it came to beating OTs.

Shaq Barrett is short term insurance.

This is the second most important position in football and the biggest weakness of our team down the stretch last year.

This kid can rush the passer from inside or outside. He’ll be relied upon heavily right away.
Fair. Since it's the off-season I will try to come up with some proof of my double team claim, saw it quite a bit. Perhaps beginning of season not, but towards the end he was a force. Stunts, absolutely, and he was very good at them.

To bring this back to context though, as a starter, I mean if we are to be honest here, as he was drafted, with the injuries, Chop is on the job ready for this? I'm concerned he can't learn behind Chubb fwiw. I'm concerned he's relying on speed in the NFL where tackles will put him in the ground.

I live very close to Penn State and have a reasonable amount of familiarity with the team, both when Wake played and now. I don't really see Chris' comparison, but Wake wasn't Wake when he was in college.

When healthy, Wake was an exceptional run-jump athlete for his time. He was a very good prospect coming out of HS. His knee got destroyed in an early-season game and it really set back his development the rest of his college career.

Chop was a five-star HS player, signed with his in-state school Maryland and raised a lot of eyebrows when he transferred to Penn State after freshman year. He's a little shorter/stockier/compact than what we're used to from DE/Edge guys these days, but could physically overpower a lot of pass pro.

I didn't see the kind of production that would make me comfortable against the better teams on Penn State's schedule -- Ohio State and Michigan. It concerns me. His highlight tape was built around dominating opponents that already were physically overmatched. When the playing field was a little more even, he wasn't nearly as visible.

It's an all-right pick, but not one with which I'm comfortable, let alone excited. I think Phillips and Chubb both are a lot better pros. I'd rather have drafted Barton instead of a player who might start a few games while Phillips and Chubb get healthy and then won't see the field nearly as much for the last 10-11 games of the season -- unless this is an indication that Chubb is a lot farther from returning than I believed.

I don't know that this moves the needle much for us this year or next.

There is an argument he was the BPA in the Miami draft room.

Chop Robenson is a FREAK, like he's gonna blow by ppl and if he develops a spin move or a good swim move were talking potential Dwight Freeny level player here.

You have more faith than me that JP or Chubb will be back at full speed anytime soon. I hope but this is a smart ass pick. Wanted Verse but Wood Chopper sounds good to me.
I do admittedly. I've been following their progress, Phillips specifically. Think this dude is coming back hungry. Chubb, I can only hope, there's no other reason.

Anybody making the Harris comparison is just admitting they never watched Chop play. Harris was criticized for being the least athletic 1st round pick taken that year while Chop is considered a freak athlete. Harris was a guy considered a safe pick while Chop is considered a high upside pick. Harris had relatively polished hand use while Chop is considered a weakness. I guess neither on is/was considered good against the run.

These picks are not similar. He wasn't my first choice, but these posts calling him a Harris clone are ridiculous.

Yes he is..

We can watch every rep and analyze how many plays this dude disrupts, it’s unique how he does it

This is supported by his pff grades finishing 3rd and 4th highest graded pass rusher in the country the last two years
IMG_8193.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8192.jpeg
    IMG_8192.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I say we double down on the DL and get one of these DTs.
Fair. Since it's the off-season I will try to come up with some proof of my double team claim, saw it quite a bit. Perhaps beginning of season not, but towards the end he was a force. Stunts, absolutely, and he was very good at them.

To bring this back to context though, as a starter, I mean if we are to be honest here, as he was drafted, with the injuries, Chop is on the job ready for this? I'm concerned he can't learn behind Chubb fwiw. I'm concerned he's relying on speed in the NFL where tackles will put him in the ground.

Why Will tackles put him in the ground? He’s got great size. A lot of his biggest plays were made rushing up the middle. He can line up anywhere. He’s not some tweener.

Do you really think Anthony Weaver didn’t sign off on this guy? He’s probably licking his chops, no pun intended.

He was first team all Big 10 despite his “stats”. That tells you something.

Back
Top Bottom