Chris Grier - GM of the Year? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Grier - GM of the Year?

Agree with 90%.....But there is NO WAY that Iggy gets a C -. That is a complete failure of a draft pick as it stands right now. At best I’d give a D-.
The worst grade anyone can give the kid (and he's definitely a kid) is an I = incomplete.

But ya know -- a few weeks ago he came in after the X was ejected and did a solid job!

So if you're basing your grade on the way the kid performed way back in the beginning

of the season -- that's either agenda driven or you really don't understand rookie learning

curves -- especially with a kid that came out of college with minimal CB experience.

He'll be one of the best CBs in a year or 2. Just watch. And when that happens give some credit.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF

Last edited:
The worst grade anyone can give the kid (and he's definitely a kid) is an I = incomplete.

But ya know -- a few weeks ago he came after the X was ejected and did a solid job!

So if you're basing your grade on the way the kid performed way back in the beginning

of the season -- that's either agenda driven or you really don't understand rookie learning

curves -- especially with a kid that came out of college with minimal CB experience.

He'll be one of the best CBs in a year or 2. Just watch. And when that happens give some credit.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF

While I am very critical of the pick, I agree with you that there is a chance that happens. Look at all the dbs that came in last year that took their lumps, all of them seem way more serviceable this year after 1 year in this system e.g. Nick Needham, Eric Rowe, Jamal Perry.

I am hoping Noah takes a leap forward in development next year into a good role player, and the next year into a starting caliber cb.

I will say that I have noticed that he is a physical specimen out there. His coverage looks like a rookie but his physique looks that of a vet.

Grier is the General Manager of the Dolphins'. The scouting department is a part of that, right? I'm curious who you think brought in McKenzie and Allen? Unable to think of another option, save Ross, I would assume it was Grier who decided to hire them. Can't we at least give Grier full credit for that decision?

Really, it's all about results as a GM. I'm impressed that he had no problem sharing the load with other highly experienced GM types. Thus far, the blueprint seems to have worked out. The rest of the league may try to emulate it now after seeing those results.

My point was that he wasn't as successful without those two guys around. Yes, he did hire them and yes that was a great move. You are right, he def had to put his ego aside to make those hires, but Grier has never struck me as egotistic, so kudos to that. Look im not arguing he had a great year, but he's also had some bad ones too. Just saying I hope this continues and its not an outlier.

But ya know -- a few weeks ago he came after the X was ejected and did a solid job!

My opinion. Of course.

BNF

The question is, can he get to that point, without playing. You obviously can get better through practice, film sessions, and coaching, but how much better he can get is going to be limited due to lack of actual experience. I like Needham, but if Iggy can't beat Needham out for slot next year, he might never reach the level because you have another year of being limited.

Iggy is a boundary corner. It is what he was drafted to be.

He doesn't need to 'beat out Needham', he needs to be trained up to be X's replacement, because that is why he was drafted, and he played well when X was ejected.

Too many posters think that players need to play right away. No, they need to play when they are needed... and his time doesn't start until X or Jones gets hurt or traded.

My point was that he wasn't as successful without those two guys around. Yes, he did hire them and yes that was a great move. You are right, he def had to put his ego aside to make those hires, but Grier has never struck me as egotistic, so kudos to that. Look im not arguing he had a great year, but he's also had some bad ones too. Just saying I hope this continues and its not an outlier.
This line is really tired IMO. When Grier was strapped with TBum / Gase and NOT having total command
of the operation is NOT comparable to what he's achieved post December 2018 when he was truly awarded
100% GM control of the franchise.
Since that moment his record is absolutely sterling including the hiring of
Flo, Reggie and Marvin and pretty much the entire transformation of the roster!!!

So he's either been unbelievably lucky with EVERY move he's made or he's a certified MONSTER!

Look it up. Get the facts. His regime started December 2018 and includes ALL decisions since that time.
No more Gase. No more TBum. And the rest is history...

Basically, the thought is we’re going to look to really build this organization based on our needs and if it takes a year or so – two years, three years – we’re going to be there and we’re going to be an organization. Fortunately, I’ve been looking around and we have someone within the organization that I believe can do the best job of anybody in leading us to that, and that’s Chris Grier. He’s probably one of the most respected people in the NFL. You talk to people (and) all along, I always got, ‘Hey, Chris Grier.’ I mean, a lot of people really haven’t dealt with him. He’s been a guy behind the scenes in making a lot of the personnel decisions but not leading the organization. Chris will have total responsibility of leading the organization. He will work together with a new coach. He will make all football decisions and report to me
. -- Ross

Last edited:
Iggy is a boundary corner. It is what he was drafted to be.

He doesn't need to 'beat out Needham', he needs to be trained up to be X's replacement, because that is why he was drafted, and he played well when X was ejected.

Too many posters think that players need to play right away. No, they need to play when they are needed... and his time doesn't start until X or Jones gets hurt or traded.
I agree. Ppl saying he cant beat out Needham are missing the mark.

Understanding leverage and technique of slot corner is really not the same as playing wide.

Let the kid focus on one, before worrying about the other.

Judging a rd1 pick, before completion of a single season where, arguably, the best tandom in the league is in front of him on the depth chart?

I think there is more going on in your mind than just the player.

Did you want someone else? Do you see it as a wasted pick? Did iggy deflower your daughter?

I mean it's pretty much universally accepted that players can't be fairly judged on part of a rookie season.
More going on? I’m basing everything I typed on his performance so far this year. It’s been horrible. Please point to one....Just one....Positive play he’s made. I’ll wait.

Furthermore, I’m not saying he can’t/won’t improve ( I hope he becomes X. Howard 2.0), but as of now, this is a horrible draft choice.

More going on? I’m basing everything I typed on his performance so far this year. It’s been horrible. Please point to one....Just one....Positive play he’s made. I’ll wait.

Furthermore, I’m not saying he can’t/won’t improve ( I hope he becomes X. Howard 2.0), but as of now, this is a horrible draft choice.

He recovered Jakeem's fumbles against the Bungles.

Last edited:
That’s good. Let’s let our first round CB focus on the boundary where we have two pro bowl corner locked up until 2025.

That’s good. Let’s let our first round CB focus on the boundary where we have two pro bowl corner locked up until 2025.
Where one of the two is a major injury risk and was coming off knee surgery... odd how you missed this.

Where one of the two is a major injury risk and was coming off knee surgery... odd how you missed this.

Thats great and all. Plenty of players that have injured their knee and not had an issue after that. It’s 2020 not 1990.

Thats great and all. Plenty of players that have injured their knee and not had an issue after that. It’s 2020 not 1990.
Go ahead. Pretend that most of the board had not decided that Howard was done... as was discussed in many threads, or an injury ravaged shell of himself... which was discussed in many threads... or soon to be traded... which was discussed in many threads...

Go ahead... pretend all that didn't happen, so you can hang on to your resentment that we didn't draft whoever YOU wanted.

It's funny.

Go ahead. Pretend that most of the board had not decided that Howard was done... as was discussed in many threads, or an injury ravaged shell of himself... which was discussed in many threads... or soon to be traded... which was discussed in many threads...

Go ahead... pretend all that didn't happen, so you can hang on to your resentment that we didn't draft whoever YOU wanted.

It's funny.

Ahh yes. Because fan base is the true barometer of what we should do. You can check my posts, I called out a ton of ridiculous “Howard is done and garbage” posts. It’s all hogwash.

I hated the Iggy pick at the time. But after review and thinking of it more, I don’t hate the pick or the thought behind it, with one caveat.

You just signed the highest paid corner in the league and across from him you have another highest paid corner in the league. Will Howard’s injuries catch up to him and slow him down? Draft a young talented corner that could potentially step in, in a couple years.

That is all great thoughts and I’m on board. As long as he can play the slot if Howard doesn’t slow. That’s the caveat. A first round pick needs to get on the field, at least after year one.

If not, then you take a corner in rounds 3-5 and hope he can develop in a couple years and if he doesn’t, then you find one when that time comes. It’s pretty simple. I do not believe they drafted Iggy without the thought he could play slot.

Back
Top Bottom