Chop | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chop

The only time I'm taking a project at 21 who has the tools but hasn't put it all together is if there aren't great options available -- *which there were* -- and said player is new to the game -- which he's been playing since he was 5.

The only silver lining is he has the athleticism to develop into a plus player -- kind of like Tindall -- where I also had to squint real hard to reconcile with Chenal taken right after.

All I know is I will continue to crucify Grier if Mitchell becomes a nightmare.

Dion Jordan?
Jason Taylor? I mean, his career could turn out to be great as well no? We didn’t trade valuable picks to trade up and draft him draft him like we did with Jordan and Dion was immature. How about we wait to see how he is in preseason and of course training camp and of course how he develops and contributes,in the rotation before we just **** all over the pick.

The issue I had with him as a prospect is that I agree with everything you said, but he had 60 tackles and 11.5 sacks in 3 collegiate seasons. The talent and athleticism have been there from day 1. He just never put any of it together on the field consistently. With the talent available when we picked, it seems a bit luxurious to take a developmental EDGE player over guys ready to start. People keeping saying Charles Harris 2.0, but my concern is more Dion Jordan 2.0 minus all the weed hopefully.
The numbers relative to the consistent disruption are miss leading, imo coordinators and their qbs were aware of the player and adjusted the tempo and direction for which they did things.

He does things you cant teach, he plays so hard every play its a treat to watch. He plays on both sides of the formation, plays all over the line, rush from the inside as well, drops in coverage fliudly, sets the edge very well.

I just think he has a unique style of play that were not used to seeing, im not worried about the lack of stats..i agree with PFF in their assessment, elite metrics rushing the passer for two years. They are seeing him win the play not just get a number

The only time I'm taking a project at 21 who has the tools but hasn't put it all together is if there aren't great options available -- *which there were* -- and said player is new to the game -- which he's been playing since he was 5.

The only silver lining is he has the athleticism to develop into a plus player -- kind of like Tindall -- where I also had to squint real hard to reconcile with Chenal taken right after.

All I know is I will continue to crucify Grier if Mitchell becomes a nightmare.
Tindall imo lacks pure instincts, this player does not

His sack production is the killer. apparently he has one hell of a first step. Just not sure why he doesn’t get the sacks
Perhaps he needs some more development on his techniques such as his hands that he himself said he is working on. That stuff is very teachable and he’s got good coaches and players on our team to help him with that.

So unbelievably tired of the last sentence clause.

The guy just made tens of millions of dollars. He’s not gonna bag groceries. He might buy the grocery store.
The 21st pick will make roughly $14-15M over the next 4 years. There has been a scale for rookie contract salaries for a while (the 21st pick last year got $14.2M over 4 years).

The last sentence clause is a common expression in any field for people who can’t cut it at their job. The average American could probably make $14M last a lifetime. But it would be easy to spend that much money on cars and homes if you are not smart with your finances.

Tindall imo lacks pure instincts, this player does not

You don't even really need amazing instincts on the edge so I'm not gonna make a huge fuss about that. The jarring lack of production of an apparent student of the game is what gets me.

Maybe a bit high but if he wasn't going to be there with with our next pick and they think he can get after Rodgers, Maye and Allen then I'm all for it. You really never can have enough pass rushers. I think that he is a guy that we can use as versatile chess piece in our defense. I didn't spend much time watching him before the draft but I remember his speed and his ability to bull rush much bigger O lineman stood out. It also stood out that he didn't have any legit pass rush moves. Just relied on speed and athleticism. I think that he will fill Van Ginkel's role nicely. Similar size and far more athletic. This is def. a wait and see pick. He has massive potential but we know how that works out for us most of the time. Dude was absolutely pumped to be going to the Dolphins though. Absolutely love to see that. I want guys that want to be here. I know I will get hammered for this but I'd love to see us make a play for De Jean tonight. Would be totally neglecting the line in the first 2 rounds which would make it imperative to pick up more depth in the next wave of cuts. I keep hearing about what a stud he would be in the Ravens defense. Why not ours with Weaver?

They don't need a lineman. Were already locked up at LT, C, RT and they are content with the guards they have on the roster. This offense is designed to mask any of those flaws anyways, as we just witnesses last season when we played most of it with an injured and patch worked OL.

Its like people forget that Chubb and Phillips are injured and aren't going to be there at the start of the year. Chop isnt a reach, most places had him in the first round and at pick 21 I am perfectly fine taking him there.

I was hoping OL at #21, but I agree . . . needs as seen by fans don't correlate with needs as seen by staff. For now, I won't be shocked with no OL in R2 (but I'm hoping)

This is a fair take and I very much appreciate your opinion but don't you think strategically this was a very poor decision. We have a very limited window here with Tyreek probably gone in two years. I would've much rather taken a more refined player than another high risk high reward project that will probably take 3 years to hit if he does. This isn't a rebuild we need to try and win now.

If he doesn't make real contributions in 2024, we can say it's a bad pick. I think his athleticism gives him a decent floor - it's more of a question of how likely he is to hit his high-end outcomes.

Watching some Van Noy for Baltimore last year, and they gave him a ton of space - really schemed it up so the OT was on an island - and they ran him on twists and stunts. Van Noy is well beyond his prime, but he posted 9 sacks in 2023. With Robinson's speed and quickness, it's an exciting role/fit.

His sacks numbers aren't great, but his sack+QB hit numbers are OK, and his pure pressure numbers are among the best in the class. It's not exactly what you want, but it's not like you're starting from zero.

In the second chart here, you see that Chop Robinson had the best combo of pressure % and time to pressure in the class. So, how much of his lack of sacks and (to a lesser extent) hits was due to Penn State allowing easy/quick passes? I think there's some of that.

Last edited:
I was hoping OL at #21, but I agree . . . needs as seen by fans don't correlate with needs as seen by staff. For now, I won't be shocked with no OL in R2 (but I'm hoping)
We had the #1 offense in total YPG, the #1 passing offense, and the #6 rushing offense. Tied for 4th fewest sacks allowed.

LT Armstead - 10 starts
LG Cotton - 8 starts
C Williams - 9 starts
RG Hunt - 10 starts
RT Jackson - 16 starts

They can make it work, we played a large part of the season without these starters. People are creating massive needs that don't exist.

The 21st pick will make roughly $14-15M over the next 4 years. There has been a scale for rookie contract salaries for a while (the 21st pick last year got $14.2M over 4 years).

The last sentence clause is a common expression in any field for people who can’t cut it at their job. The average American could probably make $14M last a lifetime. But it would be easy to spend that much money on cars and homes if you are not smart with your finances.

I understand. It just bugs me as demeaning. The assumption that an athlete who doesn't make it as a professional will immediately be broke and have no other contribution to society aside from flipping burgers, bagging groceries, or <insert unskilled, minimum-wage paying job here> just reeks of condescension.

Back
Top Bottom