Chris Grier meets with the media | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Grier meets with the media

Not sure why the Grier hate on here. For once we have a plan sticking to it and the head coach and gm are on the same page.

I don't know either...

But if I went on another teams fan forum, and openly admitted
I was NOT a fan of their team, and then consistently took pot
shots and snipes at their ORG, I'd probably be considered

a TROLL.

Just sayin'

if the show fits...

I think it’s more of a failure of the coaching staff being unable to figure out how to work with a talented young player. But for those who don’t want to place any accountability on the coaching staff, then you must admit there was an error in drafting this player in the first place.

After it reached a boiling point, I give Grier total credit for doing whatever he could to get good value for the player. I’ve said that from the beginning.

I mean its been 2 games, the guy wanted out after 1 . . . Coach Flo shouldn’t have to kiss Minkah’s ass this early in the season. These guys have been around the top NFL organization for a decade plus . . . And have helped develop many guys on that Patriots defense . . . Maybe start shifting some accountability towards the player and his true colors showing over wanting to tear down the coaching staff over this.

Money,drugs or women..pretty much the things guys will fight each other over.

What isn't true? One of them must be true.

Either Grier botched the pick on a troublesome player, or he hired a coaching staff who can't handle talented players who are a little difficult to handle.

If neither of these were true, the #11 pick from a year ago would still be on the team.
You're being obtuse just for the sake of being obtuse.

Minkah wanted out of Miami, they sat him down and tried to get him to stay and he refused. At which point is that the coaching staffs fault? You're trying to paint this as black or white, when it's not. And just because 1 player demands a trade doesn't indite the entire coaching staff or GM.

I mean its been 2 games, the guy wanted out after 1 . . . Coach Flo shouldn’t have to kiss Minkah’s *** this early in the season. These guys have been around the top NFL organization for a decade plus . . . And have helped develop many guys on that Patriots defense . . . Maybe start shifting some accountability towards the player and his true colors showing over wanting to tear down the coaching staff over this.
That's it there. Players seem to lack accountability with themselves and fans.

Agreed but his "I wouldn't disrespect the game by tanking" statement then is proof positive he's disingenuous at best and a liar at worst. So, why believe or trust anything else he says from here on? I'd rather he'd had say "we have a plan" or "we will do the best we can with the team we have" vs. out and out lying:

"I wouldn't disrespect the game with that. Again, no, we're not (tanking). We're going to try to win every game. I think that's disrespectful to even to say that. ... It's disheartening to hear people talk about it, to even say that. For a guy who respects the game as much as the game has done for me, when people say that, it's extremely sad."

How? Tanking the way I see it is the coaching staff would have to pull punches deliberately trying to lose. And that attitude would have to extend up to at least the GM and possibly the owner. Even this week they are going to try and beat the Cowboys. They know with the talent level of the team that is prob not going to happen. The coaching staff turns their focus for the season onto trying to figure out who they are going to keep. Basically and extend pre-season. This still means they coach them and give them plays to run that are designed for them to succed. IMO that is not tanking, that is being realistic.

It's my view the Tunsil trade changed every plan they had for 2019.

I think it’s more of a failure of the coaching staff being unable to figure out how to work with a talented young player. But for those who don’t want to place any accountability on the coaching staff, then you must admit there was an error in drafting this player in the first place.

After it reached a boiling point, I give Grier total credit for doing whatever he could to get good value for the player. I’ve said that from the beginning.
Every single one of your point/counter-points is putting 100% of the blame on the coaching staff or front office. Do you seriously not see how Minkah played a significant role in his departure from the team? Serious question.

How? Tanking the way I see it is the coaching staff would have to pull punches deliberately trying to lose. And that attitude would have to extend up to at least the GM and possibly the owner. Even this week they are going to try and beat the Cowboys. They know with the talent level of the team that is prob not going to happen. The coaching staff turns their focus for the season onto trying to figure out who they are going to keep. Basically and extend pre-season. This still means they coach them and give them plays to run that are designed for them to succed. IMO that is not tanking, that is being realistic.

It's my view the Tunsil trade changed every plan they had for 2019.

You can't be serious...

Here are my thoughts on Grier:

What I Like:
  • Has proven to get good trade value (unlike Tannenbaum)
  • Values having a large stockpile of draft picks to maximize opportunities
  • Does not blow money on over the hill high priced "star" free agents
  • Has a collaborative approach
  • Doesn't fear input from other talent evaluators (made some good hires of former GMs)
What I Don't Like:
  • I think he made the wrong HC hire when he had better options (IMO). Obviously, this is left to be seen, but early returns aren't great. I would feel much better about Grier if he went with Kris Richard.
  • He was a talent evaluator for nearly 2 decades of Dolphin mediocrity. In the 3 drafts where he was the one RUNNING the draft room, he came away with only one pro bowl player, and mostly role players or mediocre starters that wouldn't be starting on most teams. Great teams are built through the draft and have a high rate of 2nd and 3rd contract players drafted by the team. The Dolphins are horrid in that regard.
  • He is flipping recent first round picks who should be foundational pieces of the team for more lottery tickets who may or may not be as good as the players he sent out. I'm hoping that this is merely a one time thing as he transitions from Gase to Flores and tries to reset the team for a play for the franchise QB. However, if this is part of his mindset and will continue to be a thing moving forward, it is very troubling and a recipe for failure.

There are positives and negatives. I agree with the overall approach he took this offseason, but the flipping of Tunsil and Minkah troubled me. And looking at his drafts, his talent evaluation skills also concern me when thinking about him in charge of that massive haul of draft picks. That being said, the JJ approach of having 10+ draft picks may help him get more elite players just because there is a higher likellihood of hitting on players when you have more opportunities in the draft.

I know everyone wants to completely divorce Grier from the Gase/Tbum drafts, but he WAS running the draft room and he was the main talent evaluator. Those are facts. He is responsible.

Let's take Gesicki for example. Of course Grier was trying to identify players who would work with Gase, just as he is now doing for Flores, but it would be disengenuous to say Gase is responsible for Gesicki pick. Gase wasn't grinding Gesicki tape all season long. He let Grier know what kind of player he wanted, and Grier was in charge of evaluating the candidates and identifying the best one that fit Gase's mold. Grier ultimately owns that talent evaluation if he doesn't pan out.

Agreed but his "I wouldn't disrespect the game by tanking" statement then is proof positive he's disingenuous at best and a liar at worst. So, why believe or trust anything else he says from here on? I'd rather he'd had say "we have a plan" or "we will do the best we can with the team we have" vs. out and out lying:

"I wouldn't disrespect the game with that. Again, no, we're not (tanking). We're going to try to win every game. I think that's disrespectful to even to say that. ... It's disheartening to hear people talk about it, to even say that. For a guy who respects the game as much as the game has done for me, when people say that, it's extremely sad."
Oh my...

Coach speak

He is playing hard with the players he has

I just don't understand the Rosen deal then...Why grab Rosen if you are dead set on picking up a new QB? Perhaps acquiring too many QBs is better than holding none!
They had a dif plan pre Tunsil trade. IMO they were looking to simply win as many games as possible and to try to figure out what players they are going to keep for the future. Rosen was a deal that they felt they couldn't pass up. At worst he would be their cheap backup QB for years.

Every single one of your point/counter-points is putting 100% of the blame on the coaching staff or front office. Do you seriously not see how Minkah played a significant role in his departure from the team? Serious question.

Minkah didn't land in Davie in a UFO. This isn't hard. Grier drafted Minkah and hired the coaching staff. If Minkah had some personality flaws that led to his departure from the team, part of that is on the person who drafted him, no?

Back
Top Bottom