Chris Grier meets with the media | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Grier meets with the media

Ah. Now I see what’s bothering you about all of this.

This is a Grier sucks post.

1. Usually, you would be right. Walking away from what is in theory a blue chip talent IS a sign of mistakes.

2. But, in this case, we’re getting 100% of our investment back. That makes a huge difference compared to just letting go or getting a significantly lesser comp

3. Minkah himself said he wanted the role we were playing him in right up until he discovered instead of being an nfl talent on a college team, he was playing against nfl talents and all of a sudden, he wanted to tell the coaches how he should be used.

4. He was rumored to be a locker room issue last year over the same issues. Not a team captain this year seems to suggest that our “star leader” hasn’t been leading

Sometimes, some of these grown boys still need a little time to cook to become the leader of men they like to think they are. Especially when they were the bright light on the bright light team and the get a taste of adversity for first time.

It’s not quite 100% value, which is part of the problem. The reason is because the time the team invested in Minkah was wasted and they now have another hole to fill, and we don’t know if we can fill it with anything comparable. At minimum, it will take another 2 years to develop a player that we already had on the roster.

Again and again and... Why is it that some folks refuse to acknowledge the significant structural changes Grier implemented right out of the gate. Specifically the addition of Marvin Allen and Reggie McKenzie. And by the way -- additional boots on the ground doing the down and dirty investigative work...

>>> Chris Grier will not be running the draft like a dictator!

GEEZ.

Beyond that, in my opinion it's totally disingenuous to not acknowledge the roster we had (as of 12-2018) was significantly influenced by the schizophrenic impulses of a-holes like TBum and Gase. Yeah, Grier was in the org but no one really believes the TEAM was being constructed per his schematic.

And, as he has clearly stated and restated, the process moving forward is entirely collaborative -- meaning Flores will definitely be involved with talent eval and draft decisions. Or I could just say there's ZERO CHANCE "Grier" is going to draft a player Flores is NOT on board with.

So the results, or lack thereof, will also be collaborative.

Bottom line -- regardless of who could running the program -- there are no guarantees

but that does NOT mean we've failed before the process has a chance to prove out!

You and I need to hang out and make drunken NFL haikus.

I would have loved to hear him say that Josh Rosen would get a fair shot to become the team's franchise QB. It would at least convince me that they have an open mind as to who would be their first pick. And not jus Tua, Tua, Tua.

Pretty sure Rosen has had a fair shot in practice...They already know what they have in Josh..

Smart of him to give a press conference to get everything out in the open rather than let chaos take hold. It sounds like he is safe no matter what happens this season, including if he ends up firing Flores at end of season.

I still don't agree with the approach of selling off young, high draft pick foundational pieces like Minkah and Tunsil, no matter the compensation. Selling a known quanity for more lottery tickets isn't really a sound approach, even if its sexy. Sadly, this coaching staff butted heads with Minkah for whatever reason.

That's been a huge problem with Miami coaching staffs. They always have some issue with talent and need to get rid of them. And it never ends in success. But here's the kicker... Grier hired this coaching staff. So in the end, this Minkah failure falls on him either way. I give him credit for at least maintaining that draft value with the trade, but either way you cut it he goofed with Minkah and/or the coaching staff.

IMO that is an irrational opinion to hold. You can hold it, but the type of compensation thrown at Grier, he would have been shown the door by everyone involved with the Dolphins. From the ownership to the fan base. No one wanted Tunsil or Minkah gone. We all wanted them to be corner stone players to build upon and an example of what other players can follow in their careers. Circumstances changed that. Not circumstances that the franchise was looking for.

And with respect, throwing past coaching staffs sins onto the current staff, again is an irrational opinion to hold IMO. Winning in the NFL is very very hard. Just because some of us remember being in the play off hunt every year doesn't make it an easy task. We were lucky to have had Shula and then Marino and to a smaller extent JJ. IMO the key word is "LUCKY"

It’s not quite 100% value, which is part of the problem. The reason is because the time the team invested in Minkah was wasted and they now have another hole to fill, and we don’t know if we can fill it with anything comparable. At minimum, it will take another 2 years to develop a player that we already had on the roster.

Any time not having a definitive at QB on your roster is essentially “time wasted”.

This helps us in that regard. So while yea you would like to keep your recently drafted 11th overall on the team, he didnt wanna be part of this or the role they had envisioned for him (a role that his scouting report highlighted) . . . .so they made moves.

Why you continue to spin this into a front office failure is just mind blowing to be honest. This was handled extremely well.

Thought it was a good presser. Basically was honest they werent planning on trading Tunsil or Minkah. I laughed when he said they got a "historic haul" for that trade.
Kind of the understatment of the decade IMO.

This is not necessarily true. First, you can find a player in free agency who is just as if not more "developed." Second, I don't know where this idea that Minkah was about to turn into some combination of Ed Reid and Jalen Ramsey comes from. Third, a niche player like Minkah is not somehow necessary for long term success.

Minkah might turn into a perennial pro bowler or he might end up just a solid NFLer who is the less than the sum of his parts. The bottom line though is that we got a better return for him than someone like Earl Thomas would have gotten and perhaps better than even Jalen Ramsey will bring for the Jags.

Or to think of it this way, the return we got for Minkah absolutely blows away the return for a quarterback who was drafted one spot ahead of him.

Are you suggesting he should of hired a coaching staff that suited Minkah above all?

Minkah even said he was a swiss army knife, they put him in that role and he was like nah dude. And they tried to convince him to stay and be a part of the future and he was like nah dude.

Not sure why you want to pin this as a failure, when they got a ROI in the end.

Maybe it was just about not wanting to be a bottom 3 team for 3-4 years?

No, but then you must concede his talent evaluation led to him selecting a player that wasn’t as good as advertised. So either he drafted a “bust” or selected a coaching staff who can’t develop talent and handle adversity.

Tomlin managed to handle Antonion Brown’s ego for years while getting the most out of his talent. Our coaching staff couldn’t even handle 2 games. That’s not a good omen, IMO.
OMG the flipping opposite!

He drafted players that were so good they held a lot of value to a lot different NFL franchises. My goodness!

Last edited:
Any time not having a definitive at QB on your roster is essentially “time wasted”.

This helps us in that regard. So while yea you would like to keep your recently drafted 11th overall on the team, he didnt wanna be part of this or the role they had envisioned for him (a role that his scouting report highlighted) . . . .so they made moves.

Why you continue to spin this into a front office failure is just mind blowing to be honest. This was handled extremely well.

I think it’s more of a failure of the coaching staff being unable to figure out how to work with a talented young player. But for those who don’t want to place any accountability on the coaching staff, then you must admit there was an error in drafting this player in the first place.

After it reached a boiling point, I give Grier total credit for doing whatever he could to get good value for the player. I’ve said that from the beginning.

I would have loved to hear him say that Josh Rosen would get a fair shot to become the team's franchise QB. It would at least convince me that they have an open mind as to who would be their first pick. And not jus Tua, Tua, Tua.

IMO it's smart to treat Rosen like everyone else -- he's in a competitive situation and is
still in the developmental stage -- therefore he's yet to earn anything -- no entitlements...

Chris stated Rosen has acknowledged he's learnt more in Miami than he has in his prior career.
I think that tells you something. Important.

Bottom line, we got Rosen for a 1-year deferred R2. A minimal "investment" by any standard.

Pretty sure Rosen has had a fair shot in practice...They already know what they have in Josh..

I don’t know man, I think they see a very talented QB who has basically been handled poorly on the mental side of things and Grier even said as much, to the point where he commented that Josh has exclaimed that he has learned more in a few months here than he has in his previous years playing football.

I think they will at least give him a fair shot at some point this season but throwing him on the road vs a very aggressive Cowboys defense may not be the spot.

I still think after the bye week is ideal. Obviously it will take a lot for him to prove his worth but at this point may as well see what he has.

I just don't understand the Rosen deal then...Why grab Rosen if you are dead set on picking up a new QB? Perhaps acquiring too many QBs is better than holding none!
Why does this keep getting brought up? Do we need a timeline of events stickied to the site?

Rosen was dealt before the season which means; he was dealt before Tunsil and before Minkah ...who knows what the team's plans were prior to absolutely fleecing the Texans and getting another potential top 10 pick from the Steelers? They got their doors blown off with value and decided to PIVOT.

Can't cry over a free 2nd rounder when we've absolutely STOCKED our armory for 2 years.

Less be real we can beat jets if our offense get better

As bad as the Jets looked their pass rush was cranking it up
Mayfeild was running all over and taking hits

With our OL we might get sacked 7-10 times

Back
Top Bottom