Chop | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chop

Glad you found the outlier bro, kudos!

EDIT: He was also drafted in the 3rd round. Where project players SHOULD be drafted.
Grier made this comparison last night to Danielle Hunter only having 4 sacks in college then said “but I don’t wanna pressure him that he has to become Danielle Hunter” lol kinda seems like a weird comparison being that Hunter was a 3rd rd pick

The numbers relative to the consistent disruption are miss leading, imo coordinators and their qbs were aware of the player and adjusted the tempo and direction for which they did things.

He does things you cant teach, he plays so hard every play its a treat to watch. He plays on both sides of the formation, plays all over the line, rush from the inside as well, drops in coverage fliudly, sets the edge very well.

I just think he has a unique style of play that were not used to seeing, im not worried about the lack of stats..i agree with PFF in their assessment, elite metrics rushing the passer for two years. They are seeing him win the play not just get a number
My concern the entire offseason has been what we do when half our OL is injured and Hill and/or Waddle are out. These are real concerns based on what has happened the past 2 seasons.

I had no problem with Robinson as a day 2 prospect. But I simply don’t see his fit this season when Chubb and Phillips are healthy and we have a very similar player in Barrett (role wise). It’s the type of pick you make when you have the luxury of a roster with no holes.

I want Chop to be an All-Pro player and retire in Miami. I want all the guys we draft to succeed. But it will kill me if injuries derail our offense and we limp into a wild card exit for the third year in a row.

I’m bummed this morning. Undersized DE. Flaws in his pass rush arsenal. Struggled in the running game.

I did see, however, what people are talking about as far as him being disruptive and it not showing up on the stat sheet.

That and his get-off is nasty. Bigger-lumbering tackles will struggle in pass pro against him, but should be able to swallow him up in the run. 🤷

I get the disruption statistics with regard to Chop, but there are a couple of things you need to know to put this into full context.

-- Manny Diaz ran an uber-aggressive defense. There were A LOT of blitzes, I'm guessing it was among the highest percentage in DI football last year.

-- For as good as Chop was, he didn't come into last season as Penn State's most-feared defensive player, or even its most-feared pass rusher. That was Abdul Carter, who played on the opposite side. Carter is so highly-regarded that he was given No. 11, the same number they gave to LaVar Arrington and Micah Parson.

One other thing -- this isn't saying Chop's going to be a bust. He's much better than Charles Harris. I just have questions about how much he gets on the field if Chubb and Phillips are healthy, because I have trouble seeing him getting to their level (in Chubb's case, at least when he's motivated). There seemed to be fits for us that were a lot better at 21 who fit at positions we need to fill.

I’m bummed this morning. Undersized DE. Flaws in his pass rush arsenal. Struggled in the running game.

I did see, however, what people are talking about as far as him being disruptive and it not showing up on the stat sheet.

That and his get-off is nasty. Bigger-lumbering tackles will struggle in pass pro against him, but should be able to swallow him up in the run. 🤷
OLB, not a pure DE. He will line up in multiple positions, by OLB standards his size isnt bad.

Let this sink in….We just spent the 21st pick of the draft on a sub package guy. Chris Grier strikes again.

Though I wanted O-line, and got to admit a bit disappointed we did not get some help on the line, Chop might still work out to be an exceptional pick with some work.

It's true that he did not get many Sacks, but what he did do is disrupt a lot of plays with that Elite burst. He brought a lot of pressure to opponents, and he did disrupt a good amount of running plays. So all he needs is to show a bit more discipline, with better control, and start finishing more, and he could be a great pickup.

Just got to hope he's not another Tindall type pick where he has insane athletic ability, but because of a weakness, can't get the most from it.

Grier made this comparison last night to Danielle Hunter only having 4 sacks in college then said “but I don’t wanna pressure him that he has to become Danielle Hunter” lol kinda seems like a weird comparison being that Hunter was a 3rd rd pick
Danielle Hunter is going to end up a Hall of Famer. Who cares where he was drafted? Tyreek Hill was a fifth round pick, should teams not target someone who will be “The Next Tyreek Hill” in the first round?

OLB, not a DE. He will line up in multiple positions, by OLB standards his size isnt bad.

I can't hate adding guys with rare and valuable skillsets. Philosophically, I believe in investing in OL, BUT coach McDaniel obv sees it differently. Kinda scary tbh, but if you’re going to go Edge Round 1, and it's obviously a sound move from a financial perspective, pick guys who have athletic trump cards. Robinson moves like a dream.

Danielle Hunter is going to end up a Hall of Famer. Who cares where he was drafted? Tyreek Hill was a fifth round pick, should teams not target someone who will be “The Next Tyreek Hill” in the first round?
Danielle Hunter is 6’5 280 if you wanna compare him to completely different size player with different skill sets that was picked in the 3rd rd that also only had 4 sacks his last year go for it. IMO that’s a huge outlier and a weird comparison to make knowing what we have on our roster

Danielle Hunter is 6’5 280 if you wanna compare him to completely different size player with different skill sets that was picked in the 3rd rd that also only had 4 sacks his last year go for it. IMO that’s a huge outlier and a weird comparison to make knowing what we have on our roster

Hunter was 252 lbs at the Combine - 2 lbs lighter than Robinson despite being 2 1/2" taller.

Hunter was 252 lbs at the Combine - 2 lbs lighter than Robinson despite being 2 1/2" taller.
Do you see Chop and Hunter as similar players?

I’ll add imvho CHOP is looking kinda maxed out on weight rn and maybe should slim down a bit while Hunter had 3-4 inches to gain 30lbs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom