Chop | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chop

My questions why there, why our 1st? We have pocket disrupters with Phillips. Sure, Chubb needs a replacement in 2 years, not now. Making the argument about injury, sure, not in the 1st. We have a year on that. CB and OL need replacements NOW and in the future. His skill set just doesn't make sense to me and also, for all the drama of this being Mike McDaniels first time being able to pick we go Defense? Okay, splat.

Chubb wasn’t that good at creating pressure. Most of his sacks didn’t come his ability to beat an OT. They came from the QB having nowhere to go with the ball. He hustles but he doesn’t have pass rush skills like you’d expect.

He had 3 sacks against one of the worst OTs in the league, Mekhi Becton. He has another on an unblocked play against Dallas, he had one in garbage time against Carolina where they were passing we by play. He had another late in the first pats game when Mac Jones was passing every play and had nowhere to go with the ball. He had another against the Eagles when Jaelen Philkips blew by Lane Johnson to force Hurts to step into Chubb.

He hustles and he can chase down plays but pass rushers need to be able to beat OTs straight up with their athletic ability and Chubb isn’t that. He relies on stunts to get him into the QBs face.

And let’s not forget his epic failure against Tennessee. Will Levis shook him off and he proceeded to make the most selfish play imaginable that cost us dearly.

Not excited about this one...but as I said in another post, this organization loves to try and get by with a weak OL...trend continues.

Pulling hard for the kid to be a stud...hopefully soon'ish.

My questions why there, why our 1st? We have pocket disrupters with Phillips. Sure, Chubb needs a replacement in 2 years, not now. Making the argument about injury, sure, not in the 1st. We have a year on that. CB and OL need replacements NOW and in the future. His skill set just doesn't make sense to me and also, for all the drama of this being Mike McDaniel's first time being able to pick we go Defense?

Okay, splat.

Just throwing out my disappointment in the pick at position, not necessarily the player. Chop is good, and I'm not upset about HIM. I'm upset we went with that position because it was BPA.
I wanted Fautanu, didn’t want a receiver at 21, didn’t want a corner at 21, no safety deserved the 21, no tight ends worth 21, so after all the top lineman were gone then either pick the best projected player on the edge or trade down ya know?

We lost van Ginkel, we lost Ogbah, Chubb and Phillips had major injuries.

I think the lore you watch the kid you will start to see how unique he is and how much upside he does have

Last edited:
Chubb wasn’t that good at creating pressure. Most of his sacks didn’t come his ability to beat an OT. They came from the QB having nowhere to go with the ball. He hustles but he doesn’t have pass rush skills like you’d expect.

He had 3 sacks against one of the worst OTs in the league, Mekhi Becton. He has another on an unblocked play against Dallas, he had one in garbage time against Carolina where they were passing we by play. He had another late in the first pats game when Mac Jones was passing every play and had nowhere to go with the ball. He had another against the Eagles when Jaelen Philkips blew by Lane Johnson to force Hurts to step into Chubb.

He hustles and he can chase down plays but pass rushers need to be able to beat OTs straight up with their athletic ability and Chubb isn’t that. He relies on stunts to get him into the QBs face.
I didn't say Chubb was a disrupter per sae, I said Phillips was. Chubb is a quintessential DE in the fact that he demands double teams and can pressure. There is a need from one side or the other for both of those types. Your bruiser and your finesse. I love both our DEs and hope they come back in full form. That said, you can't assure that and you definitely can't bet on it, nor should we. But you absolutely do not place a 1st on it. We.have talent in buckets at DE, is it a gamble, perhaps, but we have so many other positions that aren't even gambles, they are holes.

I’m okay with the pick - edge and OL were my ideal first two picks… although I preferred OL first, I won’t complain.

Hopefully we get OL next round and this guy is a stud.

I wanted Fautanu, didn’t want a receiver at 21, didn’t want a corner at 21, no safety deserved the 21, no tight ends worth 21, so after all the top lineman were gone then either pick the best projected player on the edge or trade down ya know?

I think the lore you watch the kite you will start to see how unique he is and how much upside he does have
I did as well, that's why I'm kind of pissed we didn't move up just a spot two or three. I know it requires a partner, it his talent/our need/our ammo next year with comps, im hoping it was explored. We'll never know.

Chop was my number 2 edge in the draft behind only Latu.

Would I have gone Edge? probably not, but it is worth saying this. The drop off from Chop,Latu, Turner, and Verse to the next edge is A LOT bigger than the drop off from Barton to the IOL that will be available when we pick tomorrow
Good point on the drop-off.

I think the lore you watch the kid you will start to see how unique he is and how much upside he does have
I really hope you're right on this one Deej. Heard many of the same things about Dion Jordan...granted, his head probably caused most of his problems.

Danielle Hunter had 4.5 sacks in his entire collegiate career.

He’s got 87.5 sacks in 9 years in the NFL including a 2 year gap where he only played in 7 combined games. 14.5, 14.5, 10.5, 16.5 in his last four full seasons.

Micah Parsons who is Chop’s comparison by scouts had 6.5 in college and now has 40+ after 3 years.IMG_8190.png

Chop was my number 2 edge in the draft behind only Latu.

Would I have gone Edge? probably not, but it is worth saying this. The drop off from Chop,Latu, Turner, and Verse to the next edge is A LOT bigger than the drop off from Barton to the IOL that will be available when we pick tomorrow
Love this post, 100% correct. The question is if next year's DEs trump that drop off though. IMO, absolutely.

If you didn't know who Chop was before the draft, I have no pitty for you. And shame on you for looking at mock drafts and falling in love with a Center prospect at 21, instead of researching who would be good for this team.

He was a top prospect. You can find Oline and WRs in the later rounds. His pass rushing skills are only found in round 1. Chop was the last good pass rusher and his speed and bust are on an elite level. It was a great pick.

I'm sure the same group will bitch and moan tomorrow bc we didn't take the guy the media said we were gonna take.

Conan Obrien Mocking GIF by First We Feast

Back
Top Bottom